2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He's got better as the season progressed. I don't think he was that prolific for u23s at first but now he's well in there.

I think the only thing he needs is to bulk out a bit 

@ANDY just need your good self to get a regular delivery to young Hirsty and he'll soon fill out

6 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Evening ladies and gents.

As I write, the U23 are 2-0 up, with young Hirst scoring both. 36 goals for the lad this term, a fantastic achievement, whatever people may make of the calibre of opponents.

Should promotion be achieved this time around, what are your thoughts about George next year ?

Personally, like the old adage states " If you are good enough, you are old enough'. I would be tempted to include him in the 1st team squad, with opportunities for him to take part as a sub. Should CC deem this too early for him, them a full season loan would probably be the next best thing.

I think he is an exceptional talent, but we can only wrap him in cotton wool for a little while, he needs regular game time against better players, to see where he really is at.

I'm sure it has been reported on here already about David Hirst leaving his post at hills.

i spoke to David in a box at oakwell during the 1-1 draw, he said he quit as he wasn't happy with Wednesday's treatment of George and that he wanted To move him on

dunno the situation with his contract etc, I didn't press for details but that was straight from the horses mouth

hoprdylky it'll all get sorted and if he's good enough he'll be banging them in for Wednesday over many years 

7 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Purely out of interest, why would you be against such a move? To me, sending Hirst out on loan to a club like Mansfield would be no different in principle to Chelsea sending out Tammy Abrahams to Bristol City or numerous other examples that could be quoted. He would at some point need to get league experience and it seems to me that would be as good as any other loan move. Or am I missing something?

i dont think sending him out to a club managed  steve evans is a good career move for the lad .....

Just now, torryowl said:

i dont think sending him out to a club managed  steve evans is a good career move for the lad .....

Oh, so it's about the manager rather than the prospect of going to Mansfield (or other lower league club) then. Fair enough.

46 minutes ago, torryowl said:

As Mansfield supporter I'd hazard my knowledge being better than most regarding the club. Whilst I am obviously a fatty disliker, the club are really going for it next year and have made two quality signings already. 

People saying the likes of Barnsley are way off as he's not at that level. The biggest thing he lacks is strength and I think a year in that league at a progressive club like Mansfield will do him the world of good. 

For the record best  I've seen him play las night.

17 minutes ago, james o connor said:

As Mansfield supporter I'd hazard my knowledge being better than most regarding the club. Whilst I am obviously a fatty disliker, the club are really going for it next year and have made two quality signings already. 

People saying the likes of Barnsley are way off as he's not at that level. The biggest thing he lacks is strength and I think a year in that league at a progressive club like Mansfield will do him the world of good. 

For the record best  I've seen him play las night.

if you ever get your hands on a book written by a journeyman pro called ben smith who played for evans at crawley I think you'd alter your view on sending him to Mansfield ......

9 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

£52K a year at 18.

Is he worth it to the club, yes.

Is it stupid money in football, yes.

Get it paid DC.

If charming ched is worth 10k a week then 1k for a gamble on George is loose change. 

I too have heard he's gonna be on his way because we won't pay him what he and his dad want us to. It seemed a small amount to me, think I heard it was more than the figures quoted in this thread though. But in football wages terms 'a small amount'. 

Personally I'd love to keep him but fully understand DC et al don't have the emotional attachment to his name that many of us have. 

As for the match last night. Penney looked good, some nice runs later in the game as others were tiring and looked happy on the ball. Stobbs looked like he had it in him to progress too and obviously George looked good. However, I saw Jamie Vardy play 4 games for Stocksbridge and wasn't impressed at all so I really wouldn't put any faith in owt I say. We won so I thought they were all good. If we'd lost I'd be questioning our whole youth set up. Yes I am that shallow. lol

11 hours ago, BIG D said:

Been down tonight and he looks a long way off the first team. I think League football anywhere might be a push just yet tbh. Needs to bulk up quite a bit but certainly has all the attributes. 

Totally agree with this. He was frequently outmuscled for high balls. He does have a good turn of pace, however. He took the second goal well after outpacing the central defender. He also used the ball well when in possession. Overall a very exciting prospect.

Two players that also impressed me in what was a very good team performance, were Luke Williams at CB and Will Penney at LB. Penney made a number of forward runs with the ball that made him a big danger to the Hull defence. Williams was commanding at CB and used the ball well.

12 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

First priority is to tie him down to a long contract . He is our future. 

No doubt the vultures are already hovering ,so lets get him on a five year deal. 

This ^^^^ that's what the thread should be about. 

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Apologies, in my post above it should have read Liam Williams and not Luke Williams.

And Matt Penney innit? Other than that I enjoyed your posts and will be plussing them and any others I see by you. I feel we are kinder eggs when it comes to getting stuff slightly wrong. 

DC has watched both games at S6 this week involving the under 23's. If George scoring a brace in each game doesn't convince him to pay what the lad and his father want then I suspect he's on his way which would be really disappointing as we've waited a long time for a genuine goal scoring prospect to come through our own ranks?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

I'm always amazed that people think we can choose who to send players in loan to....like Evans gets a call telling him that he's just taken Hirst on loan......if only it were that simple

from what I saw last night you couldn't make a case for anyone getting a first team game, so poor were the opposition who even had a dwarf in goal......not seen as much of the u23's this season as before but based in last night the standard is way way off the championship and at least 5 of last nights starting XI won't ever play a first team game for us

16 minutes ago, Ian said:

I'm always amazed that people think we can choose who to send players in loan to....like Evans gets a call telling him that he's just taken Hirst on loan......if only it were that simple

from what I saw last night you couldn't make a case for anyone getting a first team game, so poor were the opposition who even had a dwarf in goal......not seen as much of the u23's this season as before but based in last night the standard is way way off the championship and at least 5 of last nights starting XI won't ever play a first team game for us

Thats the spirit 

WTF:

In some respects if we get promoted he might have mire chance of bring successful in the prem than being loaned out to l1 or l2. Although the prem is obviously much higher quality it is nowhere near as physical as those 2 leagues. I do hope he doesn't leave due to a small difference in wages.

Went to the game last night and a few things struck me:

1) George Hirst is a mile away from first team football.  I don't think he's even ready for league 2.  He's still built like a kid and never got near a header all night.  Ball to feet and in behind and he looked a real goal threat and could easily have had 3-4 goals (and should have had his hat trick if Betra wasn't so greedy).

2) Not many of that team are going to have long careers as professionals.  A couple of them looked decent enough but most of them look really green.  They need to get some work done in the gym.

3) The football was decent and it was nice to see them trying to play the same style of football as the first team (as it should be).

4) I was impressed with Connor Kirby.  He was everywhere.  He was like Kieren Lee is for the first team.

Just not bothered...