Who's the best Wednesday player ever?

38 minutes ago, owler66 said:

I'm glad a comment by myself has cost you so much homework lol 

I enjoyed that. Not got much else to do these days so thanks for that. Well that and my view that Carbone is falsely perceived by many to be a Wednesday great when he was .... well... alright but not that special.

8 hours ago, DesWalker said:

Des Walker

300+ Appearances and the best player I've ever seen in the blue and white.

Des' ability to read the game was second to none and he made the game (or rather the art of defending) look so easy.

He wasn't the best with the ball at his feet and his distribution was often a source of criticism.  However, for 7/8 years he was fantastic for us.

It is a shame the end of his time at S6 came after relegation and the start of the decline.  

The battles he used to have with Ian Wright were mesmerising to watch and as the song goes 'You'll never beat Des Walker.'

And as soon as you stopped watching...usually in the last 10 mins Wrighty scored   lol 

Chris waddle.

The way this man consistently beat the very best defenders in the country was a joy to behold.

Opposition defenders regularly resorted to hacking him down to avoid further torment.

They had no other answer !

Wonderful footballer.

The best and most exciting player for the owls in my opinion! 

Personally I hope the Dream Scene vote doesn't go the way of this thread. Because it's quite sad how overlooked the true Wednesday legends from Wednesday's most successful years are compared with the modern post-war players. I know none of us ever saw the club's true greats such as J Brown; Blenkinsop, Crawshaw, Spiksley, Rimmer and A Wilson, etc. But just look at all the multiple honours they won in Wednesday colours and the records they created.

The only post-war players that come anywhere close to that level of pedigree or success are the likes of Springett (World Cup Winner) and Fantham (post-war top scorer) and the best of the early 90's team (Nilsson; Harkes, Sheridan and Hirst), Walker and Waddle.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

22 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Lee chapman

Scored for fun, hard as nails and then won the league for Leeds after we stupidly sold him. 

i dont think we had a say in him leaving ...he was out of contract and refused a new one  that's how I remember it .

6 minutes ago, charmer said:

Damn predictive text again.  Sherridan was another legend. 

aye, he was a proper classy midfielder among our very best post-war players along with Springett; Fantham, Nilsson, Harkes, Walker, Waddle and Hirst. But the likes of Jack Brown; Ernie Blenkinsop, Tommy Crawshaw, Ellis Rimmer, Fred Spiksley, Jackie Robinson and Andrew Wilson, etc achieved just as much or far more in Wednesday colours and during their careers.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

12 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

aye, he was a proper classy midfielder among our very best post-war players along with Springett; Fantham, Nilsson, Harkes, Walker, Waddle and Hirst. But the likes of Jack Brown; Ernie Blenkinsop, Tommy Crawshaw, Ellis Rimmer, Fred Spiksley, Jackie Robinson and Andrew Wilson, etc achieved just as much or far more in Wednesday colours and during their careers.

Can we add Danny Wilson too bud,.... Just keep him away from being in charge of everything including the tea.... Did do a fine fine job down the road though. lollol

2 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

Nilsson ,out of all the top players we have had he was the only one who was truly world class and would have got in any team in the world in his prime

Agree on Nilsson.  Imo he's the best right back to have graced the Premier League.

But I also think that Chris Waddle in his prime was absolutely world class too.  I can count on one hand the number of truly great wingers over the last 25-30 years and Waddle was one of them.  

The word 'genius' applies to him because beating a great defender with trickery is the most difficult and thrilling aspect of the game and he did it with ease like few others have before or since.

You don't really see his ilk anymore because the game has veered away from the flying, pure winger at the top level with the 4-4-2 often giving way to more narrow formations.