January signings

Are the January signings the ones that are going to make the difference? Looking at today's starting line up, all the players were with us last season apart from Fox, Winnall and Rhodes, all of whom we signed in January. The Summer signings all seem to be out of the picture or fighting for their place on the bench. McManaman is also an exciting prospect and also signed in January. Was our mid-season shopping much more successful than our Summer shopping? 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

If our summer shopping was better we wouldn't have needed to do much in January.

Fletcher, Buckley, Abdi, Pudil, Jones haven't had any sort of impact yet.

They are all very good squad players for this level.

When you see this post, it's hard to disagree that the summer window was poor.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

When you see this post, it's hard to disagree that the summer window was poor.

I'm not sure it was poor because as said they are very good squad players and give us strength. But the January window was definitely more successful in the fact that except fir CB  (but Sasso doesn't seem too bad), we added the finishing touches. 

12 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

If our summer shopping was better we wouldn't have needed to do much in January.

Fletcher, Buckley, Abdi, Pudil, Jones haven't had any sort of impact yet.

They are all very good squad players for this level.

You don't know until you try.

Player availability is involved.

Unfortunately it's not as simple of looking through a player list and saying "I want that one"...

12 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Are the January signings the ones that are going to make the difference? Looking at today's starting line up, all the players were with us last season apart from Fox, Winnall and Rhodes, all of whom we signed in January. The Summer signings all seem to be out of the picture or fighting for their place on the bench. McManaman is also an exciting prospect and also signed in January. Was our mid-season shopping much more successful than our Summer shopping? 

Even if you think it was, the debate is irrelevant as you don't know how things will turn out...

Fox looks better than Pudil.

Rhodes.......enough said!

But Winnall v Fletch is unanswered. Fletch and Hooper did well. Winnall and Rhodes are doing great. We haven't seen Rhodes with Fletch yet, so we can't tell.

One thing for certain is that we have a superior team and squad to last May.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Who wasn't praising the capture of Fletcher, Reach and Abdi? Few of us, if any, I think.

Pudil was superb last season; who was to know he'd aged 10 years over the summer?

Jones has been good, but overshadowed by the superbness of Hutch. 

Buckley, bit of an odd one, I agree, but has been sound, if not spectacular, when I've seen him play.

Clearly, after a superb performance yesterday, the Jan signing seem much better. But they've only been here 1-2 months. McManaman can't get a start, Fox was being slagged as another duff signing a few days ago. Even Winnal and Rhodes had their doubters.

Be in no doubt that the summer signings of Fletcher, Reach and Abdi, and Sasso will have a role to play in the run in. But we may have seen the last of Buckley and Pudil.

4 hours ago, slinger208b said:

You don't know until you try.

Player availability is involved.

Unfortunately it's not as simple of looking through a player list and saying "I want that one"...

Thanks for putting me right mate, I genuinely thought it was a big list that you just pick from, at least thanks to you, I now know.

Guest RocketOwl

Last season in the playoff final we bought Helen and Nuhiu on when chasing the game.

Now that could be Mcmanaman And Hooper.

4 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Even if you think it was, the debate is irrelevant as you don't know how things will turn out...

Mate, I think people are talking about what sort of impact the January signings have had, compared to the summer signings.

No one is being personal or negative, it's an interesting topic.

Obviously Abdi or any of the other summer signings can have a huge part to play for the rest of the season.