Marmite Bannan

32 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Watch the extended highlights and you will see plenty of him in the oppo's half.

7 out of the starting 11 players had an average position further up the pitch than Bannan. Fletcher, Hooper, Wallace, Reach, Hunt, Pudil and Lee were all further forward than him on average. 

7 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Most certainly not a top end championship player, he's our weak link . An attacking midfielder that can't score or pass is not what we need. 

Having said  that he did okay yesterday and for now is the best we have . Whatever division we are in next year I'd want better but everybody should be behind him and fingers crossed he will help us over the line 

Can't fault bannans work rate or attitude on his day he is a cracking player ,but he can't tackle he even admits that he can't score think it's something like 8 goals in 250 games ,bannan on an off day is a liability but if he is playing well he makes us tick. The more options we have the better  think it's so important we get hutch  fit if we face Fulham in playoffs I would really fear them unless we get hutch fit n Lee match fit .

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

7 out of the starting 11 players had an average position further up the pitch than Bannan. Fletcher, Hooper, Wallace, Reach, Hunt, Pudil and Lee were all further forward than him on average. 

???

What does that mean?

Is he being asked to play deeper, with no Hutch or Jones available?

1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

John Sheridan was pulling the strings for a very good Premier League team.

Paul Scholes was playing for European Giants and one of the worlds best teams.

Barry Bannan is playing in the Championship for a play off chasing team.

Surely common sense kicks in at some point.

He just doesn't excite me enough.

Lee excites me. 

But Bannan seems to lack a certain self belief that is the difference between a top player and a skilful but ultimately average player. 

Just an opinion though. He could run amok in the playoffs and I'd be happy as Larry to be proven wrong.

Just now, Sgt Wednesday said:

???

What does that mean?

Is he being asked to play deeper, with no Hutch or Jones available?

Hey, I'm not interpreting, and I'm not even saying it's a good or bad thing :biggrin:

I'm just stating the fact that Bannan had 7 players in more advanced positions than him against Derby, 4 against QPR and 5 against Cardiff. I'll leave it to y'all to decide what that entails etc 

Also i believe at the beginning of the season the opposition managers had the idea of 'stop bannan stop wednesday' and crowded him out in midfield...which seemed to make it difficult..carlos had to think his way around this and try different midfield combinations..

and inevitably the fans got mardy about this cos they thought we should smash any team that dare set foot in hillsbrough.

6 minutes ago, Barneynorthstandowl said:

I think he's a good player but there are a lot better in the championship.

I really wish he would stop shooting though

What when the defence opens up for him like moses and he has 20000 people shouting shoot..and he had less than half a second to make a decision..thats the reality of football.

You saw the difference yesterday with Lee  in the side...he was always there when you needed him letting Bannan move ten yards further up and when Wallace moved alongside him we took control of the game . Looking forward to seeing us getting better as the play off beckons 

People who do not get what Baz offers week in and week out do not really get football tbh .

The reason he sometimes gets caught in possession is that he is always available and the other players feel confident giving him the ball in tight places sometimes when they shouldn't 

Also I have to giggle when people think that he has been playing too deep because he has unilaterally decided to do by himself not because Carlos has asked him to do it . 

I am not saying he is perfect far from it but him and KL make us tick . 

Just now, Barneynorthstandowl said:

Fair point but why can't a pro footballer hardly ever hit the target,it's really frustrating 

Yea i agree..his shooting was a joke between me and my brother last season..every time everyone shouted shoot...we just shouted dooont.

But then again we have seen important stunners vs bristol city and derby.

I was just saying yesterday he needs a full week shooting training.but to be honest wallaces and ffs shooting makes up for it..

44 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Tidy, hard working player in the middle of the park. Nowt to get excited about.

Maybe I was spoiled by growing up when we had a proper playmaker (Shez)

The past. Why do you hark to the past?

I've learned a new word today.

Props. Apparently it means respect.

I saw Sheridan plenty of times..And the rest of them..This is a good team we've got here. Here and NOW..Props to them.

3 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Yea i agree..his shooting was a joke between me and my brother last season..every time everyone shouted shoot...we just shouted dooont.

But then again we have seen important stunners vs bristol city and derby.

I was just saying yesterday he needs a full week shooting training.but to be honest wallaces and ffs shooting makes up for it..

Agree regarding shooting practice 

You would have thought they do a lot anyway 

This won't be popular but IMO he has been poor this season.

Gets lots of the ball but doesn't create much and has been unwilling to drive forward. The Hollywood balls are often wasteful and unnecessary. Seems to have lost his shooting boots and won't tackle or win a header. Not impressed at all this season.

Having said that he is clearly talented so I hope he gets his mojo back

38 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

In playing the deeper role in Sam's absence you would expect that, with our overlapping fullbacks.

I think the thing with Bannan is summed up by the 11 that started yesterday. It was only 2 players different from the team that played at Wembley.

Players like Bannan , Wallace and also Lee are seen as absolute fundamental to the way we play. Infact Carlos builds the way we play around them and this is why we have struggled to integrate new signings into the team.

So the question is are these "must picks" good enough to get us to the Premier League.  This is where I have concerns.

Back to Bannan. I have seen him overpowered too much this season. Brighton at home, Leeds, Williams from Reading did it, Preston did it both home and away. Often in away games we switch him wide in the second half  to put more strength in there.

Given his size I guess we have to accept this will happen .  

So do his plus points  outweigh this.  Unlike others I am not unhappy if he goes back or sideways, it is impossible to go forward all the time.

He is in the team purely and simply for his passing and to control the pace of our game.

I think he makes too many bad decisions on which pass to make, is often is too casual in making them. Too often he flicks the ball casually rather than taking responsibility.

I do fear that in one of the possible 5 games we have left , against strong physical teams, he will get found out, because we know he will always get picked 

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I think the thing with Bannan is summed up by the 11 that started yesterday. It was only 2 players different from the team that played at Wembley.

Players like Bannan , Wallace and also Lee are seen as absolute fundamental to the way we play. Infact Carlos builds the way we play around them and this is why we have struggled to integrate new signings into the team.

So the question is are these "must picks" good enough to get us to the Premier League.  This is where I have concerns.

Back to Bannan. I have seen him overpowered too much this season. Brighton at home, Leeds, Williams from Reading did it, Preston did it both home and away. Often in away games we switch him wide in the second half  to put more strength in there.

Given his size I guess we have to accept this will happen .  

So do his plus points  outweigh this.  Unlike others I am not unhappy if he goes back or sideways, it is impossible to go forward all the time.

He is in the team purely and simply for his passing and to control the pace of our game.

I think he makes too many bad decisions on which pass to make, is often is too casual in making them. Too often he flicks the ball casually rather than taking responsibility.

I do fear that in one of the possible 5 games we have left , against strong physical teams, he will get found out, because we know he will always get picked 

He needs more billy bremner and less of the Jonny Giles..I'm surprised Bullen has pointed this out to him.

However, he's playing his part and i wouldn't want him anywhere else.