Jaap Stam - Reading

7 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

I have fancied a Reading v SWFC final for a while now, I have long admired their manager, seven years learning the job and one year doing it, and a play offs spot at his first attempt. If I were a Fulham supporter I would be a bit edgy about this draw. If we do end up with them in the final Carlos will no doubt treat this up and coming manager with great respect, and then beat him with experience.

You'd hope so - my worry with CC is his stubbornness and should we make Wembley I just hope he has learnt from last years non-event this time around.

Stam is clearly no fool and they beat us both times with relative ease. He seems to have worked us out ... they kept us at arms length 

Should the two sides meet it will be a very tough game to win

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

I'm not sure why I'm posting in here as we might not be playing them yet.

But there's something about them ...that makes them the team I least want to face. It's not just the fact they have already beaten us. I thought we had every chance to win both of those games ourselves. 

But there's something about them. Stam puts me about. Those sharp eyes. The cold stare of a serial killer. 

Stam and his team make me feel uneasy. 

Though Reading does as a whole. 

In my head they're a 3rd and 4th division club. They're an anomaly , a glitch in the system. This isn't a 'Reading tho' sensation. I feel like I'm trapped a programme where the details aren't quite right. 

Oh, and that Kermorgant. ... a middle aged journeyman, never done anything of note. But I see him....and I find I'm holding my breath. I get a sinking sensation when the balls near him in the box, same as I used to with Ian Rush even though Rush was a class apart. It's that same feeling. 

There. That's got that out of my system.

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'm not sure why I'm posting in here as we might not be playing them yet.

But there's something about them ...that makes them the team I least want to face. It's not just the fact they have already beaten us. I thought we had every chance to win both of those games ourselves. 

But there's something about them. Stam puts me about. Those sharp eyes. The cold stare of a serial killer. 

Stam and his team make me feel uneasy. 

Though Reading does as a whole. 

In my head they're a 3rd and 4th division club. They're an anomaly , a glitch in the system. This isn't a 'Reading tho' sensation. I feel like I'm trapped a programme where the details aren't quite right. 

Oh, and that Kermorgant. ... a middle aged journeyman, never done anything of note. But I see him....and I find I'm holding my breath. I get a sinking sensation when the balls near him in the box, same as I used to with Ian Rush even though Rush was a class apart. It's that same feeling. 

There. That's got that out of my system.

So, so true.

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

He's doing a great job with them to be fair but we will beat them in the final :-)

To be honest , he had the best teacher to learn from in Fergie. 

Reading back in the Premier League would be extremely sh*t for the Premier League. Such an uninspiring, boring, pointless football club, much like Fulham and Huddersfield come to think of it

29 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Reading will be the hardest team to play - we didn't lay a glove on Hull and struggled to lay one on Reading in both matches.

They are the team I hope we avoid should we make the final.

So you didn't go to the home game, any other day we would have half a dozen.  Two pages on worrying about everybody else, let them worry about us.     UTO 

57 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Reading back in the Premier League would be extremely sh*t for the Premier League. Such an uninspiring, boring, pointless football club, much like Fulham and Huddersfield come to think of it

Bit harsh on Huddersfield - at least they have won stuff, although it was back when the model T ford was on the road.

Fulham were runners up in the FA cup and has Best for a season but that's about it..as for Reading, not sure if they have won anything major tbh... a few trinkets - the Full Members cup I think.

9 hours ago, kevtheowl said:

So you didn't go to the home game, any other day we would have half a dozen.  Two pages on worrying about everybody else, let them worry about us.     UTO 

Yeah but we didn't which was partly down to how Reading played.

Dont think anyone is worried, just pointing out the strengths of the opposition, something we will need to be aware of when/if we play them.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

Don't think there's much between the 4 sides. Which team turns up or has a bit of luck will decide it. I think we have enough to pass Udders, particularly over two legs. Reading did a job on us at Hillsborough, and Fulham look pretty, (a bit like us last season) but looked panicky at the back when we started to press them high up the pitch even though we were down to 10 men. but I don't think either of them would relish playing us in a one off. The difference from last year is our strength in depth, providing they're all fit. We have players on the bench who can change a game this time.  For me, Fulham look vulnerable .

10 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Reading will be the hardest team to play - we didn't lay a glove on Hull and struggled to lay one on Reading in both matches.

They are the team I hope we avoid should we make the final.

We battered them at their place. We had most of the possession and they barely entered our half in the second 45. Their 3 at the back left loads of space and we dominated midfield. Yet we still lost. I think they're very beatable but we really need to take our chances - they've been clinical against us this season.