4 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

:biggrin: 

You're the second poster to say that. Did they build the stand around the dressing rooms or should the question be re-phrased to ask why are the dressing rooms, and therefore the tunnel, not central to the stand?

Probably due to the original planning, whereby the 'under stand  area is of a naturally limited area. If you go behind the stand, you will notice that the 'Players' Entrance' is far from being in the centre of the stand.. Some clubs, notably the Old Wembley Stadium, and the current Old Trafford are a) behind the goal and b) from the corner. I also believe that Villa park enter from the corner, but am probably wrong.

It reverts back, I suppose, when the players were far from being a club's biggest assets, and when maximum wages were capped at £20 per week in the '50s & earlier '60s.

43 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Probably due to the original planning

Good grief. lol

Why did they plan it that way then? 

Great pic. A very funny part of our heritage. UTO.

Can't remember one being chucked at a player though? Just thrown on to show displeasure of the teams performance, usually after every home game late 60s early 70s

Still got mine

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've come across this thread as I'm currently researching and writing a book on the darkest times - 1973-76. Would love to hear any stories from that time (cushion related or not!). I gather that then chairman Sir Andrew Stephen resigned after some particularly vociferous protests in late 1973 - with the odd cushion thrown. The next chairman sacked Derek Dooley on Christmas Eve, so maybe cushions have a lot to answer for!

More detail on what I'm up to here:

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:44, Jakes Grandad said:

Can't remember one being chucked at a player though? Just thrown on to show displeasure of the teams performance, usually after every home game late 60s early 70s

Think it was the 69/70 season when the ref had to halt the game when hundreds of 'em landed on the pitch from the cantilever after yet another horrendous decision by the officials.

2 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Think it was the 69/70 season when the ref had to halt the game when hundreds of 'em landed on the pitch from the cantilever after yet another horrendous decision by the officials.

And to think this happened as well just 10 years later. :Sid:lol

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

giphy.gif

Snowballs were good fun, but not half as much fun as a British Rail Izal bogroll. You could get some reyt bend on 'em with that shiny side lol 

• Haha 3

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

Snowballs were good fun, but not half as much fun as a British Rail Izal bogroll. You could get some reyt bend on 'em with that shiny side lol 

Izal bogroll ? is he still at ARSEnal then ? :Sid:

• Haha 1

Poor old Pat...the best keeper I've seen in the flesh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Still got mine :ohmy:71ZrbmiaWxL._SY355_.jpg.648bf1ab4d68d131a171eac98e6742b9.jpg

I started going in 82 and recall the odd one or two flying onto the pitch from the North Stand.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a French typo and it was about dem blades.

• Like 1

Ref was Brian Holmewood of Sunbury on Thamea,  Gery Young scored to make it 2-2    but we had a bad ref day  so it got ruled out.  Never forgotten him or forgiven him to this day.

Can I just say that the Liverpool game, 1968, I chucked a cushion on the pitch. 

It was all my dad's fault.....never seen him get so worked up about a ref's decision!

On 25/03/2017 at 22:31, roaminowl said:

It must have been quicker and easier to pick them all up from the pitch. rather than walking up and down the rows of seats. Helpful as always us Wednesdayites. lol

so the cushion collector used to slip the linesman 10 bob to drop a boll*ck with ten minutes to go.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

giphy.gif

Funniest bit was when Jack came out to appeal to us on the Kop to stop throwing them and he got a barrage as well lol

• Haha 1