Sheffield Wednesday could be without Sam Hutchinson for Tuesday’s Championship clash with Burton Albion at Hillsborough.

The influential midfielder lasted 33 minutes of Saturday’s emphatic 5-1 win over Norwich City before coming off, having struggled with injury in the week previous.

Owls head coach Carlos Carvalhal admitted a slight risk was taken in starting Hutchinson and though he doesn’t know the full extent of the complaint, the Burton match could come too early.

“Sam played with pain (against Norwich),” said Carvalhal.

“We protected him on Wednesday, on Thursday he didn’t train so (on Friday) we prepared and we knew that this (coming off) can happen because he is playing with pain. We took a bit of a risk, we know he can play and support the pain - he played at his limit we don’t think he aggravated the problem, but we don’t know if he will recover (soon).

“You never know with Sam.

“Sam is a special player, he plays all the time with pain and we never know if he’ll recover in two days or four days or five days but we have good expectations of short to medium time.”

Almen Abdi was also missing on Saturday, with Carvalhal revealing the midfielder had suffered a knee injury.

“He had a scan and didn’t train the last two days. It is not too serious but he had inflammation in the knee,” said Carvalhal of the Swiss international.

“Let’s see (on Sunday) if he is better or not.”

I got the impression from CC's comments that Sam really shouldn't have played, but more or less insisted. We definitely need to rest him for Burton if there's any hint of a problem with him.

Jones has got what it takes to step in and do a DM role, but coming on as sub he tends to look (understandably) a little rusty for his first 10-15 min on the pitch to me. Needs to just tweak his match sharpness slightly; we can't afford to rely on having Sam available for the entire run-in.

Burton are no mugs (and they're also fairly physical, which could be an added risk to Sam if he's nursing a knock), but we should have enough in the locker to play around them. Tuesday's a decent game to rest Sam and bring Jones in from the start IMO.

Edited by Mr. Tom

he is 2 away from a 2 game ban.

if he can get to mid march without gettin booked (twice)  then it goes up to 15 cards to the end of the season..

i do however stand to be corrected.

3 minutes ago, ANDY said:

if he can get to mid march without gettin booked (twice)  then it goes up to 15 cards to the end of the season..

Just got to avoid being booking against Villa and Reading than as be surprised if he is risked against Burton.

4 minutes ago, ANDY said:

No need to stand to be corrected

2 away from a 2 match ban, but that time period expires on the second Sunday of March, ie the 12th. So unless he gets a booking in each of the next two games, he can't get a suspension from accumulated bookings. 

15 yellows before the end of the season will be the next target to avoid

3 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

What makes you think anyone would know?

No one has a clue what's wrong with Lees.

I've heard some interesting info about lees's.

aggrevated his injury having been pushed to step up his rehab even though he didn't feel ready.

1 hour ago, ANDY said:

I'm pretty sure that he has it in him to reach 15 cards.