Lucas Joao

57 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It shows how it is in the mind for many players.

He reminds me of Heskey when he was a young player. He often couldn't hit a barn door, then when one went in he would score a number of them for a period of time before the next dry spell.

Not sure about the Heskey thing, but I know what you mean. Reading that piece by the Blackburn fan, pretty much sums up the dilemma with Lucas Joao. In those brief moments, when everything clicks, he can look sublime, a top footballer in the making.

The flip side is, more often or not, he can look awkward and ungainly, and it seems that you're watching a completely different player. The thing with Lucas though is, he has it all in his locker. 

37 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Find Joao a frustrating player. Think he has got plenty of talent but only shows it in brief flashes and you feel he could benefit from a rocket up the backside sometimes.

Strange how things work out when an important goal for us he scores while playing for someone else. 

Yes it's finding the key, for him to produce on a regular basis, what he does in flashes. I've seen enough of him to realise, in terms of raw talent, he's probably second only to Forestieri, among our attacking players. Remember, was it Norwich away, where he turned twice and left two defenders on their arse before hitting a 40yard cross field pass that split the defence wide open. He can do things like that, but the next minute, the ball could be bouncing off his shins. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure about the Heskey thing, but I know what you mean. Reading that piece by the Blackburn fan, pretty much sums up the dilemma with Lucas Joao. In those brief moments, when everything clicks, he can look sublime, a top footballer in the making.

The flip side is, more often or not, he can look awkward and ungainly, and it seems that you're watching a completely different player. The thing with Lucas though is, he has it all in his locker. 

Hes not as big or physical as heskey but teams will expect him to be like that. I meant it more in relation to his patchy form more than anything though 

3 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

The people lauding Joao in here are the same who slated him while he was here.

Pathetic.

Its great to see him do well on loan, its what you want to happen.

But to use it to start slagging our manager and Rhodes shows the agenda of some people.

Not sure they were the same pwople. Agree though it's great to see him starting to perform on loan and damaging our rivals is a nice bonus.

I don't know whether Joao will return a much improved player nor whether we'll benefit from it next season but there is no doubt in my mind that the right decision was to loan him out. Hopefully it will indeed prove to be a hugely beneficial both for the lad's career and also to our asset.

14 minutes ago, cookeh said:

3 goals in 2 games, taking points off Norwich and Fulham.. Legend! Thank you, Lucas.

As he came on in the 59th and 60th mins. respectively , he's averaged a goal every 20 odd mins.

Is it sustainable , damn well hope so , but why do we have to be lauding a player out on loan. Seems we're missing summat in our own endeavours.

Hope we get ourselves into gear come Friday. UTO

8 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Not sure they were the same pwople. Agree though it's great to see him starting to perform on loan and damaging our rivals is a nice bonus.

I don't know whether Joao will return a much improved player nor whether we'll benefit from it next season but there is no doubt in my mind that the right decision was to loan him out. Hopefully it will indeed prove to be a hugely beneficial both for the lad's career and also to our asset.

They were.

It's worth watching Mowbray's post-match comments about him - he's quickly worked out its pointless playing him back to goal, he doesn't have the physical strength for it

I would post a link but it seems to only be on their official site - you can use the Wednesday Player log-in

53 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

why do we have to be lauding a player out on loan. Seems we're missing summat in our own endeavours.

Because Fulham were one of the best 2 teams in the league in terms of form. It'd be crazy to demand that we are permanently the best form team in the league, that's the kind of unreasonable expectation that's currently disrupting the fan base. In terms of form we're top 5, we're not missing anything, people just seem to have decided that we're Barca because we loaned Jordan Rhodes, and are crying that we still actually need to win football matches.

For one of our players to do us a favour and knock the form of a direct rival is worth lauding imo, so again. Well done, Joao. Not wearing our shirt right now, but doing good work for us just the same.

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Because Fulham were one of the best 2 teams in the league in terms of form. It'd be crazy to demand that we are permanently the best form team in the league, that's the kind of unreasonable expectation that's currently disrupting the fan base. In terms of form we're top 5, we're not missing anything, people just seem to have decided that we're Barca because we loaned Jordan Rhodes, and are crying that we still actually need to win football matches.

For one of our players to do us a favour and knock the form of a direct rival is worth lauding imo, so again. Well done, Joao. Not wearing our shirt right now, but doing good work for us just the same.

Not disputing we should be lauding him , done plenty of that myself.

Just seems odd we're relying on a player out on loan to get us results , when only last month we had a sizeable points buffer.

We really need to push on and reestablish that buffer.

Just now, daztheowl said:

Not disputing we should be lauding him , done plenty of that myself.

Just seems odd we're relying on a player out on loan to get us results , when only last month we had a sizeable points buffer.

We really need to push on and reestablish that buffer.

Ideally, sure. But it's easier said than done. No one's got a divine right to win football matches, as Fulham proved last night.
Like i said tho, over the last 5 home and last 5 away games we're 5th in the league form-wise, tied with Brighton.

So sure, we need to keep winning games, and 3 points on Friday would be great, but things really aren't as bad as a lot of voices on here seem to make out.

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Ideally, sure. But it's easier said than done. No one's got a divine right to win football matches, as Fulham proved last night.
Like i said tho, over the last 5 home and last 5 away games we're 5th in the league form-wise, tied with Brighton.

So sure, we need to keep winning games, and 3 points on Friday would be great, but things really aren't as bad as a lot of voices on here seem to make out.

With you all the way.

Let's get Hillsbrough rockin Friday.