Dissent

What on earth happened to that notion that referees were supposed to be cracking down on it by handing out more yellows this season?

Robinson for Birmingham got away with relative murder at Hillsborough, and Malone for Fulham was the same today against Reading. Both could have easily picked up at least 3 yellows just from dissent alone, and that's only with what was caught on camera.

Not that I'm going all Blavges and claiming the FA are against us specifically, but compared to this clip of Brentford earlier in the season it makes very little sense...

Guest Coyt

Gotta love the bit when Vibe gets sent off for them, the old girl in the jester hat and Brentford shirt effing and jeffin at the ref lol

The most ironic thing about the whole Jones red card is that he's probably one of the most polite footballers you'll ever meet.

It was a nonsense rule that should never have been brought in, just a shame we fell foul of it while nobody else seems to.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Reds and pens were given left right and centre for dissent and pulling shirts at corners, then it stopped.

Even Kermogant swore at/ abused the Lino today and nothing was done.

I can only think (logically) it's because the league's 'powers that be' have decided that the ref's authority can be questioned again on the pitch.

Fine; if that's the way it's to be...

But under pressure from whom have the league wilted? The clubs? The players' union? Or, God forbid, SKY???

Just seems strange to me that the league feel the need to go back against a clamping down on rules that seemed to be broadly supported by most fans.

9 minutes ago, cowl said:

I can only think (logically) it's because the league's 'powers that be' have decided that the ref's authority can be questioned again on the pitch.

Fine; if that's the way it's to be...

But under pressure from whom have the league wilted? The clubs? The players' union? Or, God forbid, SKY???

Just seems strange to me that the league feel the need to go back against a clamping down on rules that seemed to be broadly supported by most fans.

I thought some of the implementation was OTT as we saw at Brentford and they are right to tone it down. But when you see players giving the ref both barrels then that surely must be looked at. 

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I thought some of the implementation was OTT as we saw at Brentford and they are right to tone it down. But when you see players giving the ref both barrels then that surely must be looked at. 

I just find it so strange the way the directives the refs are seemingly given change.

If the league wants to clamp down on back-chat but then find after issuing directives the refs are being over zealous, then they should speak to the refs that need to tone it down (the ref that ridiculously sent Jones off being a perfect example). But it's almost as though the league have just given up and decided it's not worked, merely because it wasn't immediately and seamlessly incorporated into the current interpretation of the rules.

I'm looking forward to see how this new sin-bin scheme will pan out because it's directly aimed at dissent only. Of course, it's only lower non-league tiers that will get to trial this but I hope they give it a really good shot at getting it to work so that it can be introduced right across the leagues.

8 hours ago, cowl said:

I just find it so strange the way the directives the refs are seemingly given change.

If the league wants to clamp down on back-chat but then find after issuing directives the refs are being over zealous, then they should speak to the refs that need to tone it down (the ref that ridiculously sent Jones off being a perfect example). But it's almost as though the league have just given up and decided it's not worked, merely because it wasn't immediately and seamlessly incorporated into the current interpretation of the rules.

I'm looking forward to see how this new sin-bin scheme will pan out because it's directly aimed at dissent only. Of course, it's only lower non-league tiers that will get to trial this but I hope they give it a really good shot at getting it to work so that it can be introduced right across the leagues.

Yeah the sun bin could work. Some refs really deserve it though :duntmatter: