Fulham Scenario

1979: Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday

Arsenal featured in another extraordinary FA Cup marathon in 1979, and this was an even longer one, with four replays needed in their clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

What made this long-running tie the more unlikely was that Arsenal's opponents Sheffield Wednesday, managed by Jack Charlton, were in the Third Division.

The first match was on January 6 at Hillsborough, and finished 1-1, the next three days later at Highbury, with that game also ending in a 1-1 draw.

Leicester's old ground Filbert Street then staged three matches; a 2-2 draw, a 3-3 draw, and eventually a 2-0 win for Arsenal on January 22, courtesy of goals from Frank Stapleton and Steve Gatting. The Gunners made sure their efforts were more than worthwhile, going all the way to Wembley and beating Manchester United in the final.

It's amazing to think of this kind of marathon taking place in today's game. How much would five cup matches like this disrupt one of the top teams' campaigns now?

Sheffield Wednesday's Dave Rushbury heads clear from Arsenal's Frank Stapleton - what I like about this picture is that it couldn't have been taken at any other football ground in the world, it is unmistakably Highbury

Sheffield Wednesday's Dave Rushbury heads clear from Arsenal's Frank Stapleton - what I like about this picture is that it couldn't have been taken at any other football ground in the world, it is unmistakably Highbury

I think this is a smashing picture - not only do we see one of English football's most famous characters, Jack Charlton, in his days as Sheffield Wednesday manager, but also striker Dennis Leman drinking tea before extra-time during the second replay

I think this is a smashing picture - not only do we see one of English football's most famous characters, Jack Charlton, in his days as Sheffield Wednesday manager, but also striker Dennis Leman drinking tea before extra-time during the second

How do the playoff dates work again?

3rd v 6th who will play at home first?

4th v 5th as above

Which game is played on the Sat/Tue Sun/Wed ?

If we we're both 3 points clear of Leeds on the last day and both only needed a point, I have a feeling Fulham would try to beat us to knock us out of the play offs, as they probably see us as a bigger threat than Leeds.

Also because if they are 3 points clear of Leeds they don't really need a point do they, because of their far superior goal difference, for that reason I reckon they'd try to knock us out. 

2 hours ago, Yeahman said:

Am I right in thinking that on Saturday?

If we draw

Fulham Win

Leeds Win

Then a draw between Wednesday V Fulham would see both teams guaranteed play offs regardless of what Leeds do? I know Fulham's goal difference would mean they are pretty much there but do you think it would affect the game at Hillsborough?

Personally would love to see us pass the ball between us for 90 minutes, I usually wouldn't condone it but its LEEDS ha ha ha ha

Im sure the Pontiff will know the answer .

18 minutes ago, darklord said:

Hope we don't play for a draw,  never ends well 

If its a dead rubber , i hope we did what we did at Wolves last season and play the reserves. And give the first team squad a weekend off. 

1 hour ago, Mr Meadows said:

1979: Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday

Arsenal featured in another extraordinary FA Cup marathon in 1979, and this was an even longer one, with four replays needed in their clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

What made this long-running tie the more unlikely was that Arsenal's opponents Sheffield Wednesday, managed by Jack Charlton, were in the Third Division.

The first match was on January 6 at Hillsborough, and finished 1-1, the next three days later at Highbury, with that game also ending in a 1-1 draw.

Leicester's old ground Filbert Street then staged three matches; a 2-2 draw, a 3-3 draw, and eventually a 2-0 win for Arsenal on January 22, courtesy of goals from Frank Stapleton and Steve Gatting. The Gunners made sure their efforts were more than worthwhile, going all the way to Wembley and beating Manchester United in the final.

It's amazing to think of this kind of marathon taking place in today's game. How much would five cup matches like this disrupt one of the top teams' campaigns now?

I think this is a smashing picture - not only do we see one of English football's most famous characters, Jack Charlton, in his days as Sheffield Wednesday manager, but also striker Dennis Leman drinking tea before extra-time during the second replay

I think this is a smashing picture - not only do we see one of English football's most famous characters, Jack Charlton, in his days as Sheffield Wednesday manager, but also striker Dennis Leman drinking tea before extra-time during the second

Cracking pic - Dennis Leman, World-class when it snowed lol

Weirdly we could prefer a Fulham win than defeat this weekend: say we don't win and Leeds do I would probably prefer to play a practically secured Fulham than one needing a result. 

As others have said though - let's just win our game and let everyone else do whatever. 

That said - I see Leeds are 5/1 to get in the play offs. I think those are decent odds as I am confident they will get 6 points.

5 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Weirdly we could prefer a Fulham win than defeat this weekend: say we don't win and Leeds do I would probably prefer to play a practically secured Fulham than one needing a result. 

As others have said though - let's just win our game and let everyone else do whatever. 

That said - I see Leeds are 5/1 to get in the play offs. I think those are decent odds as I am confident they will get 6 points.

I read your posts with Marvin the paranoid android as my narrator.. Can't think why.

18 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Leeds could be in a bit of a dilemma on Saturday.

If Fulham are losing to Brentford and Leeds are drawing with Norwich (the gap would be 2 points at that point), do Leeds throw the kitchen sink to beat Norwich and risk losing a point, which could put them in a position of losing out on the play-offs on goal difference (if Leeds then beat Wigan and Wednesday beat Fulham)?

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Leeds could be in a bit of a dilemma on Saturday.

If Fulham are losing to Brentford and Leeds are drawing with Norwich (the gap would be 2 points at that point), do Leeds throw the kitchen sink to beat Norwich and risk losing a point, which could put them in a position of losing out on the play-offs on goal difference (if Leeds then beat Wigan and Wednesday beat Fulham)?

The last thing Monk will be telling Leeds is don't worry lads, if it comes to it Wednesday will do you a favour on the last day.