Poll: Man of the Match vs Huddersfield (1st Leg)...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Huddersfield (1st Leg)  

480 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Huddersfield (1st Leg)?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Lee
    • Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Reach
    • Jones
    • Rhodes
    • Winnall

313 votes for defence

52 votes midfield

2 votes Winnall 

We were playing Huddersfield, not Barca. 

Cant agree with the overwhelming majority, who see it as tactical mastery. For me it is a man who drastically under-estimates and mistrusts the quality he has at his disposal.

Westwood 7 - made crucial saves and a solid comfortable performance 

Hunt 7 - his flank seemed to be the one being used by Huddersfield but put in a solid performance. Made a brilliant professional foul as well.

Loovens 7 - made a mistake in the first half to allow them to hit the bar but other than that had wells in his pocket

Lees 8 - as above minus the mistake

Pudil 6 - constantly gave the ball away and didn't really help out reach at all when the rare chance ever came to get forward but never looked worried defensively

Wallace 5 - quiet couldn't get hold of the ball tactics didn't suit his game

Lee 6 - wasn't his usual self but was told to play deeper role

Bannan 6 - like lee didn't do anything wrong but was playing way too deep for him to influence. 

Reach 7 - had a good effort on goal kept the ball well and was brilliant defensive cover for puddles

FF 5 - just wasn't fit enough wasn't his usual self but he was playing because of the way we said up FF can provide that one piece of magic 

Fletcher 5 - in affective didn't do his job at holding up the ball which resulted in it coming straight back at us 

Jones 7 - solid when came on calm on the ball and good experience to have on the pitch 

Winnall 6 - worked hard when added to the came at least attempted to make something happen 

Rhodes 6 - as above 

the only thing hang I would change from yesterday's selection would probably would be jones in the middle with bannan and lee right reach left.

possibly would of started Rhodes and Winnal up top as well but that's only because of how they played when they came on. 

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

313 votes for defence

52 votes midfield

2 votes Winnall 

Cant agree with the overwhelming majority, who see it as tactical mastery. For me it is a man who drastically under-estimates and mistrusts the quality he has at his disposal.

Agree with you Holmowl but we deployed similar tactics against them earlier in the season and got the points, so I don't think you were ever going to see us steer too clear of that.

The reality is, despite a lull in form these past couple of months, they're a good footballing side coached very well and if you go toe to toe with them (i.e. try to play out, full backs high up the pitch, etc) you can get picked off because of the intensity of their press so high up the pitch - and that was the last thing we needed in that first leg!

Wagner had a little dig in his post-match interview saying "I don't know how their fans will react if they play that deep at home", trying to get into our heads. We'll be more expansive than we were Sunday most definitely, but the last thing we want to do is start too open, concede, then be frustrated & chasing it with them winding the clock down at every possible opportunity!

Keep it tight lads, let's get to HT 0-0 and then let the noise of the KOP suck in a couple of goals for us second half! 

Can't wait! UTO

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

313 votes for defence

52 votes midfield

2 votes Winnall 

Totally disagree we didn't want to come back to hillsborough losing the tie. So the team was set up not to lose with the hope of nicking a goal Huddersfield were good with the ball and the times we had the ball we was sloppy and couldn't get any momentum. 

Although the football was poor, passing, attacking intent etc, we stifled out Hudds and gained a respectable result in the end.

We'll need to up our game on Wednesday mind, players like Reach, Bannan, Wallace and whoever plays up top will need to perform. I actually thought the 3 i've mentioned and Fessi and Fletcher were quite poor but Huddersfield restricted us.

MOM for the back 5. Absolutely solid and keeping another clean sheet against a decent team bodes well.

Hopefully we'll be giving proper 8's and 9's on Wednesday and the players will thoroughly deserve it

On 5/14/2017 at 14:07, Last_Great_Hope said:

Anyone giving Hunt more than 4 needs to give their head a shake.

What?

I thought he was one of our better players.

On 5/14/2017 at 14:19, joelswfc said:

Was impressed with Jones when he came on. Made the necessary fouls, played some important passes and made some key interceptions.

Worth his money just by coming on and closing games out for 30 minutes, easy to understand why he's been promoted 3 times to the PL, clever player.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The way we set up tactically nobody was ever going to be stand out player, apart from maybe a few of our defenders who all did okay, I honestly was a little disappointed in Huddersfield they struggled big time to break us down considering how highly they're regarding for direct attacking football.

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

313 votes for defence

52 votes midfield

2 votes Winnall 

So how is your Carlos out campaign going...probably same as SWFC who hasn't been seen on here since we made the play offs so presumably hasn't paid his bet to the Childrens Hospital