March 28th 1962- Barcelona away!

28th March 1962 - The ultimate away day - has anyone ever met anyone who was there?

On this day 55 years ago a- brave show by Wednesday at the Camp Nou losing 2-0 to @FCBarcelona in the Fairs Cup (after a 3-2 win Hillsborough).

f4a77c97f88b36b95a5cfb5516fb6631_zpscjq0

Barcelona_zpsk6jyrvw1.jpg

s-l1600_zpskxnfzbwl.jpg

bar_zpsdtjubzh5.jpg

Edited by Mickjj

The good old Inter Cities Fairs Cup. Had some memorable nights at a packed Hillsborough in that competition. Didn't it eventually morph into the Europa League?

it was quite a novelty seeing players with foreign names from far off places in those days. All the English Leagues were full of Smiths, Hills, Browns and Blenkinsops apart from the odd McTavish. How times change.

I met a Wednesday director who was at the game. He showed me the programme and after match menu card but he wouldn't sell.  The item above is just a poster I think.

I was at the home game.  Wasn't a big deal then. We were a big club. They were very big but not mega. Real Madrid were the mega club then. 

19 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I met a Wednesday director who was at the game. He showed me the programme and after match menu card but he wouldn't sell.  The item above is just a poster I think.

I was at the home game.  Wasn't a big deal then. We were a big club. They were very big but not mega. Real Madrid were the mega club then. 

Yes this is the programme - currently for sale on internet for £749.00 !

sheffield2_zpsiwcvqxf2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Went to the home leg. Can't imagine more than a privileged handful went to Barcelona. A holiday in Bournemouth was like going to the other side of the world in those days.

George Orwell (and a few South Yorkshire lads)  managed it in 1936 ;-)

14364694730_caa7393304_b_zpsjsk0grol.jpe

There would be no Barcalona as we know it these days if it not for an ex Wednesday player :-

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/the-irishman-who-saved-fc-barca-7134741.html

With regards another book about Wednesday, the club historian Jason Dickinson is releasing another book to co-incide with our 150th Birthday which can be pre-ordered here for £20 which he says is cheap and doesn't know how they can sell it at that price as he thinks it will retail around £30 when it comes out :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheffield-Wednesday-Official-Jason-Dickinson/dp/1445619539/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490705145&sr=1-2&keywords=Sheffield+Wednesday

Guest Dusty Curtains

I picked up a couple of press photos from the second leg a few weeks ago.

This is one of Springett, Megson and Gensana is a gem...

IMG_2430.JPG

Epic photos ....

Remember this so well as a 10 year old.

Had a replica shirt from a store on the moor ... Suggs.

The trendiest players always had a white hoop at the top

of their socks. with pink Elastoplast type tape holding the shin pads at the bottom.

We always tried to emulate this look..

How good does Swannie look with his shorts up his ass

and his socks no where near his knees ... made his long legs

look even longer.

How good does Meggie look just behind Ron Springett ...

probably the first and last time he ever punched the ball,

as he used to catch everything.

It must have been wet that night in Barca as he is wearing gloves.

Never wore them when dry.

Happy days ....

I think that away Barcelona programme is the rarest/most expensive Wednesday programme.  I heard or read somewhere that this is because only a few were printed for the clubs/directors/officials. Don't know why that would be bit I'd like to find one!!