Anyone that has ever slated Hooper...

3 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

To the people who are saying he is crap or did not play well.

Do you not realise Hooper is important because he drifts into space, which a)allows our midfield and centre backs an option of a pass to feet b)whilst then leaving space for other players.

He also has a good first touch but as stated whilst he was injured Hooper knows what he is going to do with the ball and what is around him before he even receives it. 

Hooper is the cog that allows players like Wallace and Bannan to play better. They have an option of a one two all of a sudden.

SO RIGHT, He gives them the option of playing the ball in to feet instead of lumping it up to whoever is our main striker

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

SO RIGHT, He gives them the option of playing the ball in to feet instead of lumping it up to whoever is our main striker

Exactly, this was the most noticable difference, Lees, Bannan Jones always had the option to play into feet.

I don't think there is any doubt that Hooper is a clever and skilful footballer.

The issue with him is how you get him involved in the link up play and also get him  in the penalty box to score goals. Once he comes deep he struggles to get back into the box

Can't imagine we will play him plus two other strikers against Newcastle and if we pick him we will need him to be a goal threat 

It did show that Carlos is right when he says that Hooper Lee and FF are our link players and without those 3 we struggle to play any football 

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Exactly, this was the most noticable difference, Lees, Bannan Jones always had the option to play into feet.

My only issue with last night is that when Hooper plays up top, he naturally drops into that gap to receive the ball to feet and drags a central defender.  The problem last night was that he was being picked up by a defensive midfielder.  Saying that, he still influenced the game.  Up top on Saturday, preferably with Rhodes, but I think he could do with a rest and with Fletcher scoring 2 then it makes sense to pick Fletcher.

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, spike1867 said:

My only issue with last night is that when Hooper plays up top, he naturally drops into that gap to receive the ball to feet and drags a central defender.  The problem last night was that he was being picked up by a defensive midfielder.  Saying that, he still influenced the game.  Up top on Saturday, preferably with Rhodes, but I think he could do with a rest and with Fletcher scoring 2 then it makes sense to pick Fletcher.

When Hooper makes the space by dropping, we need some pace to exploit the space. So I know people disagree but for me it is always FF and Hooper upfront.

When was the last time we saw strikers break like they did away at Brighton in the playoffs. They also linked up very well in the goal away at Fulham.

If he gave them the option to play it to feet why did he touch the ball so infrequently? He was effectively the extra man in midfield, at the centre of our 5, against their 4, so everything should have been going through him.

I rate Hooper's finishing and think he's a dangerous centre forward when in the opposition box, but still have fresh memories of the ball bouncing off him every time the midfield passed it to him in the play-off final.

Would be surprised if he starts against Newcastle. His main role for the run-in will be to replace Rhodes for the last 10-20 minutes as Rhodes starts to tire.

Good to have him back, we need all we can get right now. He had some ok touches, wasn't really instrumental in anything, and the same can be said of Rhodes. Fletch did well to get the goals, and the reasoning to rest Winnall seems valid.

So quite where this leaves us I'm not sure.

Fletch and Winnall should probably be in possession of the shirts. I still trust Rhodes to hit the target more than either of them tho. and Hooper's link up is good to have. But if we have Hooper playing in the hole and 2 ahead of him, then we lose the wide midfielders and the fullbacks have to pick up that work, meaning better (and faster) teams will have an easy time punishing us on the counter.

With last night's system we almost end up as a 343 at times, with Jones dropping deep, and we don't look particularly comfortable or creative in that system yet. Not sure 6 games to go is the time to be trying a 'square pegs in round holes' version of the formation.

54 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

If he gave them the option to play it to feet why did he touch the ball so infrequently? He was effectively the extra man in midfield, at the centre of our 5, against their 4, so everything should have been going through him.

I rate Hooper's finishing and think he's a dangerous centre forward when in the opposition box, but still have fresh memories of the ball bouncing off him every time the midfield passed it to him in the play-off final.

Would be surprised if he starts against Newcastle. His main role for the run-in will be to replace Rhodes for the last 10-20 minutes as Rhodes starts to tire.

We played a 4-4-2 diamond, so we only had 4 in midfield, not 5. I've already said elsewhere, that Hooper links the play better from up top.  There, he is dropping into the space between the oppositions midfield and defence.  Last night, he was in among the defensive mids, which he doesn't have the feet for.

I think Hooper's first half performance shows why this thread is a borderline insult in terms of when to praise players. He's been absolutely phenomenal for the first 45 today, but me just saying that doesn't do it justice because he was supposedly phenomenal midweek, but the increase in 'goodness' from midweek is insane.

The only way I can accurately portray this improvement after all the earlier praising in this thread is by stripping off naked and running down West Street screaming "Hooper is amazing".

While I do that, everyone can use the superlatives he now deserves in this thread

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I think Hooper's first half performance shows why this thread is a borderline insult in terms of when to praise players. He's been absolutely phenomenal for the first 45 today, but me just saying that doesn't do it justice because he was supposedly phenomenal midweek, but the increase in 'goodness' from midweek is insane.

The only way I can accurately portray this improvement after all the earlier praising in this thread is by stripping off naked and running down West Street screaming "Hooper is amazing".

While I do that, everyone can use the superlatives he now deserves in this thread

Yeah he's been absolutely superb. We look a completely different team with him in the lineup

His touches, Strenght and runs are fantastic!! Any young lad who isn't blessed with pace could learn a lot from watching Hooper!

He is to us what Sheringhan was to Man U! A very intelligent player who is aware of his surroundings and knows what he is going to do with the ball before he gets it. Quality player!

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

The issue is that threads like these come about in retaliation to the ridiculously overly-critical comments that players (and coaches, hint hint) are receiving when not performing at the top of their games. When people think someone is being hard done by they have a tendency to jump at any opportunity to show how wrong the other side were, even if it might be a bit premature.

A sense of perspective is needed from both sides of the argument. Though to be fair, a football forum isn't traditionally the best place for reasoned debate while emotions are running high.