12 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Don't buy most of this to be honest.

So at least 2 stands need to be replaced.  Stands get replaced at football grounds around the country all the time, there is a cost implication but compared to other outgoings not particular punitive.

I have been to numerous new grounds where the concourses aren't particular much better. The standard seems to be painted breeze block and still fairly cramped.

The buildings around the ground issue. I'm pretty sure housing values around Hillsborough are probably at the very bottom end of housing values, so again, yeah a cost implication, but not particular punitive in the scheme of things. As for the school thing, rules and planning permissions are rescinded and changed all the time. Green Belt areas are suddenly allowed to be built on, decisions on graded buildings are taken. Red tape nightmares yes, but not insurmountable.

There are people who make things happen and there are people who find reasons why things can't be done. I would assume DC is from the former category and i would hope that he sees that improvements are achievable which would allow us to remain at what is unarguably one of the iconic grounds in the country.

How many houses are on Vere Road?  Do you think the current owners of these will just roll over and sell them cheaply?  The club would have to pay well over the odds to buy them,  then demolish them all, then build something new.  It would take years to sort out.

Replacing the kop and west stands would be reasonably easy.  But the fact theres a dual carriage way 6ft away from the rear of the structure of the kop in some areas is a limitation.

DC will want the most cost effective and best value option.  Unfortunately i cant see him being able to make redeveloping hillsborough stack up long term.  

3 minutes ago, mike84 said:

How many houses are on Vere Road?  Do you think the current owners of these will just roll over and sell them cheaply?  The club would have to pay well over the odds to buy them,  then demolish them all, then build something new.  It would take years to sort out.

Replacing the kop and west stands would be reasonably easy.  But the fact theres a dual carriage way 6ft away from the rear of the structure of the kop in some areas is a limitation.

DC will want the most cost effective and best value option.  Unfortunately i cant see him being able to make redeveloping hillsborough stack up long term.  

Compulsory purchase.

6 minutes ago, mike84 said:

In a city where they look in the dustbins for something to eat and nothing whatever the residents of that city do is their fault,  they have ways of persuading the local residents of moving out of the house they wanted to buy to redevelop their ground. Allegedly.

4 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Compulsory purchase.

Again,  not a quick, easy or cost effective way of securing the space needed. 

You also have many hurdles to jump before you can even get agreement to use this process

We hear so much b******t about lack of atmosphere when many people are simply meaning lack of large amounts of noise. I have been on Hillsborough many times, when the game has been finely poised and absorbing. At times like this it is often tense and many people are concentrating more on what's happening on the pitch than simply making a noise

One complaint often levelled is at the South Stand and its 'lack of noise', a completely false assertion. Over the years I have sat or stood in all parts of the ground, even the old Leppings Lane as it was before the introduction of fences, and I can assure everyone that the noise made, or more precisely, the amount of support given to the home side, is of a like intensity to any part of the ground. The fact that this doesn't appear to spread is possibly due to its construction. The roof is so wide and high that much of the sound made simply goes into the roof and not out towards the field. It doesn't mean that there is no atmosphere.

The ground (aside from pitch quality and scoreboard) is one aspect of the club that has gone backwards. Thats through no fault of the Chairman.

Sooner rather than later we will either announce plans for development or a new home.

Very exciting times.

For those talking about Hillsborough being at the " poor end of town " or in a " uninteresting location " . The club won't be rebuilding in Dore village or on Whirlowdale Road , they'll be looking to relocate to somewhere the land is cheaper.

51 minutes ago, mike84 said:

I didn't say it would be easy or cheap.

I said it would be worth it.

1 hour ago, Loxley Owl said:

The houses on Vere, Fielding and Bickerton sell for £100k-£130k depending on their state of modernisation.

The house numbers go up to 71 on the ground's side of the road, and 74 on the opposite.

So if DC bought up all the houses on Vere Road it would cost about £9mill. Thats peanuts when you consider what we could do with the land.

24 minutes ago, MuppetSpotter said:

I'm not sure who this is aimed at but in the case of my own point, I wasn't suggesting Hillsborough is 'poor' or that the club would seek to put any potential new stadium in one of Sheffields wealthier areas (which incidentally would be pointless and virtually impossible).

I did say that 'relatively speaking Hillsborough is in an uninteresting location' (among other issues which I've raised in the post). In the context of my post my point which is based around our stadium generating optimum non matchday revenue, for which we would need to be as close to the city centre as possible. There are still plenty of brownfield sites close to Sheffield city centre. 

The brownfield sites close to the centre are we talking Attercliffe valley if so the transport links are awful and the areas around are worse than Hillsborough. Neepsend hardly worth moving a couple of miles. To make a difference to ease of car access from the wider area or nationally we would have to move right next to a motorway like Elland road, which is in a relatively uninteresting location in a poor end of town but used 7 days a week.

Even Rotherham are renting their office and conference space out I'm going there to do my speed awareness course, and you couldn't get a worse location than that.

Guest The Horse

To generate income seven days a week, you have to be a destination venue and offer something people actually want to go out of their way for.

Where do people in Sheffield go for leisure?  Either the City Centre, the countryside, Meadowhall or Centertainment basically. 

Don't think I've ever heard the missus say 'let's go to Hillsborough tonight'.

Like it or not, there's no reason to visit the Hillsborough area at the moment unless you live there. 

We either redevelop massively with hotels and entertainment / shopping facilities built in and hope to attract visitors. 

Or move somewhere nearer the motorway and be part of the East End revolution with its easy access to the M1 and all the rest. Our new home would have the obligatory hotel and any other leisure activities attached as people make a day of it in that area.

I love Hillsborough of course but if we are to stay with the leading runners of the football race, I can't see any alternative to moving. 

Edited by The Horse

4 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Juventus did it best. They went from a athletics stadium with no atmosphere to a packed in close to the pitch 40,000 stadium. 

The only surpising thing was it wasn't a bigger capacity for a club of their stature. 

Yes agreed. The Delle alpi had more atmosphere when Torino played there. We dont need to move. Hillsborough is a place of beauty and history. Just needs redevelopment in places. Far nicer than any of the plastic industrial estate bowls in the prem. My fave prem ground is Goodison Park.