How nervous do you get?

When watching Wednesday?  I swear I'm getting worse as I get older. I keep having to turn the volume down on the radio when the opposites attack in away games. At home I can't watch at times - I saw very little of last five minutes of Newcastle match. God knows what these last two home matches are going to be like. It's because the stakes are so high. Oh to be a safe mid-table premiership team and just playing for fun. 

Agree. Been watching Wednesday since the early 1960s and I swear I am as nervous now than ever - probably more so. These last few games - since Barnsley (excepting Rotherham) - have been painful to watch. Why can't we make life easy instead of hanging on to a one-goal lead with minutes to go - or at QPR the whole second half. Oh to go into the last game knowing we are safe.

I hate big games.  Derby's are just horrific, I remember nearly being sick at the playoff final in Cardiff and at the beam back when Spurr scored after a few minutes.  I'm such a fanny.  

Wasn't so bad last seasons final, as didn't have long to compute the despair, but when we Brighton were battering us in the 2nd leg, I was a mess.  :laugh:

1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

Watching the Owls for 50+ years so coping with nerves is hard, usually a snifter or two pre match makes it easier.

For sure age plays its part.  Like you, I've been watching/following Wednesday since 60/61 - 50+ years.  I swear as a youngster I never doubted they would win - even through the wretched 70s. But I was watching Newcastle on Sky and listening to QPR on player and had to leave the room for the last few minutes for the first of these and kept taking off my headphones throughout the second half for the latter.  Mind you when our goals go in the howls of excitement, the fist pumping and the leaping off my seat is exactly as it was when I were a little lad:rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

thank god for that, i thought i was the only one. no problem at a game but i'm like a shivering wreck when watching on tv

I think it's the fear of the unknown. When you're at the match you have a sense of everything that is happening...crowd/bench etc.

Where as on tv you can only see what the cameras are showing you and on the radio you are relying on the commentators to give a fair view of what's going on.

I have got rid of Wednesday player because you don't have a clue what is happening on the pitch until they start screaming when someone scores.

7 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Not nervous when at a match but really bad when watching on tv or listening to the radio.

Radio is the worst for me. Not bad at the game or on tele. 

Trying to picture in my mind how close the opposites are getting is horrible. 

1 minute ago, lee81 said:

Absolutely this. Why do the commentators always make it sound as if they're in front of the six yard box whenever the opposites have the ball?

1 minute ago, lee81 said:

Same for me, can't listen to the away games on the radio as the proximity of the commentators to the home crowd sometimes gives the impression they might score every time we lose the ball, regardless of what the reality is. Saying that, I got so worked up leading up to the 2nd leg of the Brighton game I couldn't watch that either, went for a walk instead, I've never done that before.

Completely different when I am at the match, home or away. It's not that I go with expectation of a win, though thankfully the expectation of impending defeat has at least subsided in the last couple of years! As you say, being able to see what is happening and have a feeling for the game and the mood of the crowd, an idea of the confidence & approach of the teams etc rather than having to interpret this through the opinions of someone is the difference.

That Brighton 2nd leg was by far the worst I have ever felt watching a game, I felt physically sick, weirdly a lot more nervous than at any point in the run up or during the final itself.

10 pints in the Green Man might have eased things a little mind. 

Edited by swfc1983

2 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

That Brighton 2nd leg was by far the worst I have ever felt watching a game, I felt physically sick, weirdly a lot more nervous than at any point in the run up or during the final itself.

Yeah that was horrible and just seemed to go on forever!!

I was surprisingly relaxed for first half of Newcastle game because I honestly expected very little from the game. However when we scored and the possibility of winning became a reality. .. that's when the nerves kicked in.