Palmer

I thought Liam Palmer was outstanding today. Did well with a lot of defensive work but still looking to get forward whenever possible. Wish he'd work that hard all the time.

1 minute ago, Jowl said:

I thought Liam Palmer was outstanding today. Did well with a lot of defensive work but still looking to get forward whenever possible. Wish he'd work that hard all the time.

Looked like one of the only players wanting to play for a place, I don't think you could knock hunt out though but still a good game and even better to see competition all over the pitch

Well it might be the bobbar view I had from the lower West...but he definitely wasn't outstanding. He was helped out big time by Buckley when he came on. He was also blowing out of his ass after about 60 mins. I thought both full backs today were average at best. Palmer didn't do bad going forward a couple of times.

He was excellent today. A real outlet down that right. Top performance.

Wish people would cut him some slack at times, he always gives 100 per cent and does a decent job every time he plays. Also he's Wednesday through and through like the rest of us, we should be proud of him for breaking into the first team and proving he's up to the task.

Well done Liam Palmer, all in all had a good season.

13 minutes ago, jordyowl said:

We could play f*cking cone at right back and it would be harder for wingers to get round it that it is for them to get round palmer!

the rose tinted specs that people have just because he is an owl is ridiculous 

On the contrary, I think he gets a hard time off our fans in general. I think people underestimate the work rate required of the full backs by the system Carlos employs.

Thought he was good today and looked uncharacteristically confident going forward. 

While I don't think he's Cafu or owt, I do think he's an extremely solid championship right back who put In a solid performance today 

Did ok today. A steady performance. 

Far too easily caught ball watching when they played the give and goes for my liking. But being able to defend seems to be a secondary requirement of a full back in some people's eyes, these days. 

Hunt straight back in for me.

Palmer is a fantastic player to have at the club and a great fall back RB at this level.

A mark of the man was his response when loaned out to Tranmere, where he was ever present and won a lot of plaudits, playing centre mid, winning their player of the season(?) and they were very keen to make it permanent. He then came back and won our player of the season, challenging Buxton for RB and also playing regularly in CM. Contrast that with players of a similar age and development who followed shortly after and how they reacted to loans (McCabe).

Hunt has some advantages over Palmer - he is perhaps the best natural athlete at the club and so his ability to get up and back quickly is key to the way Carlos demands our full backs play. His crossing is also getter better and better.

Hunt, in recent months, as also had the advantage of Wallace...who despite what some would try and have you believe works hard to cover back when needed. Yesterday Palmer had no help whilst MM was even on the pitch, until Buckley came on.

16 hours ago, Jowl said:

yep I was pleasantly surprised by his performance.

4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

No one has mentioned the unnecessary free kick he gave away that they scored the second goal from.

i do have to say that he appeared to be one of the few players prepared to put proper effort in yesterday.

In his defence from where I was sat which was very close, it looked like he got some of the ball first.