Poll: Man of the Match vs Reading...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Reading  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Reading?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Fox
    • Jones
    • Bannan
    • Buckley
    • Rhodes
    • Winnall
    • Reach
    • McManaman
    • Fletcher
    • Nuhiu

50 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

A lot of posters highlight Buckley as having a good game. I was disappointed with his contribution. He made poor decisions when he got into good areas by wanting to beat the man he had just beaten and his lack of effort to attempt to challenge for the ball was excruciating.  He wasn't the worst but our midfield looked so lightweight pedestrian and lacking in ideas. It was another game where we struggled to break a team down. Just what on earth do they do on the training ground? Corners and free kicks we have no threat whatsoever.

I gave Buckley 6.5 and my MOM.

He was ok, decent, call it what you want. On another day his 6.5 would have been way down the pecking order....not last night.

12 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This should make interesting reading tonight.

Buckley for me, only him and reach performed.

We didn't play badly, but didn't play well.

Probably should've scored, Al habsi plus poor finishing the only reason we didn't. 

Poor distribution and losing every single 2nd ball killed us.

Rhodes awful. Yet again misses golden chances. 

Winnall is wasted at the moment. doing too much donkey work for everyone else.

Too slow in attack, not aggressive enough in defence. Badly missed ff, Lee, hutch and hooper tonight.

Bannans problem is he's being too clever, but also suffering from a lack of quality around him. Can see a pass but too often it's either too clever, or the other players haven't seen it.

Needs to go back to the dogs of war style defence we had last year.

Too much punting it long. Fine Lees, loovens and westwood every time the hoof it.

Fletcher n mcmanaman shouldn't play again.

Confusing and erratic subs from Carlos, ruined our shape.

Westwood 6

Hunt 7

Loovens 5

Lees 6

Fox 5

Reach 7

Bannan 6

Jones 6

Buckley 7

Rhodes 4

Winnall 5

Scarecrow 4

Mcmanaman 4

Dave 5

Harsh on Rhodes and Macca I think; the former worked his socks off and managed two or three decent efforts from very little service. Macca lacked end product but raised our tempo.

Otherwise agree except Hunt was dreadful, his passing was nearly as bad as Loovens'.

14 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This should make interesting reading tonight.

Buckley for me, only him and reach performed.

We didn't play badly, but didn't play well.

Probably should've scored, Al habsi plus poor finishing the only reason we didn't. 

Poor distribution and losing every single 2nd ball killed us.

Rhodes awful. Yet again misses golden chances. 

Winnall is wasted at the moment. doing too much donkey work for everyone else.

Too slow in attack, not aggressive enough in defence. Badly missed ff, Lee, hutch and hooper tonight.

Bannans problem is he's being too clever, but also suffering from a lack of quality around him. Can see a pass but too often it's either too clever, or the other players haven't seen it.

Needs to go back to the dogs of war style defence we had last year.

Too much punting it long. Fine Lees, loovens and westwood every time the hoof it.

Fletcher n mcmanaman shouldn't play again.

Confusing and erratic subs from Carlos, ruined our shape.

Westwood 6

Hunt 7

Loovens 5

Lees 6

Fox 5

Reach 7

Bannan 6

Jones 6

Buckley 7

Rhodes 4

Winnall 5

Scarecrow 4

Mcmanaman 4

Dave 5

Pretty much spot on that mate

4 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Harsh on Rhodes and Macca I think; the former worked his socks off and managed two or three decent efforts from very little service. Macca lacked end product but raised our tempo.

Otherwise agree except Hunt was dreadful, his passing was nearly as bad as Loovens'.

Mcmanaman blazed his first cross high and almost for a throw, lost the ball the next three times he had it.

I can see he's got something, but I've been very disappointed in his quality. He's behind Wallace and Buckley, and I'd rather have seen matias last night than him.

Rhodes - hmm, he just isn't producing enough. He should have got his foot on the end of a cross in 2nd half but too slow. He's an undoubted talent, and we are doing him a disservice by constantly banging high balls at him. But he's got to be clinical, and I'm hoping that like hooper and Wickham, he's just getting up to speed and the goals will flow.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Mcmanaman blazed his first cross high and almost for a throw, lost the ball the next three times he had it.

I can see he's got something, but I've been very disappointed in his quality. He's behind Wallace and Buckley, and I'd rather have seen matias last night than him.

