Carlos interview

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Carlos was an improvement on Gray. 99% of our fan base probably had never heard of Carlos until he came. Equally there are others out there that are better but again 99% won't be aware of them. That's down to the club to find them with their contacts. Preferably one that can create chances and has the nous to sign quality centre half. Maybe also one that works on attacking and defending set pieces.

But is Carlos an improvement on Gray? I think that if you're not parachute then the Gray/Karanka approach is the way to do it. It's not about entertainment, it's about results. Old Gray got us six places higher up the league than we should have been, based on players/wages. What Gray lacked was quality players, especially up front. He'd got the defensive part of the performances spot on. And remember that the pitch was shocking in those days and unsuited to passing football. I wish we'd stuck with him.

6 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But is Carlos an improvement on Gray? I think that if you're not parachute then the Gray/Karanka approach is the way to do it. It's not about entertainment, it's about results. Old Gray got us six places higher up the league than we should have been, based on players/wages. What Gray lacked was quality players, especially up front. He'd got the defensive part of the performances spot on. And remember that the pitch was shocking in those days and unsuited to passing football. I wish we'd stuck with him.

It's a fair point and he got some good results but the home form was shocking. Carlos won't match Grays away record this season though.

Edited by Ronnie Starling

I don't even listen to his post match interviews anymore as I think they insult the intelligence of our fans. When we lose he talks as if we've done well and we're painfully unlucky to lose, whilst also reassuring us that team spirit is great ...

Give over Carlos, the fans aren't blind. He's out of his depth and struggling to cope. Reminds me of Mr Wenger.

Edited by Ballmeist
Typo

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

It's a fair point and he got some good results but the home form was shocking. Carlos won't match Grays away record this season though.

Carlos last season was better than Gray, or at least the performances were. The difference in quality of players and pitch mean that it's difficult to make comparisons. I just think that the type of football Gray understands is perhaps better for a club without ex- PL players and parachute cash, even if the football ain't great.

4 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

And my opinion is that a large section of sheffield football fans are simply a bunch of miserable gobshites.

Just my opinion..and i dont throw the toys out of the pram if people disagree with me.

Sorry for not joining the owlstalk concensus.

Yet you slate every single Wednesday fan who dares to question but that is becoming weak now most people are seeing through him but keep up your good work of slagging fellow Wednesday players off constantly. 

5 hours ago, handworth52 said:

Don't agree that's not a mid table midfield it's bottom 6 .rest of team is playoff standard definitely not our midfield like I've said before no manager could get that lot to do what they ain't capable of . Huge mistake in January not getting that certain midfielder from barnsley on cheap .Carlos is going to send us backwards big time huge squad all on long term lucrative deals what we are stuck with ,a new manager won't be able to fetch many in .won't make any difference if he goes now or not Carlos has already left us in a mess with the disastrous transfer policy .only thing I would do if u was manager is get mcgugan in place of the hopeless bannan and get players to push forward a lot more nothing to lose is there now.

do you really think carlos as any say on a players contract ?........I can go with carlos wants this player or that but if you think he negotiates the players contract , the length of it and the wages then I think your way off beam .......sorry but if we are overloaded with high earners on long contracts we should be looking at the bloke who gave them the contracts not his monkey ......the key is in the job description " head coach" not manager .

In Carlos' defence, this is the first properly bad spell we've had in getting on for 100 games under his management, AND it is coinciding with the worst injury situation we've had at the club in that time. 

You cant just always judge only on the last 6 games.. the fact that he has a win ratio in the mid 40% range shows that the guy knows how to manage a football club. In our dark days we seemed to agree that managers should be given time to get through a bad spell, does that not apply now we've spent some money? You will struggle to find a manager who has not gone through a similar spell.

11 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

John Sheridan was a great passer of the ball, had vision, and scored goals. But he was also slow, couldn't tackle and was poor in the air. Had John had those additional attributes he'd never have been a Wednesday player. He'd have been at Old Trafford or Anfield. It's unlikely that we'll ever have players of all-round ability, especially at this level, and that's why we had Carlton in there to do the things which John couldn't do. In other words, we need balance.

