9 games to go

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

The self destruct button has been well and truly passed, and it's the boring whinging, nothing is ever good enough attention seeking w4nkers of fans we have that have pressed it 

Said it weeks ago, before the club and players acknowledged them. The toxic atmosphere and negativity has spread to the players, and the lack of belief has gone along with it. 

It will take some turning around, and sadly I think they'll get their way, the manager will go and performances won't improve for some time. 

Well done you ar5e4oles. You've set us back. Again. 

Fans do not go to matches with the intention of being negative from the off.

Negative performances however breeds negativity from the stands and that's down to Carlos and the players. If the players start in a more high tempo attacking manner the fans will respond to that.

If we do fail to get into the playoffs it'll not be the fans fault that's for sure and the only toxic atmosphere that I've beard witness to is the one created by people such as yourself who've chosen to label your fellow Wednesday fans as "attention seeking w4nkers" and ar$eh0les".

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

Fans do not go to matches with the intention of being negative from the off.

Negative performances however breeds negativity from the stands and that's down to Carlos and the players. If the players start in a more high tempo attacking manner the fans will respond to that.

If we do fail to get into the playoffs it'll not be the fans fault that's for sure and the only toxic atmosphere that I've beard witness to is the one created by people such as yourself who've chosen to label your fellow Wednesday fans as "attention seeking w4nkers" and ar$eh0les".

the atmosphere is toxic at times

the manager and the players have commented on it

bury your head if you like.....but its true

10 minutes ago, Grandad said:

The self destruct button has been well and truly pressed, and it's the boring whinging, nothing is ever good enough attention seeking w4nkers of fans we have that have pressed it 

Said it weeks ago, before the club and players acknowledged them. The toxic atmosphere and negativity has spread to the players, and the lack of belief has gone along with it. 

It will take some turning around, and sadly I think they'll get their way, the manager will go and performances won't improve for some time. 

Well done you ar5e4oles. You've set us back. Again. 

bizarre

As was said on Sky Sports after the Leeds defeat, with our players we should finish in the top 6. If we don't it will be down to Carlos' tactics...or lack of them. Blaming the fans is ridiculous. Fans are frustrated because they realize that we're blowing a wonderful chance to go up, with no parachute team in the play-off places. Those who back Carlos will regret it. They'll regret it even more when they see Leeds back in the PL next season.

Just now, Dot said:

the atmosphere is toxic at times

the manager and the players have commented on it

bury your head if you like.....but its true

It's nowhere near as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Most people who've voiced concerns on here (like I have) go to matches with the sole intent of getting behind the team but the atmosphere tends to fall a little flat when the game is boring and we are passing the ball around in our own half for what seems like the sake of it.

The atmosphere has been flat but not toxic. We've witness plenty of toxic atmospheres at Hillsborough over the years with black balloon protests, chants of "your not fit to wear that shirt" and "sack the board"... this is nowhere near that level.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not sure how slagging off fellow Wednesdayites and resorting to childish insults helps anything.

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

It's nowhere near as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Most people who've voiced concerns on here (like I have) go to matches with the sole intent of getting behind the team but the atmosphere tends to fall a little flat when the game is boring and we are passing the ball around in our own half for what seems like the sake of it.

The atmosphere has been flat but not toxic. We've witness plenty of toxic atmospheres at Hillsborough over the years with black balloon protests, chants of "your not fit to wear that shirt" and "sack the board"... this is nowhere near that level.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not sure how slagging off fellow Wednesdayites and resorting to childish insults helps anything.

Carlos has commented on it

players have commented on it

lets stop the toxic atmosphere

Style of play and what should and shouldn't have happened in transfer windows are valid concerns but neither can be changed now.

I think the criticism after the recent two games has been unfair really, Burton was a frustrating game and fan expectation in those games does have an effect. Today all things considered and with players out, nothing went for us. I'm more concerned by the injuries and the quality of Fulham.

All hands to the pumps now to see if we can do something.

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

As was said on Sky Sports after the Leeds defeat, with our players we should finish in the top 6. If we don't it will be down to Carlos' tactics...or lack of them. Blaming the fans is ridiculous. Fans are frustrated because they realize that we're blowing a wonderful chance to go up, with no parachute team in the play-off places. Those who back Carlos will regret it. They'll regret it even more when they see Leeds back in the PL next season.

So you'd change the manager with 9 games to go and replace him with who?

We haven't blown anything at all.

We're still in the top 6, big injury list and a battle on our hands admittedly but so has every other team trying to get in there.

Fulham would take our position in a heartbeat as would every other team chasing us.

