The Owls vs Reading. Official Matchday Thread.

A really poor performance which was symptomatic of the whole season.  I accept that Reading came to defend and for most of the game kept 11 men behind the ball, but their possession was much smoother and they had more movement all round than we had.

Not enough movement from our midfield or forwards and at times (as usual) we were very narrow.  I thought we were lacking in ideas and until the last 10 minutes when we basically threw everything into the box, just not enough creativity.  Didn't get hold of the midfield at all - again similar to the rest of the season.  

Whilst we still have Hutchinson, Forestieri and Wallace out, the team that started tonight should have been able to create many more chances especially in the first half when we created very little at all.  Their keeper played well and made a handful of good saves, but wasn't made to work hard enough until the last 10 to 15 minutes.

I have little optimism that we will make the play-offs now and even if we do - it's not looking like we would mount a serious challenge.  As I've said before - we need a clear out and a consolidation in the summer and go again next season, for the top two with 3 or 4 additions and quite a few departures!

Guest shawie99

That cringe worthy moment in the 1st half where not one of our players tried to tackle one of theres for what seemed forever.

Poor performance all round apart from a 15 min spell second half.

Must win and we failed, miserably.

Don't want to hear any bull with 20+ shots and 10+ corners we should've won... No, I'm not having it. Almost all of that came in the last 10 minutes, where were we for the first 80? It shouldn't be forgot about.

The only positive I can scrape from tonight is Will Buckley, I thought he did well. And you know what makes it worse? He's not even our player!

Barring a miracle, our season is over. Carlos has 8 games to prove me wrong or he's out of a job.

Many of our players tonight were just lazy . We could have been playing statues . Loovens seems to stroll around with no urgency whatsoever and as Captain this is just not good enough . He should be setting the tone , putting some urgency into it ; bollocking players when they 're not making the effort . We neshed so many tackles , didnt pressurise them in possession , played far too deep ,marking was sloppy , passing was awful ,shocking all round .

Exactly right, you need someone on the pitch who can read the opposition fairly quickly, and make the necessary adjustments to formation or who's picking who up. Sam's the man! When he's not there it shows, and he's not scared to b****ck anyone in the team...because he knows it's a collective thing that gets you the ball back when you've lost it. He's a great leader in the middle of the park. Loovens  is a cool customer at the back, no panic, if he ever does he doesn't show it. But Sam drives the team forward by example, by leading and by thinking on his feet...absolute gem because he allows the others to play without pressure. By all accounts Jones is ok but not dynamic enough to push the team on in situations like tonight.IMHO.

Edited by sternlad

Confession time..................

Given a difficult choice I went to see Wishbone Ash (seen them many times since the 70's) at the O2 Arena tonight, I did check the score on twatter and it was somehow very apt when they started playing one of their numbers "In crisis". Seems I couldn't get away from it after all, but the ones I went to see put in a good performance.

Goodnight to all you poor folk who've been to see Sheffield Wednesday Nil again :wacko:

I'm a little doubtful about the BBC statistics for possession.  It felt like Reading had much more possession than Wednesday - but we did very little in possession, in the first half which proved to be our undoing.  Carlos is under pressure now and DC has a decision to make at the end of the season, because we aren't going up via the play-offs, based on the last few performances / results.

24 minutes ago, Muffinman said:

I dont want Warnock. He can motivate though, thats always been apparent, as apparent as the fact that CC can't.

Seems so in this division. Though his record in the top tier is woeful. Still, it took him many years to get United promoted. Still remember the disgrace he oversaw vs Megson's WBA side, I'd never want such a manager to work here.

Firstly I'd like to say I want us led by Carlos to succeed and get to the promised land of the Prem League but having seen what we've all seen over the last season and this is that the football we play or played as in last season is not strong/direct/fast enough to do that. I love the football we played last season and have in bursts some times this but we've been found out and have made it too easy for teams to come and stop us. What we haven't had and need is a plan B to break teams down that we have struggled to break down. I just think the lack of any pace has been a problem. 

I love it when we play the ball about or back when we're winning despite the howls around me of "lump it up" etc but when we're level needing a win or losing desperate for a draw passing across the back 4 into injury is no good. 

I offer no solutions just frustrated observations and hope for the remainder of the season. Come on Wednesday WAWAW 

12 hours ago, Kevan said:

A really poor performance which was symptomatic of the whole season.  I accept that Reading came to defend and for most of the game kept 11 men behind the ball, but their possession was much smoother and they had more movement all round than we had.

Not enough movement from our midfield or forwards and at times (as usual) we were very narrow.  I thought we were lacking in ideas and until the last 10 minutes when we basically threw everything into the box, just not enough creativity.  Didn't get hold of the midfield at all - again similar to the rest of the season.  

Whilst we still have Hutchinson, Forestieri and Wallace out, the team that started tonight should have been able to create many more chances especially in the first half when we created very little at all.  Their keeper played well and made a handful of good saves, but wasn't made to work hard enough until the last 10 to 15 minutes.

I have little optimism that we will make the play-offs now and even if we do - it's not looking like we would mount a serious challenge.  As I've said before - we need a clear out and a consolidation in the summer and go again next season, for the top two with 3 or 4 additions and quite a few departures!

Midfield as has been the problem all season - out defence is fine and we have one of the best strike forces in the league.

But we are too narrow and CC has been too stubborn with certain players. We have pace and width but he just won't give it a decent go.

He just hasn't found a blend that works and as such the team hasn't been able to function properly.  

If we were c**p it wouldn't be so bad, but for once we have the personnel to make a real impact and it just hasn't happened.

It's beyond frustrating