"Those magnificent passionate Geordie fans"

2 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Sometimes as a Wednesday supporter you have to take your hat off to another club with the following it has, it does seem rather desperate to try and find excuses for it. Clinging onto a couple of poor post war average attendances doesn't do much to change the current here and now. Their support since St James' was redeveloped has actually been quite remarkable. 

I think the fact that they've never been in the third tier of English football makes it quite difficult for them to average over 20k in that league :manager:

I've no idea what point you're trying to make re: the accents, it was crawling with Geordies. Newcastle is a city (around half the size of Sheffield) which completely revolves around the football club, more so than any other one club city in the country. For me, only Rangers and Celtic top them for their huge fanatical fanbase in the UK.

It's certainly true that Newcaslte have big reach, but this goes across the entire country. Since the Keegan management era they've been a very fashionable club. The trains from Kings Cross to Newcastle on matchday are always rammed with Newcastle fans and that's a positive. 

The point being I doubt they would have averaged 20k in the third division given they couldn't manage it when they were poor in the second.  It was a simple point. I'll try and make it clearer for you next time.

You've obviously been caught up in the Geordie nation mythology that gets postulated. I bet you think scousers are also the wittiest fans in the country. 

I would put Wednesday fans over the last 50 years, man city fans of the last 30 years before their wealth and the fans of Derby County as being just as loyal and passionate. Marked by quantity and quality.  

Just now, Wednesday since '77 said:

The point being I doubt they would have averaged 20k in the third division given they couldn't manage it when they were poor in the second.  It was a simple point. I'll try and make it clearer for you next time.

You've obviously been caught up in the Geordie nation mythology that gets postulated. I bet you think scousers are also the wittiest fans in the country. 

I would put Wednesday fans over the last 50 years, man city fans of the last 30 years before their wealth and the fans of Derby County as being just as loyal and passionate. Marked by quantity and quality.  

I'd put Villa up there as well..........................

Newcastle are a cracking club with a great set of fans, was wound up after running into a load of arrogant idiots banging on about how crap the championship was before the match but then afterwards I was chatting to a few sound lads on the tram. But I definitely think Villa have had the best following at Hillsborough this season noise wise, as well as numbers wise (though Newcastle should have been given the lower tier).