Who's the best Wednesday player ever?

Roland Nilsson , Fred Spiksley, Mark Hooper, Redfern Froggatt, Alan Finney, John Fantham, Willie Henderson, Terry Curran, Chris Waddle, Tommo Craig, Ron Springett. Reight team that, one defender ...Carlos in charge, always score one more than the opposites!

Edited by sternlad

It's a very difficult question to answer, it all depends really on which kind of player you enjoy watching. If you like wingers then Chris Waddle would be the likely answer, if its a striker then David Hirst, if its a central midfielder then John Sheridan and so on. For me I like to hear what the ex pro's of the past have to say about certain players and for me the ones that always get spoken about in the highest regard are the likes of Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan, Nilsson, Bannister, Walker and a few others.

The other point to mention is how do you compare a player from the team that was so good in the 60's to the one so good in the 90's for example? The game has changed so much it's difficult to say who is the definitive best player. It all comes down to perception and also how successful the team is. We've had some very good players in not so good teams meaning we didn't see them have any real success. Most of the previous names mentioned have been players who were here when it was really good.

Best ever I would say someone like Fred Spiksley, Andrew Wilson or Ernie Blenkinsop in Wednesday's most successful days.

From the 60's Ron Springett and John Fantham deserve a mention but in modern times going on the players I've seen Roland Nilsson, John Harkes and Chris Waddle were our most successful modern era players in terms of pedigree; international football, individual and club honours. Although David Hirst and John Sheridan were the most exciting players I've seen in Wednesday colours.

Best all time: Fred Spiksley,

Best modern era: Roland Nilsson.

Des Walker

300+ Appearances and the best player I've ever seen in the blue and white.

Des' ability to read the game was second to none and he made the game (or rather the art of defending) look so easy.

He wasn't the best with the ball at his feet and his distribution was often a source of criticism.  However, for 7/8 years he was fantastic for us.

It is a shame the end of his time at S6 came after relegation and the start of the decline.  

The battles he used to have with Ian Wright were mesmerising to watch and as the song goes 'You'll never beat Des Walker.'

Holding on to when C Ronaldo comes to play in Semedo's testimonial game and pulls on the pinstripe shirt lol 

until then Nilsson , Waddle and  Hirst, at times a different class to anybody else on the pitch from either side no matter the opposition.

And to round it all off we got all three for approx £1.6 million if memory serves. 

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

Holding on to when C Ronaldo comes to play in Semedo's testimonial game and pulls on the pinstripe shirt lol 

until then Nilsson , Waddle and  Hirst, at times a different class to anybody else on the pitch from either side no matter the opposition.

And to round it all off we got all three for approx £1.6 million if memory serves. 

Can't fault you, other than for your omission of John Sheridan.