Marmite Bannan

Just now, Holmowl said:

Five wins in five since Sam last played.

If he was fully fit for a key game shortly, would you replace Bannan with Hutch? I absolutely would not.

That, my friend, is what you call a loaded question.

Hutch back in the holding role.. Bannan centre mid and pushing on.

There's no doubt he's a terrific player.

But, he's underperformed hugely this season, and for me, he (or his role, and performances) is one major reason why we've looked so pedestrian and toothless for large parts of the season.

Everything goes through him. So the argument, that every highlight features him, is immaterial. He sees more of the ball than any other player, and so by default, he's going to feature in the majority (if not all) of our attacks at some point.

Too often this season, his play is either ultra negative, not even looking for a forward pass, or the other end of the spectrum, playing ridiculous, almost hopeless long balls that gives away possession needlessly. 

For me, he has the potential to become a real top quality player, and he's still a key player for us. And therefore, I think my (and fans collectively) expectations of him are high...and rightly so. For someone who is our playmaker to such an extreme, that every player looks to find him (obviously instructed from the management), the expectations should be high. Because if he doesn't perform, the likelihood, the team won't. Which has been the case often.

I do have some sympathy with Bannan. He hasn't demanded to be used this way, but it's testimony of his ability and the management's faith in that ability, that has deemed it necessary to use him in such a role. Last season, he wasn't. He was used as A.N.Other midfielder, and didn't see the ball that much more than anybody else. As a result, he seemed to be far more positive on the ball, on the fewer occasions he got it. 

But like has been said already, despite him starting the game woefully yesterday, and against Cardiff and Newcastle, he never stops wanting the ball. Doesn't go hiding, and continues to work tirelessly. At the end of the day, he's a player who is a top Championship player, and could easily make the step up.

Edited by frastheowl

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

No. Lee/ Bannan centre mid. Hutch tucked behind. 

Ff floating leftish Wallace right.

Lone striker would be Fletcher for Ipswich.

Fulham would be a totally different line up.

I think this is where it goes wrong picking from back to front. We are awful with a lone-striker.

For me, it's Lee Bannan if every midfielder is fit. In a 442.

M. Bassett.

c/o FA Headquarters.

He hasn't reached the very high standards of last season. He's a good, busy type of player to have on the pitch, although he plays it far too deep for my liking. He hardly ever gets into the opponents half, which is a shame.

2 minutes ago, dehowl said:

He hasn't reached the very high standards of last season. He's a good, busy type of player to have on the pitch, although he plays it far too deep for my liking. He hardly ever gets into the opponents half, which is a shame.

Watch the extended highlights and you will see plenty of him in the oppo's half.

16 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

That, my friend, is what you call a loaded question.

Hutch back in the holding role.. Bannan centre mid and pushing on.

Except that he doesn't. He's usually alongside Hutch/Jones looking for the short pass leaving us short on numbers further up the pitch

He was better last season in that his inventiveness was a bit better, plus he had lots of good games out on the left where as this season he's looked out of sorts when we've tried him there so his versatility has worsened. Also his long-range screamers occasionally flew in (I'm thinking mainly of that absolutely gorgeous goal at Pride Park.

That said, he's still been good this season and is still a crucial player for us. Lee81 makes a very good point, in recent weeks Jones has allowed him to move up the pitch and effect himself closer to the final third as that's what was driving me mad about him earlier this year. Bannan is a player who knows he's crucial to our game plan and is happy to take it upon himself to start our moves - but it doesn't work when he's dropping right back to our defensive line to collect the ball, as then it's easier for the opposition to cut off his passing options and force him into a "hollywood" pass which more often than not won't come off. Yesterday I noticed a lot more of his ambitious passes were coming off, he played both full backs into very dangerous positions on numerous occasions - and that was because his starting point was often well inside Derby's half. He imposed himself on their midfield and controlled the game very well.

His tackling isn't great but he's very, very tenacious, he never lacks for effort and can often shepherd an opposition attacker towards Jones, Hutch or one of the centre halves who then make the tackle themselves. He's a busy and effective player to have in the midfield and I'm glad we have him. I'm hoping a fully fit and integrated Almen Abdi will be back for the start of next season, as he's a similar sort of player and hopefully they will push one another onto new heights in the battle for a starting place.

5 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

He's not a matchwinner. 

He is very adept at retaining possession in the middle of the park, but so was Darren Potter. 

Hahahahahaha.  That's one of the greatest things I've ever read on here.

"He's not a match winner".  Hahahahahahaha

Presumably you mean "he doesn't score goals"?

Just not bothered...

he does his best work when playing further forward linking the midfield and attack. He has played far too deep too many times this season. Now,with Hooper fit and Lee coming back we should see Barry B where he plays his best football linking with Hooper.

I can't help but think that Bannan has been a victim of Carlos' change in style this season. I get the feeling that he's been asked to play deeper and sometimes he takes this to extremes.

He's a much better player moving forward with the ball, for whatever reason he doesn't do this nearly enough. Actually, he looked much better yesterday with Lee alongside him doing the dynamic stuff. When he plays with Hutch or Jones he can't seem to help but sit deeper and deeper.

Like others I wish he would just play it simple more often; he seems to like 5 touches when 1 or 2 would suffice. 

Just now, mattitheowl said:

Hahahahahaha.  That's one of the greatest things I've ever read on here.

"He's not a match winner".  Hahahahahahaha

Presumably you mean "he doesn't score goals"?

That is what you presume I mean.

Just now, Jakes Grandad said:

he does his best work when playing further forward linking the midfield and attack. He has played far too deep too many times this season. Now,with Hooper fit and Lee coming back we should see Barry B where he plays his best football linking with Hooper.

Beat me to it

Just now, Bramhall Owl said:

Except that he doesn't. He's usually alongside Hutch/Jones looking for the short pass leaving us short on numbers further up the pitch

Fair point. I think he's been asked to defend the back four when hutch has been out.

When he's played in a more advanced position he's had a lot of man of the match awards.

I haven't been a big fan of the lad.. but credit where it's due?