27 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Think all this talk of GH being too lightweight is mostly down to seeing his dad who was just brute power and strength. If not compared to David it would not be much of an issue. David says he is better than him. Maybe with the finishing only. GH needs to work on his hold up play and touch to be likened to Hirsty. He does not have a thunderboilt left foot either. GH is a more subtle version of his dad but I think its more his all round game that needs work on over the next year or two. Any player who may be a potential better finisher than Hirsty will be some player. And yes he may fill out a little further down the line than David did. He has his same burst over a short distance which is gold dust too. Thirty six goals across all his matches this season is some total. If the chairman needs to pay that bit more to keep him then I say do it Mr.Chansiri. He is an investment. Strikers keep clubs in the Premier League....

Nothing to do with his Dad.  The first time anyone sees him play you can guarantee the word lightweight will be said.  Not comparing to his Dad at all.  Comparing him to any other 18 year old striker trying to break through.He's 6 ft 3 but probably the weight of someone 5ft 9 at the moment.  Needs to find a good couple of stone.  In this day and age thought you can guarantee the club will be keeping tabs on this and his diet.

17 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

That's just not true. He IS too lightweight and he WILL get bullied by centre halves as it stands - nothing to do with comparisons with his Dad.

I never pointed out he was ready for the first team. My point is he needs more work on the technical side of his game. When that comes upto scratch he will be some player. He has proven his finishing is there. His build is a side issue for now. He has time on his side. So no issue at all. Vardy developed late. Paul Williams was no powerhouse. FF, Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall, Hooper etc.... Will any of this crop of strikers flourish in the Premier league? FF technically might. Goals overhall I am not sure about so we need to keep potential....

I wouldn't say its no issue at all.  I would say its quite a big issue and the club will be working at it with his pre season programme/diet I am sure.  My concern is that he looks the same now as he did when he joined full time two years ago in terms of build.

56 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Think all this talk of GH being too lightweight is mostly down to seeing his dad who was just brute power and strength. If not compared to David it would not be much of an issue. David says he is better than him. Maybe with the finishing only. GH needs to work on his hold up play and touch to be likened to Hirsty. He does not have a thunderboilt left foot either. GH is a more subtle version of his dad but I think its more his all round game that needs work on over the next year or two. Any player who may be a potential better finisher than Hirsty will be some player. And yes he may fill out a little further down the line than David did. He has his same burst over a short distance which is gold dust too. Thirty six goals across all his matches this season is some total. If the chairman needs to pay that bit more to keep him then I say do it Mr.Chansiri. He is an investment. Strikers keep clubs in the Premier League....

Not in the slightest.  It's more comparing him to the two defenders he never won a header against last night!

He is a skinny kid.  I remember Madine being told to go away and bulk up over the summer a few years ago.  Well Hirst is a million miles away from where Madine was before he hit the gym!

Just not bothered...

18 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

So you think Jack Stobbs and Cameron Dawson are ready then?

He's absolutely miles away.  He played in that game because we were down to the bones for options.

Have to admit I don't think I've seen either of those two play. Has Carlos given them any game time in the championship?

we have a very large squad of pros and Fletcher was also on the bench that game so would hardly say we were down to the bare bones. If Carlos thought he was miles away from Championship level I don't think he would have picked him on a nUmber of occasions in the match day 18 and brought him on against one of the best teams in the division. 

13 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Have to admit I don't think I've seen either of those two play. Has Carlos given them any game time in the championship?

we have a very large squad of pros and Fletcher was also on the bench that game so would hardly say we were down to the bare bones. If Carlos thought he was miles away from Championship level I don't think he would have picked him on a nUmber of occasions in the match day 18 and brought him on against one of the best teams in the division. 

Cameron Dawson is the keeper who played a couple of times thi season when Westwood and Wildsmith out and Jack Stobbs has come off the bench twice.  Three years ago and this this time last year.

2 hours ago, York_Owl said:

How many times has he been in the match day 18?  I'd guess less than 5.  By your logic we have players who are further up the food chain in the U23s.  Yet you've no idea who they even are.

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself with George.

Just not bothered...

10 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

How many times has he been in the match day 18?  I'd guess less than 5.  By your logic we have players who are further up the food chain in the U23s.  Yet you've no idea who they even are.

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself with George.

I didn't go to the Fulham game so I've not seen Dawson play so can't really comment. I wouldn't say I have no idea who they are but freely admit I've not seen them play.

also I'm not saying Hirst should be playing 30-40 games a season in the championship. I'm talking about the odd twenty minutes here and there off the bench like v Reading where he didn't look out of place at all in fact he looked pretty lively. On that basis I don't agree with people saying he's absolutely no where near championship level. I think you're under rating the player.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. A lot of good balanced cases for and against keeping George.

Personally, I don't hold with the argument that he is too lightweight ( Michael Owen anyone ???).Ok, George isn't in the same class but you see what I mean.

Young, English striking talent is thin on the ground. If the club genuinely believe George is our future striker, then pay him. If not, cash in, ensuring a whole host of sell on clauses, because I think this lad is going to be a star.

I just wanted to add that 90% of players making their debuts are too lightweight. Best talents debut for their teams long before they turn 20, and at that age very few are physical enough for demands of first team football.

Physical strength is just one of qualities good footballer should have, certainly not the most important one.

Just look at likes of Luka Modrić...

55 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I didn't go to the Fulham game so I've not seen Dawson play so can't really comment. I wouldn't say I have no idea who they are but freely admit I've not seen them play.

also I'm not saying Hirst should be playing 30-40 games a season in the championship. I'm talking about the odd twenty minutes here and there off the bench like v Reading where he didn't look out of place at all in fact he looked pretty lively. On that basis I don't agree with people saying he's absolutely no where near championship level. I think you're under rating the player.

Me, Carlos and the coaching team.

Yeah, you're probably right...

You'd really bring him on in front of someone like Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu, Forestieri, Fletcher or Hooper?  Really?  If so you're making an emotional decision rather than an educated one.

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Me, Carlos and the coaching team.

Yeah, you're probably right...

You'd really bring him on in front of someone like Winnall, Rhodes, Nuhiu, Forestieri, Fletcher or Hooper?  Really?  If so you're making an emotional decision rather than an educated one.

You're totally misunderstanding what I'm saying. If you look at my previous posts I said he's falllen further down the pecking order since we signed Rhodes and Winnal in Jan. He's behind all those players at the moment so will just have to bide his time but if for whatever reason he was given an opportunity to come on for 20 mins or so I think he'd be ready for it at championship level (as does Carlos as he's already done so).

On 2017-5-12 at 12:33, simpark said:

You'd really want to entrust his development to Steve Evans?

They'll be challenging next season, it would be a good welcome to big boys football for him. he'd certainly appriciate Carlos when he came back.