Lucas Joao

2 hours ago, Dagmeister said:

Not sure they were the same pwople. Agree though it's great to see him starting to perform on loan and damaging our rivals is a nice bonus.

I don't know whether Joao will return a much improved player nor whether we'll benefit from it next season but there is no doubt in my mind that the right decision was to loan him out. Hopefully it will indeed prove to be a hugely beneficial both for the lad's career and also to our asset.

No, those that were slating Joao, they were the ones jumping up and down when we signed Jordan Rhodes

18 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Same amount as goals as Rhodes I'm far less minutes and for a team battling the drop.

Just saying. 

Why couldnt we show how the same faith in Joao that we are showing in Rhodes. That's the question.

Because Rhodes is proven quality , while Joao had done nothing all season before going to blackburn. 

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

At this level, Rhodes is good at what he does, putting the ball in the net. Doesn't have Joao's natural talent though, but fair play to Rhodes, he's made a decent career for himself, despite the limitations

Terrific striker at this level IMO. I think he'll score bucket loads for us over the coming years.

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

At this level, Rhodes is good at what he does, putting the ball in the net. Doesn't have Joao's natural talent though, but fair play to Rhodes, he's made a decent career for himself, despite the limitations

Putting the ball in the back of the net is probably the most sought after natural talent going. Rhodes has that talent by the bucket load, Joao doesn't. Nice way of degrading Rhodes btw, just because he doesn't fit into your perceived "talent attributes."

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Over 100 championship goals. A goal every other game. I wish all our strikers over the last 20 years had had his limitations. Good grief. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No, those that were slating Joao, they were the ones jumping up and down when we signed Jordan Rhodes

I was jumping up and down when we signed Rhodes. I wasn't slating Joao though. He has something for sure but as I've said I reckon the loan was good for him and the club.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Rhodes or Joao

Rhodes. Joao might become one some day maybe even at a higher level.

Edited by Dagmeister

39 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

I was jumping up and down when we signed Rhodes. I wasn't slating Joao though. He has something for sure but as I've said I reckon the loan was good for him and the club.

Rhodes. Joao might become one some day maybe even at a higher level.

Yes probably, if we're planning on staying in this league for a while Think Rhodes would struggle to score goals in the top flight

Edited by gurujuan

43 minutes ago, Walt said:

Putting the ball in the back of the net is probably the most sought after natural talent going. Rhodes has that talent by the bucket load, Joao doesn't. Nice way of degrading Rhodes btw, just because he doesn't fit into your perceived "talent attributes."

In the lower leagues yes, the higher up you go, you have to be a more complete forward 

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In the lower leagues yes, the higher up you go, you have to be a more complete forward 

Fantastic record in the Championship to be fair. Of course you have to be more of a complete player as you rise through the divisions but I reckon that Rhodes would score goals in the premiership too. We're lucky to have him IMO.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We are talking championship here, right, comparing Rhodes and Joao? You did not recognise the talent of putting the ball in the back of the net, just brushed over it by saying he's good at what he does - putting the ball in the net, like it's just like shelling peas. 

5 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Fantastic record in the Championship to be fair. Of course you have to be more of a complete player as you rise through the divisions but I reckon that Rhodes would score goals in the premiership too. We're lucky to have him IMO.

I reckon he'd score if he played in a front two. The fad of playing with one up top have done the likes of his types no favours imo. On a slight  tangent I have often wondered how Defoe would have got on if given a decent run at international level for England.

2 hours ago, Walt said:

We are talking championship here, right, comparing Rhodes and Joao? You did not recognise the talent of putting the ball in the back of the net, just brushed over it by saying he's good at what he does - putting the ball in the net, like it's just like shelling peas. 

No, I said, they are completely different types of player. I'm not underplaying what Rhodes does, far from it, at this level, he's one of the best there are. Football is changing though, the better clubs need more from a forward than just an ability to put the ball in the net. Having that type of player does not usually equate to having a successful team, just look at Jordan's career.

There will still be a role for that type of player further down the leagues, but in the Premier League, and even at the top end of the Championship, clubs are looking for a little more. As for Joao, well he is capable of doing things most of our other strikers can't, but crucially, he doesn't do it anywhere near often enough. Although I don't necessarily agree with the route Carlos is going down, I can see that he feels he is better served by tried and tested players. We'll just have to see how that works out, but to my mind, we've lost something this season.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

What is it with you & Rhodes?

Ever since we were linked with him you've had a non stop campaign of talking him down.

"Doesn't have Joao's natural talent though",   " Despite the limitations"????

Once again, the ridiculous misguided hindsight tendency so prevalent on Owlstalk. 

Joao scores a couple of very ordinary goals and suddenly he's better than someone who has been doing it year in year out for as long as you can remember.

Just flick back a few pages on here and the vitriol against Joao is beyond belief.

You also claim in another post that Rhodes does nothing else than score. I assume you go to games (?) so therefore also assume you have seen him covering every blade of grass, winning just about every 50/50 header and therefore assume, that on this subject, you are just another attention seeking wind up merchant.

I do not understand the point in slagging off any Wednesday player, whether it's Joao, Rhodes, Reach, Sasso or anyone else. It is counter productive, corrosive and serves no other purpose than to demotivate players and further stimulate the negative tendency on here that to be honest needs no encouragement.

Are you so one dimensional, that for once, with one of the most important games of the season coming up, you can't let go of your personal prejudice against Rhodes, for whatever reason this is, and just work on the basis that if they pull a Wednesday shirt on, we get behind them whoever it is. 

I suspect not, because you've probably got nothing else to say.