Your Dad.

Guest Buggleskkelly

March 1997 drew 2-2 against Leeds. Had a headache when he went home that night, couple of days later taken into hospital where he had a massive stroke, passed away 7th April. Can't believe its now just over 20 years ago. Loved him for many reasons, but yes Im glad he made me a Wednesdayite, like him, his Dad, his Grandad and now his 2 and half year old  granddaughter. Still miss him everyday but never so much as that day at the Millenium 2005, a great day, but for me missing one thing, my Dad. Only cried over football twice, once as a heartbroken 13 year old (hid my tears from my Dad, Uncle  and cousin) coming back in the car from our semi Final defeat to Brighton and openly that day at Cardiff, cus my Dad wasn't with me to enjoy it too. Like I will be, he was WTID!

Moving Story fellow Owl !

My dad never liked football.His brother my uncle took me to my 1st game & I was hooked.Got 3 boys myself now & naturally they are owls.My nephews grand mother bought him a pig shirt a few years ago obviously I went mad brought him to the church baptised him with the shirt & now he's a season ticket holder.

My Dad isn't an Owl, but he was the first one to take me to Hillsborough back in the 90s. These days he lives near Brighton so we've been to the Amex twice - in 2015 and for the second leg of the playoff final last year... I like going to see the Owls with my Dad!

Also sorry we didn't go earlier this season, it's basically our fault Wednesday lost

Newcastle at home the other week. It would have been the Cardiff game but he had booked a weekend away in London for the tall ships. He will be there next Saturday. Had a bit of a scare this season but he's better now. It would be nice if I could enjoy watching us in the Premier League with him and my lad. My daughter went on Friday and even though she is only 8 years old she's as bright as a button. Her words as she entered the stadium were "Its beautiful and cool". She wants a season ticket now.

In 1966, as a very young lad I stood with my Dad in section C11 of Wembley Stadium for the FA Cup Final.  I couldn't see anything as I was so small. When Everton's third goal went in, a tear trickled down my Dad's cheek. It was to be the only time I ever saw him shed a tear. in that moment I realised just what a seriously big deal supporting Wednesday was. I was in for the long haul. 

My last season ticket with my Dad was the season that ended with the Palace game and relegation, he was ill and missed a few games that season can't remember the last game we went to together. 

He's passed away now, he's left me with some special memories, Wembley trips in the 90's, trips to Anfield, Old Trafford (that game... 5 o'clock showed me his watch said we've won this, we all know what happened next) so many memories of games home and away. 

He stared taking me when I was about 8 had season tickets together for years, then both went to games but separately, then as he became unwell had last few seasons before he passed sitting together again. 

My daughters both come to games now, hope it ends up being as special for them as it is for me.

My Uncle took me, back in the mid 70's. He always told me my favourite song was, 'What a load of rubbish, what a load of rubbish.'

He died on the day we played Reading this season. Even though we were awful and it was a sad day. I had a little smile to myself thinking about my favourite song as a 5 year old and who took me.

Last match Fulham away this season, he likes his London away days, and loves a pint on Parsons Green, took him to Charlton a few years back, loved Greenwich but fancied a trip to the National Maritime Museum instead of the game which was a wise choice from recollection. Last home game was v Reading last season, a shocking 1-1 draw, "what you brought me to watch this rubbish for" I think he said. 

He'd rather watch Jeff when not golfing these days. 

The replies in this thread are heart breaking and heart warming ... I'm fortunate to have mine still with me and he's still a season ticket holder at the ripe old age of 75 and belligerently we have to park up near Forty Foot pub (because when his dad (my grandad) said he couldn't walk up the hill anymore he passed away shortly afterwards) ... I know it's stuck in my dads head (I'd happily pay to park at the bottom of the hill and wait an extra 30 minutes in traffic but he simply won't have it) ... I simply love having my dad and son with me at games ... Its also the common bond between them (my (young) teenage sons got a bit of a moody on this season because I take my dads mate (also in his 70s) with us and he's irked as its intruded on his family triumvarIte ) .. I don't mind I get to games earlier and can have a couple of beers ... At the end of the day that Father/Son football bond is so special ... WAWAW

Didn't think my dad cared much for football or Wednesday but he came home one evening in January 1969 with two tickets for the Cup replay at Leeds, the night Brian Woodall scored a couple and Wednesday dumped Leeds 3-1.

Best seats in the house and a memorable evening.

l only found out after he died that my dad had himself played football to a decent standard and his dad, my grandad, had played at Hillsborough in the Clegg Shield Final in 1912. I have inherited his winners' medal, hall marked and engraved.

It's sad that we miss those conversations, especially between dads and lads, and then it is too late to pass on those memories and achievements.

The replies in this thread are heart breaking and heart warming ... I'm fortunate to have mine still with me and he's still a season ticket holder at the ripe old age of 75 and belligerently we have to park up near Forty Foot pub (because when his dad (my grandad) said he couldn't walk up the hill anymore he passed away shortly afterwards) ... I know it's stuck in my dads head (I'd happily pay to park at the bottom of the hill and wait an extra 30 minutes in traffic but he simply won't have it) ... I simply love having my dad and son with me at games ... Its also the common bond between them (my (young) teenage sons got a bit of a moody on this season because I take my dads mate (also in his 70s) with us and he's irked as its intruded on his family triumvarIte ) .. I don't mind I get to games earlier and can have a couple of beers ... At the end of the day that Father/Son football bond is so special ... WAWAW

And in answer to OP it was Newcastle at home ... He missed the Cardiff game because I treat him to a 5* weekend away with my mum (who is ill and he cares for her) so he could have a break ... Daft old bugger was on the phone every 10 minutes wanting an update ... Love the cantankerous old git to bits 

My Dad has never really followed football and if anybody asks him who he supports, he'll say Celtic...and that's only because his best mate in the army supported them. He did, however, take me to my first game against Man Utd in '74. I started going regularly home and away with mates from school soon after that. I returned the favour by taking him to the last game of the 81/82 season (Norwich). I ran onto the pitch after the game and can still remember looking up at the kop and seeing him standing there, patiently waiting for me to stop playing silly beggars and make my way back up to him. :biggrin: