Your Dad.

Guest Buggleskkelly

Followed Wednesday all over the country with my Dad , and i think the last game we went to together was a pre season friendly at Huddersfield in the late 90,s.

Ill health meant he couldnt attend any more , but Wednesday were still the first thing we talked about when we were together right up till his passing 3 years ago.

A week or so before he passed he was laid drifting in and out of consciousness and i told him that the blunts had lost to Yeovil in the play offs......i didnt think he had heard me at first , then a little smile played on his lips making me laugh.

He was a real character in his day..........very bolshy , and i have told quite a few stories about him on here in the past including the one where he nearly got us lynched at St James Park celebrating Sheltons winner.

I guess quite a few will relate to me when i say that as a teenager me and my Dad clashed quite a bit..............but that went all out of the window for 5 hours every Saturday afternoon when we were best mates.

I was stood on my own supping a pint at half time at Wembley last year when i heard a "now then mucker" , it was an old mate who used to sit near us every year in the south stand , his Dad and mine were close friends and we lost them both within a few years of each other.

After the initial catching up and discussing the match there was a brief pause , and he looked at me and said "have you brought your Dad with you today, cause i have" , which was so weird because i was about to say the same thing.

"yeah" i replied , "he`s already complaining about Nuhiu and he`s not even on yet" , my mate burst out laughing cause he knew that Nuhiu was the type of player my Dad would have hated.

To all those still going with their Dads make sure you cherish it , cause its never quite the same when they`re gone.

My dad and my uncles were all blades however, he took me to all the matches in our 1966 FA Cup run and to watch the two greatest teams ever to play at Bramall Lane...the Yorkshire side that beat the Aussies in 63' and the Harlem Globetrotters   lol 

My dad will say he's a Wednesday fan if anyone asks who he supports, but he's never really been bothered about going. Took me to my first 3 or 4 games in early 1980's until he thought I was old enough to go with my mates. He's only been once or twice since. 

I now go with my lad who has a season ticket next to me. First took him when he was about 4 years old and 16 years later it's 'our thing'. There's nothing like celebrating with your kid when a late winner goes in ! 

On 17/04/2017 at 07:53, zico.b said:

Last game with my dad was Newcastle. We have season tickets, but missed Cardiff game because we're currently on holiday.

He's actually a Rotherham fan, but given me and my brothers bleed blue and white, it's the only way he gets to enjoy our footballing company!

Joking aside, he's very knowledgeable about the game in general and will watch any game anywhere in the world (park pitch right up to World Cup finals) with the same interest. I can get easily bored if Wednesday aren't involved, so admire him for having more love for the beautiful game than I will ever have.

Cheers for taking me to Hillsborough in 1984 Dad (and thank God Rotherham were away that day!).

I will tell you what he is like, and I promise this is a true story. He actually ran the line at a Greek professional game. We had gone to watch this local game, lower end of the Greek league (less than 1000 in attendance) and one of the linesmen didn't turn up for the game. So, not to miss a chance, dad went up to the ref, explained he was a Class 1 Referee and out he came to run the line for the entire game. We were supposed to be on holiday too!

I say dad but John is actually my step-dad, but a better a dad you couldn't wish for. I'm so very lucky to have my dad (Keith) and my step-dad (John) in my life. I can't remember my first game, but I think it was with Keith and most certainly at Rotherham. Keith, like John, were both born in Rotherham and supported their local team, with John actually playing for Rotherham as a 'keeper in the 70s. I would have been about 6 years old.

John used to take me to games too. I have been to loads of places with him, and some odd-ball places too. I do remember 5 years after my mum and dad got divorced, that I went to Wembley with both Keith and John (and a friend of Keith's) to watch an FA Cup Final. That's weird as a 10 year old, but looking back, priceless.

Keith lives in Portugal now and although he still supports Rotherham, he isn't as fanatical about football as John is. John just lives and breathes the game, and it makes it worse that our other brother was also a professional, so my poor mum is well and truly a football widow. I could have actually played for Wednesday, if only someone had asked me down for a trial and I was actually good enough. I still hold on to the dream though; never say never.

Cardiff last year on North stand...his 85th B'day..With mi Brothers,last time he went says it's to cold  now tho...Took him a blanket and wrapped him in it,but he has a bit of Parkinsons in his hand and started to get funny looks from them around  us.So prob best he stays at home..UTO...

Nope my Dad never went a football match to my knowledge anyway.

It was my Grandad and to a much lesser degree one of my Uncles that took me to Hillsborough. I can't recall the last game for certain i went with him but I suspect it was the last game in '84 when got promoted back to Div 1 and i went off to be a student. He passed away 1990. He would have loved that League Cup win at Wembley, but he did go to the '35 cup final.

Guest Buggleskkelly
2 hours ago, daftpenguin said:

BUMP

guess who's coming to the Fulham match off the back of this thread?

Worked against Brighton last season!

I don't know !

but does he want a pint of WARDS ?

Last time my Dad came to a game,was the last time ALL three male members of my family attended a game together and it was the League cup game v. Liverpool in january 84.

I got married a year later,and went to games on my own mostly,although I went with our kid to a few games over the years my Dad moved away from sheffield 2 years later and circumstances meant he only saw us on the box.

He ignited my interest in the Owls (despite bieng brought up in a blade dominated famiil) in the early 60s and took me to games at a very early age,eventually getting my first season ticket in the cup final season,and subsequent years upto relegation in 1970,whereafter he left me to go to games alone,just attending the odd game here n there mostly due to his business commitments.

I remember him taking me like it was yesterday,we had some memorable times sharing the ups and downs together.Great days and irreplaceable memories.