testimonial for Semedo

If we have a testimonial for Semedo and all the money goes to charity then fair enough, Not a legend in my eyes but If say St Lukes Hospice benefits from it then that's a good thing.

If any of the money goes into Semedo back pocket (And I think I am right in saying this will be tax free) then its a big fat no from me. In this day and age when even average lower league players like Semedo can earn probably £6k per week think it is obscene that they ask the public to put more money into they retirement nest egg.

Please note this is not a particular go at Semedo but testimonials in general.

Guest Deleted member

Testimonials were traditionally given to players who had been at a club for 10 years (to reward their loyalty and lack of signing on fees for moving around) - or one who had suffered a premature career end through injury.

Jose has been with us 6 years - been extremely well paid - and should have plenty of money salted away for his retirement if hes managed his finances correctly.

No need for a testimonial - great professional that he is

Guest Deleted member
Just now, matthefish2002 said:

If we have a testimonial for Semedo and all the money goes to charity then fair enough, Not a legend in my eyes but If say St Lukes Hospice benefits from it then that's a good thing.

If any of the money goes into Semedo back pocket (And I think I am right in saying this will be tax free) then its a big fat no from me. In this day and age when even average lower league players like Semedo can earn probably £6k per week think it is obscene that they ask the public to put more money into they retirement nest egg.

Yes - I'd happily support a benefit game that supported local charities

gate receipts to charity is good , he's type of guy who would do that , only mentioned it because it would be good send off for him , could be done as a pre season friendly game.

yes it used to be 10 years at a club ..not many players do that nowadays  ..

could you see us having one for example for Liam Palmer 

Guest Deleted member

Testimonials for football players who earn the average annual salary in 1,2 or 3 weeks are no longer required.

Haven't his last 2 contracts basically served the purpose of a testimonial? He's been paid to smile and clap for the last couple of years.

Yes everybody likes Semedo, but the club has been more than generous enough to him already imo, and nobody would be surprised if he ends up sticking around in some capacity after he's hung up his boots anyway.

Edited by Lee A

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

As much as I love Semedo I think the next testimonial at Hillsborough should be for Kevin Pressman.

Think its too late to have one for Kevin Pressman now. It is nearly 13 years since he last played and doubt they will be much public interest. If it was a local charity I would go but not if the player financially benefitted.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I'm sure semedo would do that anyway. He'd appreciate the sentiment more than anybody 

Think this is a two way thing tbh. Gives the fans an opportunity to show their respect for the players loyalty, and traditionally gave loyal players a bit of a bonus. First still applies in my view but as others have said the second one doesn't in this day and age. For me I would like the opportunity to show my respect for the player.