Marmite Bannan

15 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

There's no doubt he's a terrific player.

But, he's underperformed hugely this season, and for me, he (or his role, and performances) is one major reason why we've looked so pedestrian and toothless for large parts of the season.

Everything goes through him. So the argument, that every highlight features him, is immaterial. He sees more of the ball than any other player, and so by default, he's going to feature in the majority (if not all) of our attacks at some point.

Too often this season, his play is either ultra negative, not even looking for a forward pass, or the other end of the spectrum, playing ridiculous, almost hopeless long balls that gives away possession needlessly. 

For me, he has the potential to become a real top quality player, and he's still a key player for us. And therefore, I think my (and fans collectively) expectations of him are high...and rightly so. For someone who is our playmaker to such an extreme, that every player looks to find him (obviously instructed from the management), the expectations should be high. Because if he doesn't perform, the likelihood, the team won't. Which has been the case often.

I do have some sympathy with Bannan. He hasn't demanded to be used this way, but it's testimony of his ability and the management's faith in that ability, that has deemed it necessary to use him in such a role. Last season, he wasn't. He was used as A.N.Other midfielder, and didn't see the ball that much more than anybody else. As a result, he seemed to be far more positive on the ball, on the fewer occasions he got it. 

But like has been said already, despite him starting the game woefully yesterday, and against Cardiff and Newcastle, he never stops wanting the ball. Doesn't go hiding, and continues to work tirelessly. At the end of the day, he's a player who is a top Championship player, and could easily make the step up.

This......too often he looks for the easy short pass with Lees/Loovens/Sasso which is a waste of time and detracting from what we could do further up the pitch. 

He tends to faff around too much doing the pirouette turning away from players in space, as though the ball can't be passed to someone in acres of space (usually Hunt, Pudil or Reach) and waits until they've been closed down. Hooper gave a masterclass yesterday in bringing team mates into the game at the time right time.

I don't dislike Bannan, last season he was very good but this season he has been so negative and, for me, is one of the reasons why we have been so turgid....I feel as though I want to run on to the pitch, shake him and tell him to look for the forward pass (and not the bloomin' 50 yard Hollywood pass!)

Ive said before gone from overrated to underrated. 

What is exceptional is that he has stayed fit and willing. For me hes been really good and as someone else said other teams know they have to overload him or he runs the game.

4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

He was better last season in that his inventiveness was a bit better, plus he had lots of good games out on the left where as this season he's looked out of sorts when we've tried him there so his versatility has worsened. Also his long-range screamers occasionally flew in (I'm thinking mainly of that absolutely gorgeous goal at Pride Park.

That said, he's still been good this season and is still a crucial player for us. Lee81 makes a very good point, in recent weeks Jones has allowed him to move up the pitch and effect himself closer to the final third as that's what was driving me mad about him earlier this year. Bannan is a player who knows he's crucial to our game plan and is happy to take it upon himself to start our moves - but it doesn't work when he's dropping right back to our defensive line to collect the ball, as then it's easier for the opposition to cut off his passing options and force him into a "hollywood" pass which more often than not won't come off. Yesterday I noticed a lot more of his ambitious passes were coming off, he played both full backs into very dangerous positions on numerous occasions - and that was because his starting point was often well inside Derby's half. He imposed himself on their midfield and controlled the game very well.

His tackling isn't great but he's very, very tenacious, he never lacks for effort and can often shepherd an opposition attacker towards Jones, Hutch or one of the centre halves who then make the tackle themselves. He's a busy and effective player to have in the midfield and I'm glad we have him. I'm hoping a fully fit and integrated Almen Abdi will be back for the start of next season, as he's a similar sort of player and hopefully they will push one another onto new heights in the battle for a starting place.

Pithy and to the point.

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Fair point. I think he's been asked to defend the back four when hutch has been out.

When he's played in a more advanced position he's had a lot of man of the match awards.

I haven't been a big fan of the lad.. but credit where it's due?

I know where you're coming from but he was defending the back four when Hutch was playing and that's been my gripe with him (and our style for most of the season). Yesterday, it was fine for him to sit deep with no Hutch or Jones but bizarrely, he played a more advanced game despite Lee doing what he does best and linking well with the forwards.

6 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I know where you're coming from but he was defending the back four when Hutch was playing and that's been my gripe with him (and our style for most of the season). Yesterday, it was fine for him to sit deep with no Hutch or Jones but bizarrely, he played a more advanced game despite Lee doing what he does best and linking well with the forwards.

