Jump to content

I really hope we go up for one reason


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

My nephew supports Liverpool. When I asked him why he doesn't support either of the Sheffield teams he replied "I'm not supporting either of them. They're rubbish".

rolf-harris.png

 

He gets it every day at school little fooookers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2017 at 00:52, Spencerowl said:

My lad. 

 

Does anyone else get this with kids?

 

Im honestly sick of him coming home from school having the absolute bobber ripped out of him for supporting WEDNESDAY. 

 

Take a wild guess who these little sheep support? Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City etc etc etc. None of which they have ever been to see. 

 

I buy him the stuff (bag, pencil case etc) and all he gets is "they are crap" "support someone good" he's only 7 and fair play to him he still wants to come to every game we go too. We live a fair way away now so none of his mates are owls BUT WE STILL GO to games.

 

If We go up, I hope it will show these these stupid kids what I already know "WE ARE ON OUR WAY" and are a great side and have a wonderful future. 

 

Stick with us my boy 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

 

I look at those pictures and I'm struck by competing emotions.

 

Half of me is thinking beautiful, beautiful things and the other half is thinking that poor, poor child.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoes on the other foot for me I rip anyone that supports your Man U and Chelsea's when there from Mansfield or so on "plastics" and they all shut up or pretend that they go to games and their grandad was from Manchester...fade fade fade ect etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Growing up down south I was always the only Wednesday supporter at school, I couldn't believe my first home game to see so many Wednesday fans - it felt like home and has ever since  - Now live in Scotland and again the only Wednesday fan around, but flying the flag for the OWLS WAWAW!! OvO

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2017 at 00:15, Spencerowl said:

 

Yeah they can be even worse TBF. Mate of mine a coventry fan... through and through and ST holder.....apparently, then asked me if I fancied going with him to highfield road, I said yeah defiantly, but what for as they moved like 15 years ago or something :duntmatter: 

Despise the man utd and especially Liverpool glory hunters I had to grow up with when I moved to Wakefield as a kid. Though the bin dipper has fallen out with me over a drunken Hillsborough when he brought it up about them being blame free and I whent on  a rant about the scratty unwashed scroungers, no wonder they play in the same colours as the blunts hehe. love how all the deluded fekks still think it's 1980s and they're the best team in the world. Lololo 

Edited by shezzas left peg
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grew up and still live in Birmingham, surrounded by Villa Blues fans and the usual nonsense Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal. Left school in 06 so much of my secondary school life was lost to the wilderness of Shreeves, Yorath, Turner. 

But when I arrived back at school the Monday after that fateful day in Cardiff in 2005 most had watched the league 1 play off final and those with any degree of common sense (rare in Birmingham i know) understood why I supported who Wednesday. Personally I wouldn't have had it any other way tell him to have a bit of a laugh with it if he can, my PE teacher and footy coaches used to fall about laughing when I provided running commentary or described any goal scored or shot taken with a shout of QUUUUUUIIIIINNNNN/MCGOVVVVVVERN/BRUUUUUUUUUUNT/WHEEEEELLLLLLLAAANNNNNN. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best to be realistic about this.  At some point in the next decade we'll get promoted.  Probably in the next five years.  Maybe even this season (say one in three chance of the playoffs; and in the nature of the case if we do make the playoffs we'll be there with a bit of wind in our sails).

 

We still won't get the profile.  People will have heard of us.  Eventually, in the way that they've heard of Stoke or Southampton.  But the kids sitting in front of the TV are still going to "support" (whatever that means) the big clubs; the execs watching in the sports bars of Phoenix and Shanghai the same. 

 

Suspect we will see more kids in this country saying they support two clubs.  A big club ie one of the six consistently competing for the champions league; and another maybe local one.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2017 at 23:52, Spencerowl said:

My lad. 

 

Does anyone else get this with kids?

 

Im honestly sick of him coming home from school having the absolute bobber ripped out of him for supporting WEDNESDAY. 

 

Take a wild guess who these little sheep support? Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City etc etc etc. None of which they have ever been to see. 

 

I buy him the stuff (bag, pencil case etc) and all he gets is "they are crap" "support someone good" he's only 7 and fair play to him he still wants to come to every game we go too. We live a fair way away now so none of his mates are owls BUT WE STILL GO to games.

 

If We go up, I hope it will show these these stupid kids what I already know "WE ARE ON OUR WAY" and are a great side and have a wonderful future. 

 

Stick with us my boy 

 

As others have said, totally hear what you are saying and where you are coming from and I now live in S Wales, so deff no SWFC 7 yr olds around for my 7yr old boy to know and not feel so outcast at our choice haha.

