Your Dad.

Guest Buggleskkelly

Last match you went with your Dad & do you remember it & do you love him for it. 

He wasn't a raving Wednesdayite , but he pointed me in the right direction. 

My Grandad tho .........:biggrin:

Yes Sheff Utd 1 vs 2/3 Preston, I cried and begged my mum to take me to get me a season ticket at Hillsborough so he wouldn't take me again! 

I definitely didn't love him for it , but thank him wholeheartedly for showing me how dark the other side is.

Went to a few matches in the 80s with my dad , when he was collecting for the Poppy Appeal. Got to sit with him on the pitchside.

Remember coming back to join him at pitchside , when a copper grabbed my shoulder " where do you think your going lad ".

Then half the North Stand erupted and hurled some right abuse at him. Copper didn't know where to put his face , and even my dad in his wheelchair after throttling him.

Well loved memories of the great loves in your life.

Didn't think my dad cared much for football or Wednesday but he came home one evening in January 1969 with two tickets for the Cup replay at Leeds, the night Brian Woodall scored a couple and Wednesday dumped Leeds 3-1.

Best seats in the house and a memorable evening.

l only found out after he died that my dad had himself played football to a decent standard and his dad, my grandad, had played at Hillsborough in the Clegg Shield Final in 1912. I have inherited his winners' medal, hall marked and engraved.

It's sad that we miss those conversations, especially between dads and lads, and then it is too late to pass on those memories and achievements.

I was there in Leeds that evening in 1969 with my Dad. What a night it was.  Leeds were the team to beat at that time, and boy did we beat them. Fantastic memory. 

The replies in this thread are heart breaking and heart warming ... I'm fortunate to have mine still with me and he's still a season ticket holder at the ripe old age of 75 and belligerently we have to park up near Forty Foot pub (because when his dad (my grandad) said he couldn't walk up the hill anymore he passed away shortly afterwards) ... I know it's stuck in my dads head (I'd happily pay to park at the bottom of the hill and wait an extra 30 minutes in traffic but he simply won't have it) ... I simply love having my dad and son with me at games ... Its also the common bond between them (my (young) teenage sons got a bit of a moody on this season because I take my dads mate (also in his 70s) with us and he's irked as its intruded on his family triumvarIte ) .. I don't mind I get to games earlier and can have a couple of beers ... At the end of the day that Father/Son football bond is so special ... WAWAW

Stick your Premier League, your sponsorships and your UEFA Champions League, this is definitely what football's all about. I'm sure there's any number of other stories similar in this thread - still trawling through - but this is cracking to read.

My dad and my uncle used to take me regularly from me being 4 years old

My uncle stopped going in the late sixties, so my dad gave up too

I remember going to the second friendly against Santos with them, not sure if that was the last time they took me or not

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Dad was a regular for donkeys and I used to go with him when on leave. First match together when I was a nipper was 63 versus Blackburn. Last one was the play-off at Cardiff. We bumped into Big Ron on the way out. He would be chuffed to see how we are doing now.

1233.JPG

My Dad (who was Polish) wasn't bothered about watching live football and only ever went to one game with me. Took him in the North Stand to see a league cup game v Man City c 1977 and we drew 1-1. He seemed to enjoy it though.

My dad's not reyt bothered about football, nominally a Newcastle fan but not overly fussed. First and last Wednesday game I saw with him was Watford at home, 27th November 2012. Was my 15th birthday and he drove me there and back for a treat, one of the only times I've been in the North Stand. We lost 4-1, a promising player by the name of Fernando Forestieri tore us to shreds and I was absolutely f*cking livid, especially with Jay Bothroyd who I screamed abuse at after full time, only time I've ever really let rip at one of our players in the ground.

Happy memories :duntmatter:

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

Brilliant thread, Owlstalk at its best. My dad took me to my first match, a 0-0 draw with Blackpool, one of Tony Kay's last games. My brother took him to his last game v Kaiserslautern, but my last game with him was a defeat to Norwich in our first season back in the first division. However, we did see some great games together, beating Chelsea 6-1, and celebrating promotion from the third against Carlisle. He wasn't introduced to Wednesday by his dad but by his brother in law's brother - they used to walk 4 miles each way to stand on the Lepp and his greatest memory was beating Arsenal in the quarter final of 1935 in front of 66,000. He passed away in 2005 at the beginning of the first season up after Cardiff.

My dad doesn't get to many games now, but at Cardiff I was sat between my dad and my son all going ballistic when that FF header hit the net! 

Great moment!!

love it circle of life -envy you mate 

unfortunately my dad passed before he could sit with my sons but he'll be up there shaking his head and saying the opposition are going to score any minute 

Guest Buggleskkelly

Thanks for contributing to this Thread. It's been a honor to read your replies. God bless my Dad. 

But. 

I have to give a big shout out to my Grandma , born in Tideswell , & a ardent OWL. She listened to Radio Sheffield every Saturday afternoon, knowing that I was at the match 70's 80's. She loved it. 

Ps. 

What was the blokes name on Radio Sheffield at that time , cos me Grandma loved him !

Hey kids

leave that pop alone.