Poll: Man of the Match vs Burton Albion...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Burton Albion  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Burton Albion?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Sasso
    • Loovens
    • Fox
    • Jones
    • Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Rhodes
    • Forestieri
    • Winnall
    • Reach
    • Fletcher
    • Buckley

Jones edged it for me. Looked the most comfortable on the ball and had a bit of intelligence to his play.

Overall though it was the same performance I've seen umpteen times this season. 

No ideas. No direction. No clue apart from side to side to side to side to side to side....and very few decent chances.

A frustrating night which I feared would play out how it did. We are simply unable to break down the sides that camp out with men behind the ball. It was the same Vs. Rotherham and Wigan but our luck was in. Their goal was unbelievable but once you take the lead against this type of team, you cannot concede. I think tonight highlighted how poor our full backs are too - we moved it out wide a lot but most of their balls in were crap. We also lack any invention when we move it through our full backs - it's virtually a waste of time.

Fans were poor - what's happened to the lads on the North or anybody on the bloody Kop!?

Westwood 6 - not a lot to do and nothing he could do for the goal. Poor kicking.

Hunt 5 - poor deliveries and has little about him in attack most of the time.

Sasso 7 - easy night defensively.

Loovens 7 - as above.

Fox 5 - poor tonight. Looked very limited. 

Wallace 8 - was our best player. Not sure why he went off!?!?

Jones 8 MOM - played very well tonight. Tried to keep the ball moving and played some good forward balls. Held firm defensively when we needed him.

Bannan 8 - tried so hard and was quality on the ball. We just need more goals from him.

Nando 6 - didn't look comfortable in the first half. Lacked composure. We rely on him to come up with something special on  nights like tonight but it never looked likely.

Winnall 6 - battled hard as ever but sometimes lacks quality when he has time.

Rhodes 7 - some very intelligent headers to link up play. Burton played so deep that we never really fashioned any chances for him.

Subs

Reach 8 - made a great impact and put some quality balls in.

Fletcher 5 - seems to offer very little when he comes on as a sub. Nuhiu would have been a better option tonight.

Buckley 6 - did ok. 

P.S. Where the hell was Macca? And where is Abdi, Hooper and Lees????

Westwood - 7 - couldn't stop the goal. But a great save just before it.

Hunt - 7 -Linked up well with Wallace first half and was trying to find the cross.

Loovens - 7 - Solid, although the odd iffy moment early doors.

Sasso - 8 - another good game under his belt. Loves a venture forward to, which gives him an advantage over Lees / Loovens

Fox - 7 - got down the wing a lot, like fox tried to get the ball in. 

Wallace - 8 - nice goal, enough said really.

Bannan - 7 - some nice link up and passing, but a few went wayward too, and set pieces weren't working for him.

Jones - 8 - defensively superb, wish he moved it along quicke (see thread on Him) but best game so far.

FF - 7 - some nice attempts at goal, and good play. But before there goal was rather greedy instead of laying winnal off.

Winall - 7 - feel sorry for him, works well off the ball, but just can't seem to grab a goal, sure FF blocked his shot from going in.

Rhodes - 7 - won a lot of headers and flick ons, player wel with what he had.

Reach - 8.5 - My choice for man of match. Seemed to up the tempo a lot more when he came on, and he played some delightful balls into the box. Impressed with that second half from him.

Fltecher - 5 - offered very little. Would have kept winnal on.

Buckley - 6 - some nice touches, but not enough game time to really have a massive impact. 

Wasnt a bad game at all tonight, Burton came to make sure they didn't lose, so was never going to be easy. 

Yeah we struggled to break them down, but on another night some of those ranged shots and pinballs in the box could have quite easily made it a different story.

4 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Jones edged it for me. Looked the most comfortable on the ball and had a bit of intelligence to his play.

Overall though it was the same performance I've seen umpteen times this season. 

No ideas. No direction. No clue apart from side to side to side to side to side to side....and very few decent chances.

This surprises me, although he looks sound defensively, I think he looks a little lost with the ball at his feet, and passes sideways on the vast majority of occasions, with no forward penetrative passes.  

Tough to choose between Sasso, Fox and Jones. 

Westwood 8 - we were lucky not to lose tonight, blimey what a save from Sordell.

Hunt 6 - plenty of endeavour, less end product.

Loovens 6 - he's infuriatingly slow to move the ball out from the back sometimes

Sasso 7 - good tackling and ball distribution, he almost plays like an old-fashioned sweeper with the way he carries it forward. I like him.

