Poll: Man of the Match vs Rotherham United...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Rotherham United  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Rotherham United?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Reach
    • Wallace
    • Bannan
    • Jones
    • Rhodes
    • Hooper
    • Fletcher
    • Semedo
    • Nuhiu
    • Winnall

Westwood   7   Did what was needed in the usual comforting way

Hunt   7   Decent game , playing much better at the moment

Lees   6   OK nothing more

Loovens   5   Doesn't command the box , too lethargic ,  we look so vulnerable at set pieces

Reach   6   Put a shift in , but far too many negative backward passes

Jones   4    offers nothing for me

Bannan   7   not at his best by any means but thought he was decent

Wallace   6   usual stuff , some decent quality on the ball but very in and out

Hooper   6    Quiet , gets an extra point for being involved in the goals , will be better for the game time

Rhodes   6    Did OK ish .............needs a goal

Fletcher   8   Two good finishes and lead the line well

I`m not kidding myself , we won which is the main thing , but we are still a long way off the form needed for promotion.

CC still frustrates with selection ,  his refusal to pick Mcmanaman and Buckley off the back of ignoring Abdi for large parts of the season is farcical IMHO , and last nights selection / formation wasn't a masterplan in my eyes......more like desperation.

Wish I could be more positive but I am far from convinced the season will end in glory....here`s hoping I am way off the mark.

Mom 8 for fletch, was shocked at his dip in form but hopefully 2 great finishes will boost him

7 bannan, hunt (big credit for the rarity of getting it in a decent area of the box for us)

5-6 the rest in a familiar performance this season where we took our few chances well, a poor side wasted theirs, bit of luck, dull uninspiring performance

4-3-1-2/4-3-3 may suit fessi in free role behind rhodes with either fletch or hooper, as we play with no width in midfield anyway and solely rely on fb's for crosses.

Or macca rhodes fessi as a more mobile front 3 for away

Really glad we won. Desperate times if we couldn't beat that shower.

However, there was very little football played. Our tactics seemed to be hit it high and hope for knockdowns or win a throw further up the pitch. It was turgid. Bannan, for all his faults, tried very hard to drive forward with the ball. In fact there was only him and Reach(first half) who seemed to want to carry it forward.

Fletcher was obviously MOM for the two finishes and his work rate. The only other standout for me was Westwood who commanded his area very effectively against a team who just loaded the box.

Also, you've got to feel sorry for Jordan Rhodes. The lad is trying so hard to work for the team and his movement is good but we aren't set up to get him in to goalscoring positions. He ran himself into the ground and only had the one half chance which he headed straight at the keeper. Hopefully when Hooper and Fernando are back we'll have that link between midfield and attack back and he will benefit.

Wasn't happy when we brought on Semedo either. We were crying out for some pace to stretch the game.

A really frustrating game to watch.

Westwood 7 - Not much to do

Hunt 7 Good going forward 

Loovens 6 - OK BUT rotherham still created some good chances

Lees 6.5 - OK BUT rotherham still created some good chances

Reach 6 - good outlet down the left but better final ball required

Wallace 6 - went missing too often

Bannan 6 - terrible passing early on...improved

Jones 5 - No creativity

Hooper 6 - Some decent touches and link up

Fletcher 7.5 - Decent finishes

Rhodes 6. - good link-up play, worked hard 

Subs

Semedo 4 - out of his depth at this level I'm afraid

Nuhiu 6 - was himself

Result was all important.  Not a great performance in truth.  Still lacked creativity and Rotherham created some good chances that better teams would have finished.

5 hours ago, benni8 said:

Hooper 5.5 - largely anonymous, not suited to midfield role

Christ Alive...

Some people..

Involved in both goals but yet "largely anonymous"

What absolute and utter utter nonsense

'Involved in both goals' as in playing a simple one touch lay-off that any professional footballer would expect to make. Which then several touches of the ball later, at least one of which for both goals was by a Rotherham player, resulted in a goal. Then get hooked after an hour. Well, outstanding, 9 out of 10 then.

