Your Dad.

Guest Buggleskkelly

Cannot remember the last game we actually went together but it would have been in the early 2000’s and he would have been using my season ticket because my partner could not go.

However at the end of the 2002 season I said to him I am not renewing its too depressing for me I don’t want to go so I am taking a break. So for the start of the 2003 season I bought both my parents a season ticket. They were in their sixties at the time and it was the first ever season ticket they had ever had and I am pleased to say they have renewed their seats every year since.

I will tell you about the first ever game that he himself took me to and what I remember. He was quite excited because he said he had not been to Hillsborough for 15 years. It was a sunny day and I think its 70-71 season. So we were stood on the kop for Sheffield Wednesday versus Luton Town. Unfortunately Gerry Young played a short backpass to the keeper and some guy called Malcolm McDonald picked it off and slotted it into the net. Poor old Gerry copped for some boos after that which I do remember was not nice. I think we went on to lose 5-1. When we were walking up Herries Road on the way home my dad said half joking well its 15 years since I’ve been and after what I’ve just seen it will be another 15 before I go again. In the end he did relent because we went again that season.

My Dad had no interest in football whatsoever except to comment, when I came home from the match, "lost again!", or "what happened there?".

Eventually my son had been educated and wanted his grandads to go with him. So my father-in-law saw us vs Grimsby in the cup, 7-1, my dad saw us the following match, 0-0 borefest. Can't remember the opposition.

second and last time he went with me was when I won tickets for a meal and corporate box seat. Rochdale at home, 2-0, and I have the match ball. Dad didn't have a clue what was happening. Didn't realise at the time, but he was suffering early signs of dementia. 

Speaking as a dad....

I took my lad to Hillsborough when he was a ridiculously young age, I bought him the kits, I threatened him if he mentioned Man utd..When he was about 9, I started taking him to away games, by the time he was 11, he was a more rabid Owls supporter than me.

I have a season ticket next to him now, two grandkids, kitted up and ready for the coming seasons....and honestly, you can do all the sensible dad talk about..."Don't go home wiv strangers" "ring yer mum"..all that bloody responsibility stuff you have to do as they grow up,

BUT...

Get to Hillsborough with yer lad when Wednesday score a late a winner, and there is no Dad/Son..nor f.ook all, just a couple of idiots who happen to carry the same genes, goin' batsh *t mental...The divide disappears...its just 2 daft blokes..who happen to be related...

My Dad wasn't really too bothered about following football, as an adult, though he had played until his late teens when he broke his ankle.  Both parents took me to the greatest match I have ever seen live - Wednesday 5 Man Utd 4 - 31st August 1968 if I remember correctly.

After that I was genuinely hooked and used to go with mates on the Kop - until that fateful night in May 1969 when a gang of us went in the North West Corner to see Man City try their best to hand the game to us so we could stay in Division One.   .... And then Ian Bowyer came on and scored or made two goals that relegated us.

Must have been around 10 years ago now bless him...he died 7 years ago but the night before his passing he told me that us going to the match together was his way of spending "quality" time with me over the years...when he said that we both burst out laughing at the "quality" part...went together regularly from my first game in 69/70 to the mid 80's!! Remember my Grandads last game...4-0 v Fulham in 72/73 and we sat ont North!! 

My dad was a big Wednesday fan. He died in 1994. He started taking me from an early age. Can't remember the first match but the first away game we went to was at Man City. During his last few years, he was too ill to go but would always like to hear a full report of the game. I have been taking my grandson for the past 7 years - home and away and we have season tickets on the kop. I get pleasure from seeing his passion and enthusiasm so I feel I have successfully passed the flame on.

Last game was against Everton, sometime in the 90's. Nil- nil, poor game, only partially excused by the siling rain. Andy Booth was our cart horse, Duncan Ferguson theirs. Would have been totally forgettable were it not the only occasion when my Dad came to Hillsboroough with his grandson, so treasured memories.

Fulham at home 1974. We won 1-0. Eric McMordie scored. 11,000 crowd, stood on the room right side of the Kop.

Thats the last match he ever went to. He was 38. He was a regular in the 1950's and 1960's but got disillusioned at the slump and was disgusted with hooliganism.

My dad's an oinker unfortunately so when I was a nipper he'd only take me to the games he could sneak us in for free (uncle was a steward) I'd then have to listen to him tell me how crap Wednesday had been even though we'd won. I went with him to the stain and would have a great time when United lost, I even went with him to the old Wembley to see them lose a playoff final, I had a fantastic time. I think the last time he went with me to Hillsborough was when we beat Sainsburys in the FA Cup. 

My dad's Spanish but adopted Wednesday 30 years ago and has been huge fan ever since. It's through him that I get my love of footy as none of my English family are bothered about it. 

Sadly, the old man's a bit too unsteady on his feet for games now. Think our last game was at the latter end of the Mind The Gap season. 

My Dad passed away 21years ago .

I have 2 very clear memories of games with him.

Season 62-63. Owls v Villa.

David "Bronco" Layne sent off for alledgedly hitting Villa's Macewan and removing some teeth. Blood dtreaming from the injury. It was also one of the biggest cushion throwing incidents from the north stand. 

November 12th 1960 . Owls 2 v Spurs 1

Attendance 53988. I was 12.

Scorers Griffin and Fantham (my then hero)

Team

Mclaren

Johnson 

Megson

McAnearney

Swan

Kay (another hero) also an early Hutch.

Griffin

Craig (an early Lees)

Ellis ( an early Nuihu)

Fantham 

Finney

Spurs team full of internationals.

Wednesday finished 2nd in the league to Spurs.

It was Spurs first defeat of the season.

I stood on the foundations of the now North stand in the rubble of the building site. 

SAG and HAS would have had kittens.

Those two games will be with me forever. A lasting reminder of my Dad who introduced me to Wednesday at a very early age 

Thanks Dad.

I was at both the Villa and Spurs games. I still rate the Spurs match (I was on the kop) as one of my all time favourites. I agree with your assessment of the team. Hutch reminds me of Kay and, with a better forward, we might have won the league.

The one and only game that I went to with my Dad (who's Christian name is Barnslie would you believe) was Huddersfield v Spurs when I was about seven...I'm now 60.

The only thing that I can remember, apart from not being able to see f* ck all, was somebody shouting in a very broad Yorkshire drawl "kick him in the scrotum " 

Everybody started laughing, needless to say I had no idea what was so funny.

one and only time I went with my dad was last game of the season v burnley 1962 .....he wasn't a football fan and could never understand why anyone would travel 10 miles never mind 400 miles to watch 22 blokes kick a ball around a field for 90 minutes ...