testimonial for Semedo

Why do we put these extremely well paid footballers on such a pedestal?  That we have to "show our respect and appreciation",  especially for a bloke who's has carried the drinks for 3 seasons, seems like it's all backwards to me.

Footballers aren't heroes ( most of them are bellends although Semedo doesn't seem to fit that bill )  and they certainly aren't doing what they do as any kind of favour to the fans, they're employees, who are paid a very good salary to play a game for a living, this deep, emotional attachment that people form to them is just bizarre imo.

I'm coming up for 10 years at my job, I get paid bugger all but considering my season tickets etc have contributed in part to his salary, Semedo should probably pop into the office and show his respect shouldn't he?

4 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Why do we put these extremely well paid footballers on such a pedestal?  That we have to "show our respect and appreciation",  especially for a bloke who's has carried the drinks for 3 seasons, seems like it's all backwards to me.

Footballers aren't heroes ( most of them are bellends although Semedo doesn't seem to fit that bill )  and they certainly aren't doing what they do as any kind of favour to the fans, they're employees, who are paid a very good salary to play a game for a living, this deep, emotional attachment that people form to them is just bizarre imo.

I'm coming up for 10 years at my job, I get paid bugger all but considering my season tickets etc have contributed in part to his salary, Semedo should probably pop into the office and show his respect shouldn't he?

You don't come across as bitter at all lol

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

If we have a testimonial for Semedo and all the money goes to charity then fair enough, Not a legend in my eyes but If say St Lukes Hospice benefits from it then that's a good thing.

If any of the money goes into Semedo back pocket (And I think I am right in saying this will be tax free) then its a big fat no from me. In this day and age when even average lower league players like Semedo can earn probably £6k per week think it is obscene that they ask the public to put more money into they retirement nest egg.

Please note this is not a particular go at Semedo but testimonials in general.

Agree completely.

dont get this love in with Jose .

he's a nice guy but has contributed nothing football wise for over 3 years.

stole a wage

and loyalty keeps getting thrown about ,he's here CUs we gave him the best offer of doing nothing for thousands a week.

singing his name is cringey enough but a testimonial is taking the pi$$

Guest We Shall Overcome
5 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

dont get this love in with Jose .

he's a nice guy but has contributed nothing football wise for over 3 years.

stole a wage

and loyalty keeps getting thrown about ,he's here CUs we gave him the best offer of doing nothing for thousands a week.

singing his name is cringey enough but a testimonial is taking the pi$$

Its typical football fans, on the things that matter, e.g. clinging on to 6th spot, spending £millions with no improvement, not addressing our defensive frailties etc etc, its "Or Never mind in Carlos we Trust" but mention  Semedo and Nuhiu and the Lovies start wetting the self s, no wonder"Dave Allen and the like nearly took the club out of business".    

I don't think a testimonial is necessary, that has been covered really by the great support he gets whenever he enters the field.

Having said that, if he can get Ronaldo to play in it as a 150 year anniversary thing as well that could be fantastic.

10 hours ago, Grandad said:

Testimonials for football players who earn the average annual salary in 1,2 or 3 weeks are no longer required.

Agree totally with this,. Only exception would be is for players who have their career cut short due to Serious injury early in career (like Ian Knight).

Career ending injuries to older players in twilight of their career that don't need it since they are already £ minted ANYWAY (need not apply)  ,.. especially when the rest of us struggle on with a forecast pension that's worth. 3 parts of f**k- all and a pot to p**s-in ! 

16 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Agree totally with Grandad,... The only exception to this would be for young players who have their career cut short due to Serious injury  (like Ian Knight).

Injuries to older players in the twilight of their careers  need not apply,  since they are already £ minted anyway.... especially when the rest of us struggle on with a forecast pension that's worth. 3 parts of f**k- all and a pot to p**s-in ! 

Edit of my previous post due to timed out edit. In order  t o make it  a bit more sense! 

It's disappointing to see the amount of comments citing him earning a good wage as a reason why he shouldn't be entitled to a testimonial. I don't see how this is relevant at all?

some of the comments seem bitter towards him as if it's his fault he's paid well to sit on the bench. 

I'm not saying he should have one, but money shouldn't come into it either way. 

As Grandad has mentioned a testimonial is not really appropriate.

A charity benefit game supporting local charities would be a good idea though. If only Jose had a famous footballer mate who played for a really good side that we could invite and maybe tie in the 150th celebrations.