Fox 7 - crossing was hit and miss but got in a lot of good positions, worked his socks off and was solid defensively. I like him too.

Wallace 7 - scored, pressed high up and worked extremely hard. Harsh on him to sub him off so early

Jones 8 - very good, hardly misplaced a pass, very good in the tackle and made crucial interceptions. 

Bannan 7 - he played some very good balls and was the hub of the team, continuously keeping his ticking over. However, he needed to move the ball faster and tried a few too many Hollywood balls when frustration got the better of him.

Forestieri 6.5 - manhandled throughout but kept working, though end product was a bit off. 

Winnall 5 - lots of effort but don't remember him doing anything of any note on the ball

Rhodes 5 - looked isolated, albeit won some excellent headers outside the box, a shame he couldn't do more with the balls he got in the box

Reach 7 - he was excellent, full of energy and guile

Fletcher 5 - did very little

Buckley 5 - not enough time

Bannan for me.

He was the driving force for everything we did going forward. He put every ounce of effort he had in the tank, and showed great desire to the last whistle.

Best game I've seen jones have.

Rhodes was excellent too, shame that chance took a nick of someone infront of him

Sorry but I am absolutely amazed that people thought Jones was MoM.

He was dreadful.  Missed tackles and gave the ball away far more often than the few occasions where he made a constructive contribution.  We really missed either Hutch or Lee or Abdi in that second central midfield position.  I don't mind Jones coming on towards the end of a game we are already winning.  But tonight he asked for the ball, then nothing much happened.  Repeatedly.

Overall I struggled to identify a MoM, so gave it to Wallace because of his goal.  There were some periods where decent football broke through the mediocrity tonight, but ultimately Burton defended with determination and in high numbers, and Wednesday could not work out a way to get round, through, or under or over them.  If the only way we can break down a defence is with another long shot from Wallace, we will continue to struggle to get the points to catch the division leaders.  Frustrating that lowly Burton have taken 4 points off us this season.  We must show greater creativity and drive.

18 minutes ago, Matt456 said:

This surprises me, although he looks sound defensively, I think he looks a little lost with the ball at his feet, and passes sideways on the vast majority of occasions, with no forward penetrative passes.  

This 100%.... he's always square on to the ball which is why he has so few options as to where to pass it......it's one of the first things you teach kids......be sideways on when the ball is coming to you so that you have options as to where to go next......Jones is the squarest player I've ever seen

7 minutes ago, Reyt Part Timer said:

Sorry but I am absolutely amazed that people thought Jones was MoM.

He was dreadful.  Missed tackles and gave the ball away far more often than the few occasions where he made a constructive contribution.  We really missed either Hutch or Lee or Abdi in that second central midfield position.  I don't mind Jones coming on towards the end of a game we are already winning.  But tonight he asked for the ball, then nothing much happened.  Repeatedly.

Overall I struggled to identify a MoM, so gave it to Wallace because of his goal.  There were some periods where decent football broke through the mediocrity tonight, but ultimately Burton defended with determination and in high numbers, and Wednesday could not work out a way to get round, through, or under or over them.  If the only way we can break down a defence is with another long shot from Wallace, we will continue to struggle to get the points to catch the division leaders.  Frustrating that lowly Burton have taken 4 points off us this season.  We must show greater creativity and drive.

If you think Jones was terrible just shut up. Go home Brayford. 

6 minutes ago, djorkaeff said:

If you think Jones was terrible just shut up. Go home Brayford. 

Thanks for your thoughtful response to my comment.  What a great forum Owlstalk will be when everyone shuts up because they have a different opinion from someone else!

7 minutes ago, Reyt Part Timer said:

Thanks for your thoughtful response to my comment.  What a great forum Owlstalk will be when everyone shuts up because they have a different opinion from someone else!

Yes it would like talking to the liberals....

seriously jones won everything and stopped anything through the middle. He was very calm on the ball too. That's his job. 

Edited by djorkaeff

Struggling to pick one. 

Wallace was decent. Not sure why he was taken off.

Reach was very good, but only played for half an hour or so. 

A mixed bag from most of the others.

Jones did some good defensive work. Won headers, broke things up etc...but he was also sloppy with the ball.

Bannan was equally good and terrible in the same game somehow. Such a frustrating player. 

FF looked uninterested and was wasteful. Rhodes was fed on scraps. Winnall huffed and puffed but offered very little. Lost the ball way too often

Disappointing. A great chance to put some daylight between ourselves and Fulham, wasted.