Bannan and Lee aren't technically bad players, but they're lightweight. A fact exploited by Monk at Hillsborough in the autumn when he picked the biggest midfield known to man. He also doubled up down the flanks, a key area of our success last season, so you could say that the writing was already on the wall after the defeat to Leeds. Carlos made a big miscalculation when he believed he could drop Hutch into defence permanently. It left us lightweight in midfield and meant that we didn't sign another CB.

Teams were never going to give us the licence to play as we did last season, and Carlos is at a loss this season how to respond. Newcastle have better all-round players than us, so maybe he'd have more joy there trying to play last season's football this season, but for a non-parachute club it's more important to be efficient, rock-solid in defence, and pragmatic. It's not that Carlos hasn't correctly identified that, it's just that he's not good at it. Alas, the Karanka/Gray approach isn't his thing.

totally spot on assessment on how we are getting over powered

6 hours ago, robswfc said:

In Carlos' defence, this is the first properly bad spell we've had in getting on for 100 games under his management, AND it is coinciding with the worst injury situation we've had at the club in that time. 

You cant just always judge only on the last 6 games.. the fact that he has a win ratio in the mid 40% range shows that the guy knows how to manage a football club. In our dark days we seemed to agree that managers should be given time to get through a bad spell, does that not apply now we've spent some money? You will struggle to find a manager who has not gone through a similar spell.

It is a good and fair point. He has had to contend with injuries to our best players but all these players were here last season. This just shows that our recruitment whether it's down to Carlos or the the Club has been absolutely terrible. 

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

do you really think carlos as any say on a players contract ?........I can go with carlos wants this player or that but if you think he negotiates the players contract , the length of it and the wages then I think your way off beam .......sorry but if we are overloaded with high earners on long contracts we should be looking at the bloke who gave them the contracts not his monkey ......the key is in the job description " head coach" not manager .

ive said many times on here than chansiri needed a proper football person in someone like howard Wilkinson etc to advise , anyone knows that say giving loovens a 3 year deal when he has only had 1 year deals in last few years was a bad move considering his age and his injury record over last few years. also nuhiu 3 year deal say no more. then to give a premier league has been in fletcher a 4 year deal on 35k a week was madness. 2 years maybe. adam reach clearly aint worth 5 million but every club can make mistakes but we have made far far too many that's the problem . carlos says he has had full control of transfers since around jan 2016 , so we can only let him off with the signings of lachman mcgugan etc who he didn't want. to me we have just about wasted 2 years of a once in a lifetime investment which wont be allowed next season as we will have to be much more careful. derby went mad with money last 2-3 years but this season they have had to cut back with spending letting the likes of Kendrick leave etc. same will happen to us next season some players will have to leave to allow others in,but we are stuck with a long list of players who aint worth there contacts.

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

ive said many times on here than chansiri needed a proper football person in someone like howard Wilkinson etc to advise , anyone knows that say giving loovens a 3 year deal when he has only had 1 year deals in last few years was a bad move considering his age and his injury record over last few years. also nuhiu 3 year deal say no more. then to give a premier league has been in fletcher a 4 year deal on 35k a week was madness. 2 years maybe. adam reach clearly aint worth 5 million but every club can make mistakes but we have made far far too many that's the problem . carlos says he has had full control of transfers since around jan 2016 , so we can only let him off with the signings of lachman mcgugan etc who he didn't want. to me we have just about wasted 2 years of a once in a lifetime investment which wont be allowed next season as we will have to be much more careful. derby went mad with money last 2-3 years but this season they have had to cut back with spending letting the likes of Kendrick leave etc. same will happen to us next season some players will have to leave to allow others in,but we are stuck with a long list of players who aint worth there contacts.

Lots of good points there

6 hours ago, robswfc said:

A bad spell? This spell was on the cards after about 3 games into the season. The fact is many wins this season have merely been papering over the cracks including a lot of good fortune and luck in some matches. Now that has obviously appeared to have dried up, the results are coinciding with the standard below average performances. It has been awful all season barring the odd game. Most teams that are challenging promotion, the fans can usually count on one hand the amount of bad games/performances. Ours is the total opposite and quite frankly that shows how poor CC has done his job.

Edited by Coyt