Fletcher

Guest RocketOwl

The problem with Fletcher is he's everything we have been trying to get away from, getting the ball and going backwards. He always touches it and passes it backwards.

Who would have ever thought just two years ago we'd be musing on who is the ideal partner for Jordan Rhodes in our front line, let alone mentioning the likes of Fletcher, Hooper (who are starting to look like fringe players).

It is absolutely incredible how far we have come in such a short space of time.

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

All our strikers can make a contribution at this level, only Fernando though, looks as if he could step up

The thing is no one knows who can step up untill they do it.

Sam Clucas at Hull is a good example. Two years ago he was at Chesterfield.

He will need to bide his time. But I think some are being a tad fickle toward Fletcher, prior to January he was our main centre forward and was also victim of the long ball. Either Winnall or Fletcher could suit Rhodes and it will differ from game to game.

32 minutes ago, Kevan said:

For me there is much more movement from Rhodes and Winnall as a pair. It's intelligent movement that makes it difficult for defenders and makes it easier for midfield players to make the killer pass.

I think Fletcher has good feet and movement too. The issue has been that we have been using him as a lone target man for long periods and nullifying his ability.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I think Fletcher has good feet and movement too. The issue has been that we have been using him as a lone target man for long periods and nullifying his ability.

Yep. Fletcher looks like a player who wants the ball into feet rather than launched straight down the pitch for him to try and win a flick-on 30 yards from the opposition goal. If we can continue to play like we did yesterday, providing good crosses into the box, then I'm sure Fletcher will prove plenty good enough.

This is the thing Carlos has to stop doing .

Too many times this season Fletcher and also FF have been asked to work their socks off up front for the team while the rest of the team sit deep and give them no support.

It has also happened to Rhodes until yesterday, he has had few chances

It is nothing to do with who is playing up there, all our strikers are very capable at this level, it is about tactics.

Of course we cannot always play like yesterday, but there has to be a plan in all games to supply the strikers with meaningful ball

5 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

The problem with Fletcher is he's everything we have been trying to get away from, getting the ball and going backwards. He always touches it and passes it backwards.

Earwig oh,

Earwig oh,

Earwigo oh  lol Sorry rocketman. Just couldn't resist it after the last week.

Who's scored more goals this year? 

Fletcher has ability but doesn't seem to fit in. You can't knock Winnalls work rate. He's a tidy player! 

I do think Hooper would be best for Rhodes. He'd gamble more