Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dunsbyowl

March 16 1868 - Hail the Conquering Heroes!

Recommended Posts

aeroswfc

Congratulations and well done Sheffield Wednesday.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davetherave

Go round heads go.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

The cup, donated by Mr Oliver Cromwell of the Theatre Royal, was given for a football competition that only allowed local clubs less than two years old to enter. Those clubs were Garrick, Wellington, The Wednesday and Exchange.

 

In the first match on the 1st of February, at the Mackenzie Ground, the 14 players of The Wednesday beat Exchange by four goals and three rouges to nil. In the second tie of the round, played on the 8th at Norfolk Park, Garrick beat Wellington by a single rouge to advance to the final.

 

In the final, on the 16th of February at Bramall Lane, The Wednesday beat Garrick in front of an estimated 600 strong crowd. In the first half Whelan of Wednesday made so good advances at the Garrick goal but at the interval the clubs were tied in a deadlock. In the second half Garrick came out strongly but the diminutive Wednesday captain, Marsh, excelled at repelling their attacks. At full time the clubs were still unable to be separated and the umpires decided to play on until some team scored, essentially a golden goal scenario. Straight from the kick off Garrick had the ball stolen by Whelan who brought Wednesday into the Garrick goal, where a furious scramble occurred and the ball was carried over the line, three minutes into the extra time period.

 

Wednesday were crowned Cromwell Cup winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oliver Cromwell

Thanks for the publicity Dunsby.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dunsbyowl
2 minutes ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

Thanks for the publicity Dunsby.

Bloody Hell you're welcome Sir!

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zzmdu
34 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

The cup, donated by Mr Oliver Cromwell of the Theatre Royal, was given for a football competition that only allowed local clubs less than two years old to enter. Those clubs were Garrick, Wellington, The Wednesday and Exchange.

 

In the first match on the 1st of February, at the Mackenzie Ground, the 14 players of The Wednesday beat Exchange by four goals and three rouges to nil. In the second tie of the round, played on the 8th at Norfolk Park, Garrick beat Wellington by a single rouge to advance to the final.

 

In the final, on the 16th of February at Bramall Lane, The Wednesday beat Garrick in front of an estimated 600 strong crowd. In the first half Whelan of Wednesday made so good advances at the Garrick goal but at the interval the clubs were tied in a deadlock. In the second half Garrick came out strongly but the diminutive Wednesday captain, Marsh, excelled at repelling their attacks. At full time the clubs were still unable to be separated and the umpires decided to play on until some team scored, essentially a golden goal scenario. Straight from the kick off Garrick had the ball stolen by Whelan who brought Wednesday into the Garrick goal, where a furious scramble occurred and the ball was carried over the line, three minutes into the extra time period.

 

Wednesday were crowned Cromwell Cup winners.

 

 

History really does show that Bramall Lanes historical importance, really has nothing to do with SUFC aka the Pigs

and everything to do with SWFC, other Sheffield teams and YCCC.

 

It's a shame this historic piece of land has been vandalized by SUFC and turned into a cheap red shiny clad football arena.

Really is a crime against football.

Edited by zzmdu
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

@dunsbyowl were you in Sheffield museum or archives the other week looking at Wharncliffe Cup stuff?

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ian_D

the Comwell Cu,p?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrMeerkat

What is a rouge? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
37 minutes ago, MrMeerkat said:

What is a rouge? 

 

A way of scoring through posts outside the main goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrMeerkat
28 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

 

A way of scoring through posts outside the main goal.

Like gaelic football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 minutes ago, MrMeerkat said:

Like gaelic football?

 

No idea, I've never watched that. I suppose as Sheffield rules football was very like rugby, with more players than Association football, the ability to pick up the ball and so on, it would be like I imagine Gaelic football would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Owl_in_Hudds

'F*** off Garrick, the city is ours'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
S36 OWL

Brilliant read . Always look forward to your nostalgia threads  Dunsby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dunsbyowl
6 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

@dunsbyowl were you in Sheffield museum or archives the other week looking at Wharncliffe Cup stuff?

No not me!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dunsbyowl
6 hours ago, Ian_D said:

the Comwell Cu,p?

Just a test to see if anyone was paying attention ;-)

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
38 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

No not me!

 

 

May have been Kivo then. They told me a chap had been in asking about it that's all, when I was showing them my Wharncliffe Cup trophy.

 

IMG_3620.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1963owl
8 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

The cup, donated by Mr Oliver Cromwell of the Theatre Royal, was given for a football competition that only allowed local clubs less than two years old to enter. Those clubs were Garrick, Wellington, The Wednesday and Exchange.

 

In the first match on the 1st of February, at the Mackenzie Ground, the 14 players of The Wednesday beat Exchange by four goals and three rouges to nil. In the second tie of the round, played on the 8th at Norfolk Park, Garrick beat Wellington by a single rouge to advance to the final.

 

In the final, on the 16th of February at Bramall Lane, The Wednesday beat Garrick in front of an estimated 600 strong crowd. In the first half Whelan of Wednesday made so good advances at the Garrick goal but at the interval the clubs were tied in a deadlock. In the second half Garrick came out strongly but the diminutive Wednesday captain, Marsh, excelled at repelling their attacks. At full time the clubs were still unable to be separated and the umpires decided to play on until some team scored, essentially a golden goal scenario. Straight from the kick off Garrick had the ball stolen by Whelan who brought Wednesday into the Garrick goal, where a furious scramble occurred and the ball was carried over the line, three minutes into the extra time period.

 

Wednesday were crowned Cromwell Cup winners.

good stuff will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...