Your Dad.

Guest Buggleskkelly

My Dad does not get to many matches these days,    last match Newcastle 2-1 last Saturday,   he got a 3-1 record this season,   seeing us beat Barnsley, Huddersfield and Newcastle and seeing us lose to Brentford,   he should have a season ticket next season now he has been retired,    but he got to learn how the getting out of bed retirement wave goes. 

V spurs 1966 ish, drew 1-1 I think...Can remember Jimmy Greaves missing a sitter in the last minute in front of the kop. Also went to Blackburn in the quarter-final 66 cup.

Train from midland station, when the train came in he said keep away from edge of platform, let all the nutters get on first. Some things never change lol

QPR in about 81 - my first game. Losing 3-0 and I wasn't interested then Gary Bannister scored and since then I was hooked. Remember Nan taking me to the Wednesday shop in the hole in the road thing a few weeks later to get a Gary Bannister badge. Woman serving said all the girls liked Gary Bannister. Admittedly I had been given a Jimmy Krankie haircut at the time but still think the inference was harsh.

Lost 1-0 to West Ham end of 80/81 season May 8th. Lost a pal and a Dad when he died August 21st. Our seats in North were Gangway J Row 39 seats & 96 never sat there since.

Dad was a centre forward at Hallam got picked up by Wednesday in early 30's played in 'A' Team and a few reserve games. Reserved occupation so managed a few games in the war with Birmingham and Crystal Palace. He finished with football after I came along in 1950 having given me a bone transplant, he was back at Hallam by then.

Our best match together had to be the 5-4 Victory against Manchester United. 

Theres a lot to pay back if he's like my old man, remember the Rouse cup?  Think it might have been called the Mercantile Credit cup??  Mid to late 80's, He took me there, spent a small fortune on trains and hotels to watch what was effectively an exhibition tournament, but it was Wembley and he thought we'd never get to see Wednesday there ever again!  Little did we know we'd be there 3 or 4 years later and disposing of a small mortgage in the process!!

happy days!

You're right.  He took me to Wembley 4 times in 1993 and at 14 with only a paper round to my name, I didn't spend a penny.

weren't really into football at 8/9 years old but me and some mates went to Bramall lane.went home after .

my dad : 'where've you been?'

me : 'Watch united dad'

dad : 'what?!!!!!!'

drags me upstairs and smacks me with belt lol

dad: 'step in that place again,and it'll be last thing you ever do'

me with tears in eyes ,confused ,had to listen to my dad yelling at me til the next Wednesday home game.

my dad took me and the rest is history lol

R.I.P you evil ba$tard lol

Great OP this because for me the memories of the football are woven completely with memories of family.  First game v Spurs back in 69 with my dad and grandad. Went for years with mates then mostly on my own when lived away but for past 20 years with dad again and last 10 with dad and son.  Remember Waddles goal in 93 semi, my dad went mental. Was totally shocked, never seen him like that. Son then looked at me in same way when O'grady scored v pigs a few years ago.  Nothing better than travelling away on the train with my son, win or lose. So many memories - stripes, no stripes, Hillsborough or wherever, makes no difference. Wednesday for me are all about these great memories. 

Guest wilyfox

My Dad never took me, and sadly passed two weeks ago. He wasn't into sport. I bet there are some lovely Wednesday father/son stories to be shared on here, but I can't offer one.