50 years ago today - FA Cup Heartache for Wednesday

After meeting Chelsea in the Semi Final in 1966. Wednesday were drawn away to Chelsea in the 6th Round in 1966-7.  Anyone go to this? Any memories?

Is that Don Megson with his head in his hands - if an image sums up supporting Wednesday that does ;-)

Chelsea-SheffieldWednesday-08.04.67-l_2_

apr-04-1967-fa-cup-sixth-round-chelsea-v

dm_zps88185dd7.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

Yep, I was there.... remember feeling that we actually expected a return to Wembley. Also remember that when we thought we'd scored a mates brand new false teeth came out (he'd had 'em kicked out playing footy) and landed on a bald blokes head... he quickly grabbed 'em and left teeth marks on his crown.

I was there. I remember travelling down on the coach with some mates and I felt pretty awful that day. I felt even worse after the game. It was a real gut wrencher. Thinking that we had got a replay then let in a sloppy goal in the last minute. One of many disappointments that were to lay ahead.

I was there along with 18,000 other Wednesdayites.  Last minute scuffed winner.  The scorer...Baldwin i think....Said he aimed for other corner.  Springett maybe shud av saved it. I was behind the goal.  Remember loads of big planes flying low over from Heathrow.  Still a novelty in 1967.  

3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

After meeting Chelsea in the Semi Final in 1966. Wednesday were drawn away to Chelsea in the 6th Round in 1966-7.  Anyone go to this? Any memories?

Is that Don Megson with his head in his hands - if an image sums up supporting Wednesday that does ;-)

Chelsea-SheffieldWednesday-08.04.67-l_2_

apr-04-1967-fa-cup-sixth-round-chelsea-v

dm_zps88185dd7.jpg

Yep I was at this game and i seem to remember a gig hump in the pitch ball hit it and bobbled over Springett

Yes a fluke of a goal was a real sickener as it came deep into an inordinate length of injury time. Sticks out in my mind for one of our fans who was quite seriously injured falling down the tube escalater. I don't recall any follow up news on this, anyone recall how he got on ? I do recall that we took 21K according to The Star !  

Nothing to add to all the above!! Just the same experience of feeling totally robbed by a bobbling mishit that my boyhood hero couldn't quite keep out.

Also memories of what a dump Stamford Bridge was...dog track 'n'all

I'd just started going to home games in 67 but too young for this. Remember my dad and uncles going and having a moan (especially after the 66 disappointment). Great photos and posts though - thanks. It's good to know some Owlstalkers have been going longer than me. My first big memory of Chelsea cup disappointments was the 1.2 home defeat in the 5th round in the early 70s. Went to Stamford Bridge a few times before redevelopment and it was a real dump. Remember their supporters being more concerned with us than what was happening in the pitch. 

went on billies coaches from mexboro ,was my 1st visit to London and a day that will live me forever .the result was a crushing disappointment but the Saturday night in soho after the game  was a real eye opener for a 14 year going round the with the group of older blokes who looked after me that day .......we didn't have many muck cinema's in mexboro and going down into a seedy basement was a great excitement for us all  ,an excitement that soon disappeared when the grainy black and white  film came on .some old dear from the 1930s with her fanny blanked out in  her garden doing some stretching exercises holding a beachball ....we stopped for about 5 minutes and asked for our money back which they wernt prepared to refund and when a few of the blokes kicked off two well dressed Ronnie and reggie lookalikes appeared we put it down to experience and beat a hasty retreat ....

Went down on the Eckington SWFC supporters club coach. Big crowd very open ground like a sort of running track around it I seem to remember and a long way from the pitch. Seem to remember thousands of Wednesdayites went down. We had beaten them in the semi on the way to Wembley in 66 so hopes were high. Poor game, rubbish goal to give away. Long journey home in those days, miserable for ages afterwards as I felt sure we would get back to Wembley and win this time. Only good thing about the return journey was  the 60's music on a dodgy  coach radio when it worked. Still looking forward to going back to Stamfird Brudge play Chelsea in the premier league next season !!!! Optimism an essential ingredient of the Wednesdayite DNA ! UTO

we were stood underneath that old wooden  stand that was built on stilts down near the corner flag and when Chelsea scored I swear it swayed about ......like nev said earlier we took 21k which is an unbelievable amount of support ..think the original allocation was 18k and we then got another 3k which we sold on the sunday morning which is when I got my ticket having queued for hours before the old ticket office under the south stand  opened at 10am .no segregation In those days and seem to recall a lot of fighting in the shed end .......