"Those magnificent passionate Geordie fans"

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Best atmosphere since Brighton in the playoffs

We need more of that for the run in

When our fans are on it, theres none better as we showed at Wembley 

Yep. 

Atmosphere was amazing yesterday. 

Hillsborough is a great ground when it's a "big" game and yesterday was certainly that. 

No problem with them. Good fans in my opinion. 

I've been in Newcastle when they've had a home game - the surrounding bars are all full of people in their colours too. Good to see. 

Couldn't hear them much yesterday - probably because the noise we made on the Kop had my ears ringing. 

3 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Any attempt to have a pop at Newcastle and their fans is completely tinpot. Massive club with top fans. 

Perhaps he was having a go at the likes of the bbc who constantly refer to them as being the best supporters in the country.  I don't think they've ever been in the third division and averaged 20k a season like Wednesday, Derby and the other sheffield club, but I do recall pre Kevin Keegan, under Ossie Ardiles, them regularly getting 16 000 when they were at the wrong end of the second division. Spoke with a few yesterday, who had travelled from Cumbria, Lancashire and North Yorkshire. They have a huge catchment area. I honestly didn't hear a north east accent all afternoon.  

From my position in the South I counted Twenty five Coaches in procession , preparing to pick up their support. This didn't include the ones who travelled by train and car.I understand they were only allowed 2,800 tickets, which leave approx 20 thousand Owls fans who, thnks to their side, were on song today. Sitting in the South, towards the Kop end, I frequently heard them, but they were, by and large, well outnumbered. And don't fall for the old myth that the South doesn't make a noise. Believe me, if there is something to cheer about, they make the noise.   

22 minutes ago, Wednesday since '77 said:

Perhaps he was having a go at the likes of the bbc who constantly refer to them as being the best supporters in the country.  I don't think they've ever been in the third division and averaged 20k a season like Wednesday, Derby and the other sheffield club, but I do recall pre Kevin Keegan, under Ossie Ardiles, them regularly getting 16 000 when they were at the wrong end of the second division. Spoke with a few yesterday, who had travelled from Cumbria, Lancashire and North Yorkshire. They have a huge catchment area. I honestly didn't hear a north east accent all afternoon.  

Sometimes as a Wednesday supporter you have to take your hat off to another club with the following it has, it does seem rather desperate to try and find excuses for it. Clinging onto a couple of poor post war average attendances doesn't do much to change the current here and now. Their support since St James' was redeveloped has actually been quite remarkable. 

I think the fact that they've never been in the third tier of English football makes it quite difficult for them to average over 20k in that league :manager:

I've no idea what point you're trying to make re: the accents, it was crawling with Geordies. Newcastle is a city (around half the size of Sheffield) which completely revolves around the football club, more so than any other one club city in the country. For me, only Rangers and Celtic top them for their huge fanatical fanbase in the UK.

It's certainly true that Newcaslte have big reach, but this goes across the entire country. Since the Keegan management era they've been a very fashionable club. The trains from Kings Cross to Newcastle on matchday are always rammed with Newcastle fans and that's a positive. 

6 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Think they were constantly signing until our goal. Was surprised how quiet they went after that though.

Helps massively that we pretty much drowned them out, which is why they sounded quiet.

Yes, they do make rude gestures a hell of a lot, don't they?:laugh:

You can't knock Newcastle fans, they are fanatical about their team. 

Plus they would sell out Gambia away, always travel well. 

Didnt really hear hear that much from them but we sit at far end of North, think it was more our fans drowned them out than them been quiet. 

To be honest, thats the quietest ive ever heard 'em.....It helped that Owls fans decided to step up to the mark, ..Anyone at Hillsborough if Owls fans are up for it are virtually f.ookin' redundant, but its the same at most grounds up and down the country.

If we could produce that sort of atmos, week in week out it would be worth points..but hardly any bugger does it, Newcastle don't..at home, we've all been up there, and its much the same as Hillsborough is for the most part...summatt has to happen.

17 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

I was sat below em. Believe me they weren't quiet. Made some fantastic noise until the 2nd goal went in. Best away support I have heard at Hillsborough this season. Depends where you were sat though I suppose.

You don't usually sit below the away fans though do you so it's not like for like comparison.

I sit on the halfway line every match and yesterday Newcastle were quiet.

Tho only away fans to make decent noise this season were Villa and Leeds.

39 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

Newcastle are a well supported club, turn up in numbers week in week out.

Pre Keegan they were getting less than 10,000 in the division we are now....they've had relative success since then (both recent relegations led to instant promotion)....They are probably the biggest city in the country with only 1 team so their support is nothing unexpected.

Guest thetallowl

What are the lyrics to the song from the kop yesterday, done to the tune 'if your not... bouncing...'

14 minutes ago, Ian said:

Pre Keegan they were getting less than 10,000 in the division we are now....they've had relative success since then (both recent relegations led to instant promotion)....They are probably the biggest city in the country with only 1 team so their support is nothing unexpected.

Footballs a different animal now mate...Crowds are up all over..You can't slate 50'000 turning up week on week....The litmus test is, being down here for a decade or more, not the comfort of parachute payments that virtually guarantee a return in a couple of years...Wednesday missed out on that, So I reckon our crowds hold up against any bloody team that has been through that dross....

I find it a bit laughable that some Geordies are chattin' crap about how bad the Championship is, an' they can't wait to get back...To get thrashed by Spurs and Chelsea?...Off you go...see you soon

Edited by asteener1867

17 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

I was sat below em. Believe me they weren't quiet. Made some fantastic noise until the 2nd goal went in. Best away support I have heard at Hillsborough this season. Depends where you were sat though I suppose.

I was sat in the South in line with the penalty area and I agree with the above, they were very noisy and only went quiet when we scored our 2nd. They helped contribute to a cracking atmosphere 

Edited by Bramhall Owl

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

We were there when Gary Shelton's overhead kick went in...how many Newcastle fans were there?

Attendance that day was 36,700 ish. I was there but I don't know many we took. The Lees' end wasn't very big back then.

19 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

Attendance that day was 36,700 ish. I was there but I don't know many we took. The Lees' end wasn't very big back then.

I went to that....and I would guess the attendance was a few less than that mate...dunno without checking though....