 

I was born in Sheffield but moved to where my old man could get work, so Lancashire / Manc borders, then latterly approaching teens to Cheshire / South Manchester, so all the usual suspects Man City, Utd, Lpool, Everton etc and yet we would always go back to see family in Sheff often. I was never allowed to attend the Owls games with the family's "Men", so ended up traipsing around Town with the family's "Women" much to my pain and torment... then back to the great grandfathers where we'd all gather for the pools check and chit chat etc (Or odd clip around the ear)

Back to living away, no other Owls fans were around in my schools, so I too would have the mickey taken for sure but grew to accept it and still stuck my nose in the air, holding my head high at supporting SWFC.

 

Now my 7 yr old, like yours has no like for like buddy's at Schools or around our area who are fellow Owls but I have always taught him; "Supporting the team who gets the Biggest Stadium Attendance, the Most Wins, or the Most Championships doesn't make that team any better than who we were both born to support." he always seems to be accepting of that. Although, i will take stock of this again as he reaches Secondary school age and hope that he's still accepting of the above thinking.

 

Tell your boy, "Sheffield Wednesday FC has amazing pedigree or it wouldn't be one of the oldest clubs in the world and celebrating 150yrs birthday this year" sure that will get him silently thinking, then agreeing to this point and he will take any form of ribbing for been an Owl at School or around mates. :)

 

Good luck and chin up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robster_owl said:

 

As others have said, totally hear what you are saying and where you are coming from and I now live in S Wales, so deff no SWFC 7 yr olds around for my 7yr old boy to know and not feel so outcast at our choice haha.

 

I was born in Sheffield but moved to where my old man could get work, so Lancashire / Manc borders, then latterly approaching teens to Cheshire / South Manchester, so all the usual suspects Man City, Utd, Lpool, Everton etc and yet we would always go back to see family in Sheff often. I was never allowed to attend the Owls games with the family's "Men", so ended up traipsing around Town with the family's "Women" much to my pain and torment... then back to the great grandfathers where we'd all gather for the pools check and chit chat etc (Or odd clip around the ear)

Back to living away, no other Owls fans were around in my schools, so I too would have the mickey taken for sure but grew to accept it and still stuck my nose in the air, holding my head high at supporting SWFC.

 

Now my 7 yr old, like yours has no like for like buddy's at Schools or around our area who are fellow Owls but I have always taught him; "Supporting the team who gets the Biggest Stadium Attendance, the Most Wins, or the Most Championships doesn't make that team any better than who we were both born to support." he always seems to be accepting of that. Although, i will take stock of this again as he reaches Secondary school age and hope that he's still accepting of the above thinking.

 

Tell your boy, "Sheffield Wednesday FC has amazing pedigree or it wouldn't be one of the oldest clubs in the world and celebrating 150yrs birthday this year" sure that will get him silently thinking, then agreeing to this point and he will take any form of ribbing for been an Owl at School or around mates. :)

 

Good luck and chin up.

 

Great post. He's told all the time what a great club we are, and not be a sheep. 

 

It worrys me me long term for football more generally but I think it's been this way for years and smaller clubs seem to survive. Sky IMHO has an awful lot to answer for for creating this bubble. If it bursts however it will be all fans who lose so we are stuck with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 17:52, Spencerowl said:

My lad. 

 

Does anyone else get this with kids?

 

Im honestly sick of him coming home from school having the absolute bobber ripped out of him for supporting WEDNESDAY. 

 

Take a wild guess who these little sheep support? Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City etc etc etc. None of which they have ever been to see. 

 

I buy him the stuff (bag, pencil case etc) and all he gets is "they are crap" "support someone good" he's only 7 and fair play to him he still wants to come to every game we go too. We live a fair way away now so none of his mates are owls BUT WE STILL GO to games.

 

If We go up, I hope it will show these these stupid kids what I already know "WE ARE ON OUR WAY" and are a great side and have a wonderful future. 

 

Stick with us my boy 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

 

do you not live in sheffield?

 

i've always assumed that if you live there you either support the pigs or us. no? 

 

pretty easy to be lured away by the big clubs i guess. it's the same here with all of our sports. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, baz9209 said:

Shoes on the other foot for me I rip anyone that supports your Man U and Chelsea's when there from Mansfield or so on "plastics" and they all shut up or pretend that they go to games and their grandad was from Manchester...fade fade fade ect etc 

Thats the usual response, my grandad and my dad were man u fans and they took me when I was a kid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we're one of the worst for calling other clubs TINPOT, though it's not happened so much lately.

 

Imagine trying to support Barnet in North London, Leyton Orient in East London, Walsall (between Villa and WBA), Hartlepool or Bris Rovers etc.  They must have some loyal fans with thick skins. 

I admire fans of the lesser clubs.  Hate it when we call them tinpot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...