Meanwhile for the rest of the match we struggled to string three passes together in the opposition half against the worst team in the league. Partly because apart from some of Fletcher's flick-ons there was no effective link up play between Jordan Rhodes and our two deep-lying midfielders.

Not Hooper's fault. He's a striker who is best at playing on the last shoulder of the defence trying his best to play a different role for the team because of an injury crisis. But you're being wilfully blind if you think he put in an above average performance for a number 10 / attacking midfielder.

3 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Really glad we won. Desperate times if we couldn't beat that shower.

However, there was very little football played. Our tactics seemed to be hit it high and hope for knockdowns or win a throw further up the pitch. It was turgid. Bannan, for all his faults, tried very hard to drive forward with the ball. In fact there was only him and Reach(first half) who seemed to want to carry it forward.

Fletcher was obviously MOM for the two finishes and his work rate. The only other standout for me was Westwood who commanded his area very effectively against a team who just loaded the box.

Also, you've got to feel sorry for Jordan Rhodes. The lad is trying so hard to work for the team and his movement is good but we aren't set up to get him in to goalscoring positions. He ran himself into the ground and only had the one half chance which he headed straight at the keeper. Hopefully when Hooper and Fernando are back we'll have that link between midfield and attack back and he will benefit.

Wasn't happy when we brought on Semedo either. We were crying out for some pace to stretch the game.

A really frustrating game to watch.

We haven't got much real pace without Joao sadly. Fessi's not bad I suppose.

Having to bring Semi on to me shows how much of a shame it is that McGugan is out of the picture. He may not be good enough to hold a regular place in the side, he may be a "problem" but he does have ability - look at the 3-2 at Rotherham under Gray and you'll see the balls he knocked into the box, they were outstanding. He would be a useful sub at the very least - especially when as CC says we've run out of fish. At least McGugan is more piscine than mollusc. 

Bannan worked really hard last night,put a proper shift in and my MOM,with Fletch and Reach both close and Hunt also.

Thought we cantered through the game saving a bit for saturday,and contolled it for long spells.

Players will be jaded,its been a long season,one or two obviuosly will have niggles as well,so we didnt go out all guns blazing,but looked very measured.

Still not a massive fan of Jones,thought he was largely annonymous on the night,like a few others,would like to see Mcgugan on the bench,just think hes got the spark we lack at times.

Westwood - 7 - Only had the most straight forward of saves to make, but generally did well.

Hunt - 7.5 - Thought he played well last night. Good attacking threat. Great ball for the 2nd goal.

Loovens - 7 - Steady.

Lees - 7 - Headed the ball well. But had little to come up against.

Reach - 7.5 - Another good display. Defended well, but looked decent going forward.

Jones - 7.5 - Played the anchor role well. Went about his business quietly but effectively,

Bannan - 7.5 - Better display from Bannan, too many hopeful balls early on, but dictated the tempo at times.

Wallace - 7 - Did well in midfield in the 1st half. Provided decent link up with Hooper.

Hooper  - 7.5 - So pleased to see him back. No coincidence, we played a lot less long hopeful balls last night. Finds space and links play brilliantly.

Fletcher - 8 - Very good performance. Should've been playing far more often. Scandalous the lack of football he's had. Showed his class last night with two clinical finishes.

Rhodes - 6 - Despite it been a steady, solid display, Rhodes disappointed again. When FF is back fit, Hooper back in the side and Fletcher finding form, he's going to find himself on the bench unless he finds some form quickly.

A steady, workmanlike performance, against a woeful side. We had a little bit of luck at times, but I always felt we had more gears if need be, especially in the 2nd half. Defended well, and at times, the fluidity of last season threatened to show through. Hopefully, this isn't another false dawn, and it's more of a steady turn around. 

Fletcher & Hooper the main positives. Both added to our attacking threat. My worry is Rhodes. Yet another game he doesn't have a kick. 

Overall, nothing to get majorly excited about, but poor runs of form often need a solid victory to instigate a change around. Fingers crossed this victory was it.

5 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Is that the same half we went in 2-0 up. 

Correct. We were still second best in general footballing terms though. Look, it was all about the win, but don't pretend we 'dominated from start to finish' as it's complete testicles.