Your Dad.

Guest Buggleskkelly

My dad only supports Wednesday because I do. He also likes Doncaster Rovers because we live there. He's been a lucky charm this season though. He's only been to two matches - Wigan and Newcastle and we won them both 2-1. 

My dad started watching Wednesday in the 1930's; used to tell me about all the great players we had back then with Mark Hooper being his favourite. But his all time fave was Derek Dooley. I can vividly remember, in the mid-60's, we walked along the road next to the South Stand to pick up our season tickets pre-season....there was this ginger haired guy smoking a pipe in the development fund office and my dad nudging me and saying "that's Dooley". It was odd cos my dad was never emotional but for those few seconds he was like a kid seeing a pop star. Still brings a tear to my eye thinking about it!

He had an industrial injury (he worked down the pit at Orgreave) in the early 70's and was never really the same after with frequent illnesses. We gave up the season tickets though I still went to most home games and I remember taking him to the home game v Rotherham at Christmas 1977 when we were in the Third; it was the first time he'd been in years. Must have been difficult for him to watch us as a Third Division side.

The next time he went was Spurs at home on 2 Nov 1991. Although it was a 0-0 draw we played really well; just one of those days when it wouldn't go in. But it meant a great deal to him to know that we had a great team and for him to see it; what with me living in Essex by then I think we both knew it would be the last time he went to Hillsborough and indeed it was. Although we drove and parked reasonably near by it took an awful lot out of him.

He died in the summer of 1999 when at least we were still a PL team. But I owe him so much for passing his love for Wednesday on to me.

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

My Dad (who was Polish) wasn't bothered about watching live football and only ever went to one game with me. Took him in the North Stand to see a league cup game v Man City c 1977 and we drew 1-1. He seemed to enjoy it though.

your dad was a hero in other things more important Leon , i won't forget what you told us my friend ,be proud son

My Dad took me to my first game, pretty sure it was against Liverpool back in the 80's sometime, had season tickets with him for years, made 4 pilgrimages to Wembley in 93, some good times, some great times and a fair few crap times too.

Last game we went to together was Benfica pre-season, part-timing runs in the genes, although to be fair, he lives in Spain.

Have been trying to remember what the last game was that my dad went to , but hard as I try i cannot remember . This makes me sadder than last year at Wembley:sad:.

Its the feeling that I have let the memory of a  great Wednesdayite down, even though he died in 1974.

I can remember he had stopped going when I was married in1970 because he had Parkinsons and was too stiff to sit  but he was well enough to get to Wembley in 66 so it must have been ~ 68 when he stopped.

Ah well , a good owls fan from Wadsley deserved better :sad:

Last game with my Dad was against Cardiff and we will be together again on Saturday. Sat together in the south stand since I was 6 and I'm 52 now. So thankful to him for bringing me up properly. Me and my son's last game together was QPR yesterday.

3 hours ago, Tarquin said:

Have been trying to remember what the last game was that my dad went to , but hard as I try i cannot remember . This makes me sadder than last year at Wembley:sad:.

Its the feeling that I have let the memory of a  great Wednesdayite down, even though he died in 1974.

I can remember he had stopped going when I was married in1970 because he had Parkinsons and was too stiff to sit  but he was well enough to get to Wembley in 66 so it must have been ~ 68 when he stopped.

Ah well , a good owls fan from Wadsley deserved better :sad:

You haven't let anyone down mate, I'm sure you have loads of other memories both Wednesday related and none Wednesday related with your Dad. I thought for a while I had let my Dad down as I/we decided to turn off his life support. However with time I have realised that though it was a horrible decision to make it was also the right one and one he himself would have chosen given the chance in the circumstances. Just cus you can't recall the last match with him doesn't diminish all the other matches you enjoyed  (or endured) together. UTO!

Guest Arnold

This was my first game. Would of been about 4. The first I really remember thou was playing arsenal at home on a night match. I remember Ian Wright playing up front for them. I'd love to find out what game it was. I still go with my dad to this day. 

Edited by Arnold

My dad's last game: we beat Newcastle 2-1 in 1982. He took me to my first game in 1977. He was born in 1931 and his dad took him as a kid. 

I watched a game on youtube the other night that I vividly recall my dad taking me to in 1978 when we beat Port Vale 3-1 in the snow at Hillsborough in front of the Yorkshire TV cameras.  

4 hours ago, leetheowl said:

Last game with my Dad was against Cardiff and we will be together again on Saturday. Sat together in the south stand since I was 6 and I'm 52 now. So thankful to him for bringing me up properly. Me and my son's last game together was QPR yesterday.

First game was 5-0 against West Ham in 1993... Last game with my dad was QPR yesterday ^^

Still go to games with my Dad, Grandpa and my mates and wouldn't change it for the world. I realise how lucky I am. It's the little things that make it special. The lifting my dad up when we score like he used to do for me and my grandpas out of time clapping to high ho silver lining. Perfect.

14 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

You haven't let anyone down mate, I'm sure you have loads of other memories both Wednesday related and none Wednesday related with your Dad. I thought for a while I had let my Dad down as I/we decided to turn off his life support. However with time I have realised that though it was a horrible decision to make it was also the right one and one he himself would have chosen given the chance in the circumstances. Just cus you can't recall the last match with him doesn't diminish all the other matches you enjoyed  (or endured) together. UTO!

Of course you are right-  the end for my dad was a bit like your dad .

He was in hospital after falling down stairs and breaking a rib , pneumonia had set in and he was trying his best to shake it off . He was propped up in bed and motioned to us he wanted a drink , my mother poured out a small glass of Lucazade and I offered it up to his lips with his head in the crook of my elbow  he took one sip and relaxed- and was gone.

Very upsetting at the time but the irony of it being Lucazade (aids recovery:rolleyes: ) has not been lost  on the familly . He would have found it very funny and will no doubt be laughing at it now .