11 hours ago, malek said:

Sorry mate, missed the key, and negged you. Can someone please plus him for me...

Connor Kirby, or as I call him - iron lungs. Really good player.

You should be able to change the neg to a plus. If you pressed the neg key before then the plus key should be the only one that is available. If you then press the plus key then both options should be available and you can then plus him. Hope that makes sense.

16 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

In some respects if we get promoted he might have mire chance of bring successful in the prem than being loaned out to l1 or l2. Although the prem is obviously much higher quality it is nowhere near as physical as those 2 leagues. I do hope he doesn't leave due to a small difference in wages.

Is this the same logic as the Blunts use when saying they have a Championship team?

Has a load of potential but he's not at the level required to be playing first team football at Championship standard, let alone Premier League. 

Watched the game last night and he had the two Hull center backs on toast when he was one on one with them, but there's a huge gap between U23s and the senior side. 

Sadly, if you believe everything you hear, his Dad may well have ensured that Jnr is off before too long. 

There is a gulf between the boys game and the mans game.

Even in  the youth game against Chelsea where most of their 17 year olds had the build of 40 year old super middleweights our boys looked like school kids.

I'm not saying that height/weight should be a big point , before anyone goes down that road. 

But there are developments that need to happen to even the most skillful players before they are ready for the mens league

As for Hirst himself. At one time this wouldn't have been too much of an issue. But the huge disparity in money between Premier club and the rest means that it's no problem for them to offer a child who is a while away from first team football and might be staying in the youth team for another 3 years the same  sort of money that a top end Championship player earns by playing every week. 

We are in a fortunate position that we have a Chairman with a bit of brass.

Most clubs, it's fair to say would lose that player 9 out of 10 times to the Premier wolves on the scent of blood.

On the other hand.....I don't see DC as the type to take it well if he thinks he's being held to ransom....

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I'm always amazed that people think we can choose who to send players in loan to....like Evans gets a call telling him that he's just taken Hirst on loan......if only it were that simple

from what I saw last night you couldn't make a case for anyone getting a first team game, so poor were the opposition who even had a dwarf in goal......not seen as much of the u23's this season as before but based in last night the standard is way way off the championship and at least 5 of last nights starting XI won't ever play a first team game for us

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Thats the spirit 

WTF:

Its true though. I think 7 or 8 will never play for the first team.  Its the harsh realities of pro football not belittling a great achievement. I would say Penney, Kirby and Preston would stand the best chance of making a first team appearance.  This is bearing in mind Hirst and Dawson have played for the first team. Promotion to the Premier would make it even harder to break through.  Some who played last night will probably be released as their contracts are up and they have not established themselves even at U23 level Percival, Hayford.  Betra is at a crossroads and may be struggling after being out two years and Jack Stobbs is no nearer the first team now than he was three years ago.  His contract is up as well.

Edited by Etchesketch

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

And Matt Penney innit? Other than that I enjoyed your posts and will be plussing them and any others I see by you. I feel we are kinder eggs when it comes to getting stuff slightly wrong. 

lol

52 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Well he's already played 20 mins or so of championship football against Reading and he looked pretty good. I don't really get why people think he's no where near ready when he has already played.

So you think Jack Stobbs and Cameron Dawson are ready then?

He's absolutely miles away.  He played in that game because we were down to the bones for options.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Well he's already played 20 mins or so of championship football against Reading and he looked pretty good. I don't really get why people think he's no where near ready when he has already played.

What? 

20 minutes against Reading doesn't mean he's good enough to play championship football. 

ridicilous. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

What? 

20 minutes against Reading doesn't mean he's good enough to play championship football. 

ridicilous. 

He needs to put on 2 stone in weight by the looks of it but two years ago when he was first starting to make waves he was the same height and build roughly.  You saw the likes of Heskey and Rooney at 18 in the premier League and they were already the build of a man hence not looking out of place.

6 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

He needs to put on 2 stone in weight by the looks of it but two years ago when he was first starting to make waves he was the same height and build roughly.  You saw the likes of Heskey and Rooney at 18 in the premier League and they were already the build of a man hence not looking out of place.

Absolutely. 

For he level he's playing at he's a stand out. He's got to be at least 6 foot and has more power than a lot of those he's playing with/against. 

At senior level he'd get bullied all over the shop. Bulk up a bit in the next few years and he could be something quite special. 

Not sure why people are so desperate to pull the trigger with this lad. He's only 18 for goodness sake - give him time to grow and develop. 

12 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Rooney and Heskey were exception to how many young players are built in their debut seasons.

As always when talking about potential it's about guesswork and risk. 

The game is littered with players who were given free transfers as kids. 

Look at David Platt, released by Man United and later working hus way back up before becoming a top International and moving to Italy for what at the time was a monumental  £5m fee. 

In hindsight they should have kept him. 

On the other hand look at someone like Michael Johnson once of Manchester City.  Apparently the next big thing. Apparently City at the time turned down some big money offers for the potentially top drawer player. They turned it down, and the kid eventually vanished to obscurity.

In hindsight the should have taken the money.

There simply is no way of knowing. Some players never live up to early promise. Some develop late. 

What I would say is that for the relatively small numbers being quoted here in terms of wages then it should be a no brainer. 

Especially if we do go up. When the money will then be a drop in the ocean.

35 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Counter argument is Peter Crouch never grew into his body and he has had a brilliant career.  Love to have know what Spurs fans thought of him when he was 18 and struggling to breakthrough.

Jamie Vardy is a very skinny bloke. Messi is not exactly massive either. 

Look at the likes of Rooney and Owen. They were first team regulars at 17. They both burnt out before they turned 30. Their bodies weren't ready for 30+ first team games a season before they turned 21, no teenager is.

Give George another year or two to mature and develop and then he'll be ready. I just hope he's prepared to wait that long.