17 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Real double edged sword, him being the son of DEH. 

On the the one hand this is his club and that might make it harder for him to leave. On the other hand, in reality, his Dad is probably saying 'Don't make the same mistake I did'.

The mistake Hirst made was not moving to Man U when he was banging goals in for fun in his mid-20s. He chose the right club in Wednesday age 18 when he wouldn't have gotten a look in at team challenging for the title. This is even more the case now when the top half of the Prem collect 50-70 players for fun and then immediately farm them out on loan. e.g. Abraham will never play for Chelsea. Even Lukaku couldn't break in to their team as a youngster scoring 15+ goals in the Prem.

Also no-one at the club was firm enough to get Hirst Sr. to cut down the booze and fags. But perhaps Fergie would have failed there - he had no success with Whiteside, Robson, Sharpe etc. in that regard. Plus Hirst still had a great career at the top level, he liked a smoke and a drink - I dare say most of us on here wouldn't have had the discipline to live like a saint either. He scored 150 goals and in his prime he put in 2-3 incredible seasons. Getting regularly sliced in half by 90s CB's didn't help too.

17 minutes ago, coe_22 said:

Jamie Vardy is a very skinny bloke. Messi is not exactly massive either. 

Didn't our youth team coach send Vardy packing because he was too little and skinny?  Ooooooops! 

55 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Fair enough but you don't often see young 18 year old strikers in first teams who are slight in build like young Hirst

Honestly I too think that he is not good enough for first team football with us yet, especially considering quality of talent we have playing "his" position.

Them again, I believe he is far to good for development football as well.

30 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Didn't our youth team coach send Vardy packing because he was too little and skinny?  Ooooooops! 

Yes he did! Also the same with Danny Care (England scrum half) was told he was too small to be a footballer lol

46 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

The mistake Hirst made was not moving to Man U when he was banging goals in for fun in his mid-20s. He chose the right club in Wednesday age 18 when he wouldn't have gotten a look in at team challenging for the title. This is even more the case now when the top half of the Prem collect 50-70 players for fun and then immediately farm them out on loan. e.g. Abraham will never play for Chelsea. Even Lukaku couldn't break in to their team as a youngster scoring 15+ goals in the Prem.

Also no-one at the club was firm enough to get Hirst Sr. to cut down the booze and fags. But perhaps Fergie would have failed there - he had no success with Whiteside, Robson, Sharpe etc. in that regard. Plus Hirst still had a great career at the top level, he liked a smoke and a drink - I dare say most of us on here wouldn't have had the discipline to live like a saint either. He scored 150 goals and in his prime he put in 2-3 incredible seasons. Getting regularly sliced in half by 90s CB's didn't help too.

The Man Utd move that never was is what I mean- but things are different now financially, and the opportunity to make a financial difference to your life comes earlier now.

5 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

The Man Utd move that never was is what I mean- but things are different now financially, and the opportunity to make a financial difference to your life comes earlier now.

It might be one of those unfounded rumours that start from time to time.

But I'm sure someone on 5 live said the other week that their were teenage millionaires at some Premier League clubs....who have yet to kick a ball in league football in their lives to date.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

It might be one of those unfounded rumours that start from time to time.

But I'm sure someone on 5 live said the other week that their were teenage millionaires at some Premier League clubs....who have yet to kick a ball in league football in their lives to date.

To pay George Hirst £5k a week and give him a 4 year contract would be a drop in the ocean for the likes of Manchester City- that's a contract over £1m right there, so it's quite likely.

Sessegnon could well move this summer for big money to a top club on a wage of maybe £20k+ A week, plus a large signing on fee. Could be a multimillionaire before he's 20.

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

32 minutes ago, coe_22 said:

Yes he did! Also the same with Danny Care (England scrum half) was told he was too small to be a footballer lol

That was when they were 14 and 15.  Can't compare with Hirst.  He is now 18 and has had two full time seasons with the club since he left school two years ago.

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

Brilliant points made.  Can't argue with them

42 minutes ago, coe_22 said:

Height is not an issue with George(6ft 3).  It's his build.  Too small in terms of height to be a footballer is a load of rubbish but kids have been rejected all the the time for this. Maradona/Messi/Scholes etc etc are outstanding exceptions.

Edited by Etchesketch

35 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

To pay George Hirst £5k a week and give him a 4 year contract would be a drop in the ocean for the likes of Manchester City- that's a contract over £1m right there, so it's quite likely.

Sessegnon could well move this summer for big money to a top club on a wage of maybe £20k+ A week, plus a large signing on fee. Could be a multimillionaire before he's 20.

Try 50k a week

Agree, he needs loaning out cause my grandad said yesterday about him being a bit lightweight but you can see why he stands out and is very clever, 

he could be a very important player for us in 3 years but he won't be if he is spending too much longer in the development, look at beckham and Kane they all got loaned out young and look where they were a 21 years old 

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

What? 

20 minutes against Reading doesn't mean he's good enough to play championship football. 

ridicilous. 

Carlos clearly thought he was. I'm not saying he should be starting every week in the championship but based on his performance v Reading he could play the odd 20 mins here and there and not look out of place.

Obviously he's dropped down the pecking order since we signed Rhodes and Winnal in Jan. The Fulham game would have been an ideal opportunity to give him another 20 mins or so were it not for the u23 play off final the day after.

Remember when Hayden White refused his pro contract and upped off to go to Bolton for the better money.

Uproar at the time. .. Our best prospect for years etc etc

Was last on loan to Mansfield from Peterbrough and "very much open ro a permanent move".

Think all this talk of GH being too lightweight is mostly down to seeing his dad who was just brute power and strength. If not compared to David it would not be much of an issue. David says he is better than him. Maybe with the finishing only. GH needs to work on his hold up play and touch to be likened to Hirsty. He does not have a thunderboilt left foot either. GH is a more subtle version of his dad but I think its more his all round game that needs work on over the next year or two. Any player who may be a potential better finisher than Hirsty will be some player. And yes he may fill out a little further down the line than David did. He has his same burst over a short distance which is gold dust too. Thirty six goals across all his matches this season is some total. If the chairman needs to pay that bit more to keep him then I say do it Mr.Chansiri. He is an investment. Strikers keep clubs in the Premier League....

3 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Think all this talk of GH being too lightweight is mostly down to seeing his dad who was just brute power and strength. If not compared to David it would not be much of an issue.

That's just not true. He IS too lightweight and he WILL get bullied by centre halves as it stands - nothing to do with comparisons with his Dad.