reach embarrassing

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

But then who will help out Hutch and Co in the middle when they are outnumbered. ....week after week.....after week...after week. ..

The invisible man Snooty!

We've both been on the same page re formation for weeks. I too am tired of us playing this passing game whilst being outnumbered in midfield... Which in itself makes things difficult. Ultimately, we've not recruited correctly for the formation we want to play... Abdi, Bannan, Lee... Even arguably Hutch would all play better as part of a 3. Hooped, Rhodes, Winnall all play better as part of a 2. That's fine, but we recruited the number of CB's needed to play as a pair, not as a 3. Eventually you just run out of players on the pitch and you're left short. 

I don't think there's a quick solution to the bottleneck we're slowly finding ourselves go down with the type of players we have

30 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Plays like a scared little boy. That's all I can describe it as.

He looks well out of his depth, like an U18 just thrown into the team and told play where you want, how you want and there'll be no criticism whatever you do.

1 minute ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Debatable

I'd like to be able to defend him but his recent performances make it difficult. He can seemingly play letf-back better than he can play left wing but that's not saying much and it's certainly not why we spent £4M on him.

I've been one of those who's been quite supportive over reach but since the turn of the year it's been really difficult to pull many positives from what's he offers as we currently play in.

We need more threat and creativity as a forward player. I still think he makes a better left back than midfield and maybe a run in that spot would make him more consistent in that role.

maybe as we saw against Birmingham he his best used as a sub. We lose our attacking threat when he starts. So by benching him two things could happen.

1. We create more and put ourselves in front and in a positive position

2. When he comes on in this situation he can be more effective as the game will be more open and he can carry the ball seem as he is leggy like against brum.

by saying this I am of course justifying why he should be in our squad and to be honest. I'm still not convincing myself

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

But then who will help out Hutch and Co in the middle when they are outnumbered. ....week after week.....after week...after week. ..

Not sure but Wallace doesn't help out too much. He jumps away from all the physical stuff.

Guest BULGARIA
21 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Wish he'd just cut his hair - that must be weighing him down big style.

In all seriousness, I think he's done well for us usually and his flexibility is almost causing his own downfall. Felt he was poor today and he'll know it.

But better than Fox? Yes.

Did McManaman do anything of note 2nd half though? No.

His deliveries should be tailor made for Rhodes and co - shunting him to left back again just because all our left backs are awful doesn't help him whatsoever.

spot on. 

Had a poor game today (no worse than a few others though), but some of the comments are embarrassing. 

Have to feel for him being shifted around in virtually every game. Twice now he's had to fill in for Fox who's been dragged off after a shocker. 

He's not really a left back or an out and out left winger. A lot of his good work comes through the middle, but tbh after seeing him against Forest, I think the right wing may be his ideal position. He looked comfortable there. 

I'm still in defense of Reach, as poor as he certainly was on the ball today (and, yes, as he has been a few other times...he's also been very good a few times).

I think he's got potential to be another Lee-type running/busywork player for us, admittedly less tenacious but with better vision. But we're wrecking him at the moment by just using him as all-purpose grouting: wherever there's a gap, shove him in and ask him to play basically the same sort of game but in another area of the pitch. Doesn't work for him or us, and just knackers him out every match.

I don't wanna see him at LB - the times he has impressed on the ball (and there have been a good few) have *not* been in our own defensive third. The only reason he can technically 'do a job' at LB is that he constantly runs back there after attacks, and doesn't get caught way out of position too often. He's not a stopper though; back there, he's just another Wednesday shirt between the attacker and our goal. It could be more or less anyone, except maybe Bannan or Wallce.

For me we need to play him consistently on either wing, where he's good at finding a line to run for making a cross, with Macca playing on the other side doing the same (or cutting inside, which isn't such a strong option for Reach, so I'd tend to play Reach left). Since we've taken on so many strikers, no excuse for not always having two to aim at in the box, so get two in there for every attack. So often today and previous games we only seem to have one to aim at.

If Reach doesn't come good after a decent run of games played regularly in his proper position to bed in, then fine, I've no problem being proved wrong. Trouble is, in our current scenario we really can't afford to be proved wrong.

Edited by Mr. Tom