Lucas Joao

He wasn't going to get the game time once Rhodes and Winnall came in, so it made perfect sense to Loan him out.

I think we missed him earlier in the season  when he was injured and even though his performances were sketchy when he returned we looked more of a threat and we probably got better results?

Point I'm trying to make is no other forward in our squad has his attributes and therefore I'm expecting him back in a Wednesday shirt next season as I believe the forward line will be changed a little in the summer and I fully expect Fletcher to leave if we're still in the championship and Nuhiu to leave too.

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think Rhodes has very little chance of making an impact at that level, and yes, Joao has more of the attributes needed to be successful in the Premier League

what attributes has joao got that make you think he's got a better chance than Rhodes of making it in the prem ......his goalscoring record isn't good 16 goals in a 100 games at anything like a decent level  , his control of the ball is poor, he doesn't seem to have any body strength and seems to be lacking in the ticker department .....just by comparison Rhodes as scored 38 goals in his last 99 games .

48 minutes ago, torryowl said:

what attributes has joao got that make you think he's got a better chance than Rhodes of making it in the prem ......his goalscoring record isn't good 16 goals in a 100 games at anything like a decent level  , his control of the ball is poor, he doesn't seem to have any body strength and seems to be lacking in the ticker department .....just by comparison Rhodes as scored 38 goals in his last 99 games .

I sort of agree, I think it was a poor comparison to make if I'm honest. Joao is getting game time over at Blackburn, so this will help him, and hopefully we'll see him back, much improved and settled, or he'll move on to another club and continue to find his rhythm. 

Rhodes would be a decent player at any level IMHO. We shouldn't compare the two.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

Its not meant to be a direct comparison, I've said on several occasions that they're totally different types of player, it's just people keep putting them up for comparison. Re Joao, firstly I'm no expert, but I do try to look beyond the obvious stats. Certainly many of issues you raise about him, ring true. He does seem to lack that mental toughness, and I'm not sure he will ever be a prolific scorer. As for his control of the ball, this is why he is such an enigma. One minute he is capable of a bit of sublime control, and has the ability to turn sharply away from defenders. The next minute, as you say, he will fail to control a simple ball, or stumble into trouble, with seemingly no idea of what he's trying to do. The fact that he can do it though, and do it with such panache, is what might make you think he's worth persisting with. Other attributes, are obviously his pace, he's pretty good in the air, and works hard, especially on his defensive duties. He can also spot a pass, long or short. The big problem, as you have alluded to, is that he doesn't do it often enough. Lucas Joao has all the basic tools to make it in the top flight, which is probably why he's been watched by some of the big clubs, but yes, he has a long way to go

Briefly on Rhodes, he's very good at sticking the ball in the net, at least he is at this level. Could he do it at a higher level? I'm not sure that he could, and Premier League clubs would rarely show interest in a player with such limitations.

1 hour ago, F. Spiksley said:

I sort of agree, I think it was a poor comparison to make if I'm honest. Joao is getting game time over at Blackburn, so this will help him, and hopefully we'll see him back, much improved and settled, or he'll move on to another club and continue to find his rhythm. 

Rhodes would be a decent player at any level IMHO. We shouldn't compare the two.

As above, it was never my intention to compare the two, they are very different types of player. When asked if I thought Joao was better than Fletcher, Winnall or Rhodes, my point was that potentially, Joao could go further than all of them. Do I think he should have gone out on loan? Sure, it's good for all parties, but I'd be hugely disappointed if we sold him. At the moment, and for the way that we play, Fletcher, Winnall and Rhodes, are what we need right now. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Its not meant to be a direct comparison, I've said on several occasions that they're totally different types of player, it's just people keep putting them up for comparison. Re Joao, firstly I'm no expert, but I do try to look beyond the obvious stats. Certainly many of issues you raise about him, ring true. He does seem to lack that mental toughness, and I'm not sure he will ever be a prolific scorer. As for his control of the ball, this is why he is such an enigma. One minute he is capable of a bit of sublime control, and has the ability to turn sharply away from defenders. The next minute, as you say, he will fail to control a simple ball, or stumble into trouble, with seemingly no idea of what he's trying to do. The fact that he can do it though, and do it with such panache, is what might make you think he's worth persisting with. Other attributes, are obviously his pace, he's pretty good in the air, and works hard, especially on his defensive duties. He can also spot a pass, long or short. The big problem, as you have alluded to, is that he doesn't do it often enough. Lucas Joao has all the basic tools to make it in the top flight, which is probably why he's been watched by some of the big clubs, but yes, he has a long way to go

Briefly on Rhodes, he's very good at sticking the ball in the net, at least he is at this level. Could he do it at a higher level? I'm not sure that he could, and Premier League clubs would rarely show interest in a player with such limitations.

I always thought Rhodes was JUST a goalscorer but have been impressed  with other aspects of his game since he joined and certainly didn't realise he was so good in the air ....whether he can cut it in the prem I don't know but i'm pretty confident joao wont .