Yep to some extent, but un bizarrely he plays where Carlos tells him to. And CC has decided that we are playing it forward quicker recently.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Been reading a number of posts criticising his performance yesterday. I gave him a decent rating and thought he had an excellent game.

I watched the extended highlights just now, and he was right in the middle of everything we did. There was barely a highlight attack that he hadn't started or join in.

I also recall the Newcastle fans praising him highly. Commentators and pundits often pick him out as a key performer or even MOM. 

He is our Peter Reid, our Archie Gemmell, our Ray Wilkins, our out-ball, our giver and getter, our string-puller, and our play-spreader. He never stops and never ever hides.

He can't tackle like Hutch, nor shoot like Wallace, but if he could he would be playing for a decent Prem side, not a good Championship side.

Personally I see him as one of our very best and most important players. To me he is a pleasure to watch, and I always feel optimistic when he moves forward with the ball.

Bang on

Hes everything that makes us good at the moment

Most certainly not a top end championship player, he's our weak link . An attacking midfielder that can't score or pass is not what we need. 

Having said  that he did okay yesterday and for now is the best we have . Whatever division we are in next year I'd want better but everybody should be behind him and fingers crossed he will help us over the line 

11 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Bannan or Shelvey?

Hmm. Tough call. 

Its obvious you don't like BB, the post above said 'one of the best'.

Shelvey is quality and was in the England squad a few years ago.

They are completely different players though, so difficult to compare. I would say they would be an interesting pairing.

For me Bannan is better in possession.

Shelvey is much more powerful and direct.

Edited by Sgt Wednesday

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Most certainly not a top end championship player, he's our weak link . An attacking midfielder that can't score or pass is not what we need. 

Having said  that he did okay yesterday and for now is the best we have . Whatever division we are in next year I'd want better but everybody should be behind him and fingers crossed he will help us over the line 

Make your mind up clown.

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

He's not an attacking midfielder. I've no idea where you've got that idea from.

He's played as a deep playmaker for the majority of this season. Either in a double pivot alongside Hutchinson, or in a more traditional two man midfield, alongside Kieran Lee. 

He's never played as an attacking midfielder whilst he's been at Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Its obvious you don't like BB, the post above said 'one of the best'.

Shelvey is quality and was in the England squad a few years ago.

They are completely different players though, so difficult to compare. I would say they would be an interesting pairing.

For me Bannan is better in possession.

Shelvey is much more powerful and direct.

I like him but maybe I have too bigger expectation on him. 

Maybe I shouldn't compare him to the mental template I have for a playmaker, which is based on the likes of Paul Scholes or John Sheridan. 

Edited by Bodhidharma

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Been reading a number of posts criticising his performance yesterday. I gave him a decent rating and thought he had an excellent game.

I watched the extended highlights just now, and he was right in the middle of everything we did. There was barely a highlight attack that he hadn't started or join in.

I also recall the Newcastle fans praising him highly. Commentators and pundits often pick him out as a key performer or even MOM. 

He is our Peter Reid, our Archie Gemmell, our Ray Wilkins, our out-ball, our giver and getter, our string-puller, and our play-spreader. He never stops and never ever hides.

He can't tackle like Hutch, nor shoot like Wallace, but if he could he would be playing for a decent Prem side, not a good Championship side.

Personally I see him as one of our very best and most important players. To me he is a pleasure to watch, and I always feel optimistic when he moves forward with the ball.

Its the same in most games. Some people just seem to have a dislike to him & focus on any little mistake.

He hasn't been the same as last year but I'm sure that he has been asked to ply a different role. Yesterday he was similar to last year making the odd run forward & playing quicker balls in & that is no doubt down to Lee being back with him.

Just now, frastheowl said:

He's not an attacking midfielder. I've no idea where you've got that idea from.

He's played as a deep playmaker for the majority of this season. Either in a double pivot alongside Hutchinson, or in a more traditional two man midfield, alongside Kieran Lee. 

He's never played as an attacking midfielder whilst he's been at Wednesday.

Im glad you highlighted that.

Bannan attacking midfielder lol, just proves my point about some posters having no idea whats going on.

2 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

I like him but maybe I have too bigger expectation on him. 

Maybe I shouldn't compare him to the mental template I have for a playmaker, which is based on the likes of Paul Scholes or John Sheridan. 

John Sheridan was pulling the strings for a very good Premier League team.

Paul Scholes was playing for European Giants and one of the worlds best teams.

Barry Bannan is playing in the Championship for a play off chasing team.

Surely common sense kicks in at some point.