1 minute ago, Dot said:

Carlos has commented on it

players have commented on it

lets stop the toxic atmosphere

If there was a toxic atmosphere I'd be inclined to agree with you but I don't believe there is and I'm yet to here Carlos or the players reference the atmosphere at Hillsborough as toxic.

Guest Deleted member

While my post last night was clearly fueled by numerous beers followed by some lovely caramel vodka (served over ice, it's the future) is clear from the continuing debate and self justification that the negativity will prevail. 

People aren't giving the team any slack, or acknowledgement of just how many injuries we are struggling with just now 

I really don't understand why people can't just support. I'm trying to understand, fancy explaining? 

8 hours ago, Dot said:

how about we try something radical

stop the toxic atmosphere at Hillsborough...the moans and groans every time a pass goes astray

the divs on here who cant wait for a bad result so they can mump and moan shut the f up (or better still venture out from behind their keyboards and actually go to a game)

Carlos isn't leaving now despite the cry babies shouting for his head

how about we create some positivity and will us over the line?

radical I know

Good idea, but can we continue discussing things on OT? 

Radical, but you can support the team AND discuss SWFC on here.

We are in our 5th season back in the championship after our second spell in league one within a decade.

We are still on course to finish in a higher position in the championship for the fourth consecutive season.

That shows progress whether you are the in the 'we are' camp or the 'we aren't' camp.

Under MM we were steadily moving along due to modest investment. Over the last two seasons we've made a pretty big leap forward due to aggressive investment from DC.

I don't think you can compare us to the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Norwich, Derby, Villa etc. just yet for many reasons.

What's getting the fan base under the collar is the season's Huddersfield, Leeds and Reading are having. The outstanding performance is undoubtedly Huddersfield's all achieved on a modest budget by championship standards though if they don't go up, the acid test for them will be next season. Both Leeds and Reading have spent money but perhaps not as much as us?

Fulham not that long ago were in the prem and have a solid base and an outstanding manager. Preston are making good progress under Grayson but believe me there would be even more frustration from our fan base if he was our manager.

The fact that we have spent more money than we have in recent years and probably more pertinently we are paying top dollar to watch us is IMO the big factor behind the split opinions on here. I don't personally think you can fault DC much for the decisions he has made and in truth had to make to make us more competitive  in a division that is premier league 2 in all but name.

With 9 games to go we still have a decent shout of making the play-offs and I still believe we will as we have the experience and talent to cope with a run-in. Hopefully suspensions and injuries won't impact us too much but that is why we have invested in the squad perhaps more than the first eleven.

I believe we'll be stronger next season particularly if we're still in the championship which we may well be?

As for Carlos he's had us regardless of budget in the play-off mix for two consecutive seasons and of course was only 90 minutes away last season from returning us to the promised land.

I've been mystified by some decisions he's made this season but this season was always going to be harder and he's just about handled things as well as could've been expected. I don't believe he'll get the sack in the summer particularly if we've finished in the Top 6 but he may well choose to leave by his own accord? I think it would be hard to replace him TBH as a lot of the managers mentioned on here I believe would struggle to cope with the split personality of a fan base we have. I think a foreign coach can handle expectations that bit better because they work with more confidence and freedom as they don't fear the sack as it's expected on the continent and this is a reason IMO why Carlos has done well.

I think we're a club on the move in the right direction but I think it would help if our fan base stopped worrying about your Sheffield United's, Leeds', Huddersfield's and Fulham's of this world and concentrated on ourselves and what we can control.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

While my post last night was clearly fueled by numerous beers followed by some lovely caramel vodka (served over ice, it's the future) is clear from the continuing debate and self justification that the negativity will prevail. 

People aren't giving the team any slack, or acknowledgement of just how many injuries we are struggling with just now 

I really don't understand why people can't just support. I'm trying to understand, fancy explaining? 

I do support, every time I go through the turnstile at Hillsborough I leave my concerns at the gate and get behind the team 100% and I believe that the vast majority of Wednesday fans do the same. At the end of the day we all want the same thing.

I will come on a forum where I thought people were encouraged to discuss their views on Wednesday however and share my concerns with what is happening on the pitch however, I don't see what's wrong with that? Owlstalk would be a very boring place if people agreed all the time.

I also don't know why people define that as not supporting the team?

10 hours ago, Dot said:

how about we try something radical

stop the toxic atmosphere at Hillsborough...the moans and groans every time a pass goes astray

the divs on here who cant wait for a bad result so they can mump and moan shut the f up (or better still venture out from behind their keyboards and actually go to a game)

Carlos isn't leaving now despite the cry babies shouting for his head

how about we create some positivity and will us over the line?

radical I know

Exactly mate. We are battling for a playoff spot and people are talking about who the next manager should be?!? It's not helpful. A fans opinion can be useful to the club but right now, the team needs support.