Leeds Evening Post

5 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I've seen it. Maybe GDP was the wrong term, but the relative figures I gave were accurate. I didn't just think them up. But the point I was making is that for a city of our size there's little here. Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, even Liverpool have airports for example. Where's ours? There's a Harvey Nichols in Leeds, but there ain't one here because people can't afford to buy their products. Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester have business centres, where's ours? How come the TV and press aren't here? Like I said, it's the people running the city I've got a problem with.

I think you are right.

Years ago it looked like HSBC would lead the march to Sheffield but other cities were far quicker to regenerate. Sheffield seemed to become a public sector haven similar to Newcastle.

Leeds and Manchester ran away with real business districts, etc.. Manchester is the best city in the UK in my opinion.

1 hour ago, heppers said:

I think you are right.

Years ago it looked like HSBC would lead the march to Sheffield but other cities were far quicker to regenerate. Sheffield seemed to become a public sector haven similar to Newcastle.

Leeds and Manchester ran away with real business districts, etc.. Manchester is the best city in the UK in my opinion.

Exactly, because politically that was in line with the views of the council. The rates didn't help either, nor did the World Student Games. Labour councils in other cities seem to have been more moderate than here for some reason. Let's hope this Chinese investment will change things.

Just now, Athelwulf said:

Exactly, because politically that was in line with the views of the council. The rates didn't help either, nor did the World Student Games. Labour councils in other cities seem to have been more moderate than here for some reason. Let's hope this Chinese investment will change things.

Someone once told me that places like Newcastle get no real investment as they are such solid Labour seats. Neither the Tories nor Labour bother investing as the result is a certainty anyway. 

Well i'm obviously out of touch with Sheffield and the local area but the little I do hear about the place leaves me optimistic for it's future. Yes, i'd put it behind leeds but I get the impression that the city is on the right tracks.

I don't have a problem with facing facts and truth but I do have a problem when people make things up, as said previously, if leeds is that much better ( X 5.5) I'd like to scrutinise the figures. The figures I have accessed are from 2012 which show Sheffield well behind leeds but certainly not divided by 5.5. Also the figures i have seen have leeds and bradford as one.

1 hour ago, heppers said:

Someone once told me that places like Newcastle get no real investment as they are such solid Labour seats. Neither the Tories nor Labour bother investing as the result is a certainty anyway. 

Yes, that's true. It's always been the case. New Labour poured cash into the constituencies which had previously voted Tory, to try to dissuade them from going back to the Tories. It was the same in Aberfan in the early sixties. New Labour did send them some cash in fairness, but the Labour government of the day didn't because they knew that people there would never vote for anyone else. Had it been marginal they'd have been falling over themselves. The Tories didn't bother because they knew they'd no chance.

3 minutes ago, darklord said:

Newcastle and the rest of the north east got billions from the EU. Practically rebuilt the area.

Only the geordies remembered this at the brexit vote though lol

A mirrored building that hosts weird concerts and a few art galleries doesn't exactly create a world renowned business hub.

It remains full of left wing, trade union mentality public sector workers. It is a dump.

To be honest, I've not got much time for either Labour or the Tories. I think what matters is that you play one side off against the other, then you make yourself important. The problem in this city is that we get the worst of both worlds. Labour take us for granted, and the Tories ignore us. Monopolies are no good. It's like a football team where the same players get picked no matter how they're playing. Teams like that don't win much. If Sheffield's politics were like our football team, we'd have a different party in every time. lol 

9 minutes ago, heppers said:

A mirrored building that hosts weird concerts and a few art galleries doesn't exactly create a world renowned business hub.

It remains full of left wing, trade union mentality public sector workers. It is a dump.

I didn't say they spent it wisely lol

But at least it isn't Sunderland! 

Edited by darklord