Wallace - not a winger

Every time Wallace starts as a winger we play badly.  Yes he has moments of skill and gets the odd goal but we've spent a fortune on strikers and Wallace rarely gets past his man, let alone puts in crosses that the likes of Rhodes, Winnall etc could get on the end of.  Surely Macmanaman and/or Buckley need to get a run out down the wing. Actually Wallace would do better in central midfield.

3 minutes ago, Siggijonsson said:

Every time Wallace starts as a winger we play badly.  Yes he has moments of skill and gets the odd goal but we've spent a fortune on strikers and Wallace rarely gets past his man, let alone puts in crosses that the likes of Rhodes, Winnall etc could get on the end of.  Surely Macmanaman and/or Buckley need to get a run out down the wing. Actually Wallace would do better in central midfield.

Thought the same about Wallace since last season. He doesn't take people on and contributes very little the odd stunning strike aside.

In the summer, I thought he would have been away, but when he got an extension I thought that he would be useful as a squad player. 

Him and Bannan are two of the main reasons we haven't pushed on this year. Both decent enough players, but in actual fact the type of player that we needed to upgrade to become a better team.

In fact, I think we did upgrade them with Mcmanaman and Abdi, but for some bizarre reason Carlos has stuck with the old guard, giving us a midfield that invites teams on to them and never takes control of the match. 

Very frustrating. 

Wallace is a winger but Carlos is setting the team shape up so that the "wide" midfield players play narrow. It's why Mcmanaman can't get a game because he really is a winger and doesn't fit our system.

At least in the 2nd half Carlos changed it, Wallace went out wide and got a lot more involved and put a lot of crosses in from the right, and we also finally got to see Mcmanaman involved when we changed to a system that could accommodate him. 

As said in the wingers thread, I think we should start games at home with wide attacking players to give more options when we win the ball and start stretching teams. Whether it's Wallace, Reach, Mamanaman, or Forestieri matters little, they are all good enough.

42 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

He is an out and out winger, but clearly being told to play narrow. 

The opposite of Bannan.

Anyone got an idea how to solve this puzzle?

It's simple this is the verdict from the star 15 mins on the pitch

Star man: Callum McManaman

Just now, paul92vr6 said:

Can't disagree but the question was how do we solve the winger problem.

He did more in the time he was on than the other two put together.

We start with McManaman and either Reach or Forestieri out wide. I would like to see this on Saturday

Westwood

Hunt   Lees   Loovens  Fox

McManaman Hutch Abdi Reach

Rhodes   Forestieri

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We start with McManaman and either Reach or Forestieri out wide. I would like to see this on Saturday

Westwood

Hunt   Lees   Loovens  Fox

McManaman Hutch Abdi Reach

Rhodes   Forestieri

A decent side but I don't think it suits FF with his back to goal 

I think as we saw in the 2nd half he looked better coming from deep .

If Mcmanaman by some miracle does start he best have a blinder otherwise it's back to safety first football

And the same with Abdi