Rhodes - hmm, he just isn't producing enough. He should have got his foot on the end of a cross in 2nd half but too slow. He's an undoubted talent, and we are doing him a disservice by constantly banging high balls at him. But he's got to be clinical, and I'm hoping that like hooper and Wickham, he's just getting up to speed and the goals will flow.

Thing I keep seeing in Rhodes that I really like is that he just instinctively knows where the goal is. I know it sounds daft but he's so, so good at steering balls on target, even from a half (or quarter) chance. What he's lacked for me thus far is the confidence and conviction to put any real power behind anything - I don't mean he's a player who lacks confidence, obviously he doesn't, not with his record - what I mean is the confidence in front of our fans to give it some welly and risk missing by a mile as a result. Winnall same, really. I think that will come for both; let's not forget they joined at a time of high pressure and high tension and fans giving some stick. They're already starting to settle now and they'll bag plenty of goals as they get more comfortable and feel it's better to have a proper go and screw up now and then than to play for percentages and avoid criticism from their new home crowd.

I too think Buckley is actually a better fit for our team than McManaman - the latter is probably better on the ball and causes nightmares for defenders, but he's basically a FF type player with more of an angry streak and less good at finishing. We've already got FF, and I don't think a team can really support more than one of those players long-term, because they both play as much for themselves as they do the team. I don't mean that as any sort of criticism, it adds real dynamite to the attack, and every team ideally needs one, but more than that is hard to justify.

I would've dearly liked to see Matias get some minutes under his belt last night but I can see why he went with Macca - it's daft us having him for a limited time and not playing him, and there's more pressure to give him game time while we can. Matias has been out so long (and is our player), it almost makes no difference whether he gets to make his big comeback now or next season.

Back to Buckley though - looked really promising, don't you think? My only gripe was he seemed REALLY challenge-shy. I guess that's to be expected coming back from injury, but I hope it's not a permanent thing with him. He's skinny but he's not small, should be able to stick a leg in here and there. He's got the makings of a real asset IMO and I'd be well chuffed if we could hang on to him beyond this season's loan spell.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Thing I keep seeing in Rhodes that I really like is that he just instinctively knows where the goal is. I know it sounds daft but he's so, so good at steering balls on target, even from a half (or quarter) chance. What he's lacked for me thus far is the confidence and conviction to put any real power behind anything - I don't mean he's a player who lacks confidence, obviously he doesn't, not with his record - what I mean is the confidence in front of our fans to give it some welly and risk missing by a mile as a result. Winnall same, really. I think that will come for both; let's not forget they joined at a time of high pressure and high tension and fans giving some stick. They're already starting to settle now and they'll bag plenty of goals as they get more comfortable and feel it's better to have a proper go and screw up now and then than to play for percentages and avoid criticism from their new home crowd.

I too think Buckley is actually a better fit for our team than McManaman - the latter is probably better on the ball and causes nightmares for defenders, but he's basically a FF type player with more of an angry streak and less good at finishing. We've already got FF, and I don't think a team can really support more than one of those players long-term, because they both play as much for themselves as they do the team. I don't mean that as any sort of criticism, it adds real dynamite to the attack, and every team ideally needs one, but more than that is hard to justify.

I would've dearly liked to see Matias get some minutes under his belt last night but I can see why he went with Macca - it's daft us having him for a limited time and not playing him, and there's more pressure to give him game time while we can. Matias has been out so long (and is our player), it almost makes no difference whether he gets to make his big comeback now or next season.

Back to Buckley though - looked really promising, don't you think? My only gripe was he seemed REALLY challenge-shy. I guess that's to be expected coming back from injury, but I hope it's not a permanent thing with him. He's skinny but he's not small, should be able to stick a leg in here and there. He's got the makings of a real asset IMO and I'd be well chuffed if we could hang on to him beyond this season's loan spell.

I've been non-plussed about Buckley as well. Looked horrendously unfit, and nothing seemed to click. Was impressed last night though, and again he's done it here before.

Rhodes is an undoubted, proven top championship player. But he's got to start delivering, Norwich aside we are no better at finishing than we were prior to January. 

We are too risk averse. The problem comes from the back, I'm sick to death of our insistence in knocking it back, and then along the back four. Everyone has twigged to it, and they are forcing us to hump it long n high.

The quality is in the squad now. CC needs to get them playing quicker and with more urgency.