Sasso

Guest RocketOwl

I said in January that we should go for another centre-back as we need Hutch in midfield and Sasso would not feature in many other defences going for promotion - good on the ball, decent tackler but a bit weak in physical challenges and not great in the air.

He was excellent in some games last season, like Fulham away, but very suspect in others like Bolton at home  and Wolves this season - even though we kept a clean sheet.

Happy to admit he has proven me wrong in the last 4 games and will be delighted if he continues to do so. The mistake yesterday was a complacent one, as others have said plenty of players have been caught like that before, as long as he learns from it and it doesn't happen again for a while it's nothing something we need to dwell on.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I knew someone would post this.  He isn't the best player in the world but he is solid back up and he's improving.  Just like he wasn't the hero everyone made him out to be against Blackburn, he wasn't the villain yesterday either.  It's a mistake and we all make them but it didn't cost us.

Im more than happy with Sasso in the team If Lees or Loovens are unavailable.

3 hours ago, Babushka1867 said:

I said to my mate before kick-off yesterday that Sasso and Pudil playing at the back was only concern against an average Forest side. Not necessarily that Sasso's not good enough as third choice, just that he goes through stages in all his games where he appears to ball watch and switch off, giving the opposition a chance. There were a couple of times in the first half yesterday where a long ball was played from the back and he watches the ball go over his head before reacting and starting to run back. Both times it put Forest in a good attacking position with Brereton.

A lot can be said for stats and percentages when he's in the team but I still feel more confident with Lees in the side. We've been fortunate this season with injuries to defenders so hopefully Lees will be back sooner rather than later.

I have to say I couldn't understand what was happening first 25 mins with our defence yesterday. Four times Sasso and Loovens let bog standard straight balls through the middle for their forwards to run onto when they just needed heading away. 

Lees will be back in when fit but Sasso has done ok which has meant we have not had to rush Lees back too soon and hopefully he will be back 100% for the Leeds game

4 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Sasso struggles against physical strikers. He is easily pushed off the ball and loses his headers by getting caught up tangled with the man, where as Lees is stronger and can stand his ground.

Tbh I am not sure why I am having to defend myself in saying Tom Lees is far superior to Sasso.

Sasso made Madine look half decent last season.

Let's be right, opinions are what drive this forum and we all see things slightly differently, personally I don't agree with your analysis of Sasso in this instance.

I think....the OP reads more like you are scapegoating Sasso as opposed to highlighting the view that Lees is better and personally I dislike it when we call out one of our own in that manner. We don't have a single player that is incapable of making a mistake, that player doesn't exist.

12 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

I wanted to refrain from this post until today and enjoy a great win yesterday.

Anyone whose read any of my posts on Sasso, will know I'm not his biggest fan. I'me just glad that Tom Lees injury has fallen in a run of games where the opposition hasn't been strong. Sasso is mediocre at defending and an accident waiting to happen.

His mistake yesterday could have been in a playoff semi final and yet there were posters on here saying Lees may struggle to get back in??? He's been decent cover but he is a very very shaky defender who has mistakes in him constantly.

Woild anyone here be comfortable with him starting at home  to say Newcastle?

All I can say is "you didn't want hard enough"

Sasso has grown in confidence in the time he has replaced Tom Lees. Thing about growing your confidence is it's great until you make a rick. I'm sure if that situation arises again it will be sailing out for a throw in.

The strength of the opposition is always strong in 2nd tier Football, remember little old Burton giving us a football lesson early in the season !

Now you were going to dig out your book of 'World Footballers Who never Made a Mistake' lol

He'll get the blame for the goal on Saturday by the moaners but in actual fact the whole back 5 made a mistake in the build up. It's just one of those things. Sasso's done well when called upon. I find it a bit odd that people seem to be happy when certain players do make an error so they can come on here and moan about them.

Have you thought that bringing back Lees right now may upset the rythmn of the side. Overall Sasso has done well since he came in and has scored two good goals aswell, earning us points. Fair enough, he made a mistake on Saturday, but that's a mistake any defender can make. Fessi missed a sitter to make it two nil, but these things happen. Lees is the better defender, but he hasn't been in great form this season and to bring him straight back into a side that's won four on the trot, whilst he will still be rusty would be a mistake in my opinion.

Edited by Mick De Lyons

4 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Have you thought that bringing back Lees right now may upset the rythmn of the side. Overall Sasso has done well since he came in and has scored two good goals aswell, earning us points. Fair enough, he made a mistake on Saturday, but that's a mistake any defender can make. Fessi missed a sitter to make it two nil, but these things happen. Lees is the better defender, but he hasn't been in great form this season and to bring him straight back into a side that's won four on the trot, whilst he will still be rusty would be a mistake in my opinion.

why would lees be rusty after missing 4 games ?.....sasso had missed the previous 27 games when he came into the side and he's done ok .....if you think sasso is the better player fair enough we all have our own opinions but to try and justify it with lees will be rusty after being out for 2-3 weeks or bringing him back will upset the rhythm of the  side is very strange .carlos changes the side nearly every game without seemingly upsetting the rhythm .....

27 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Some fans probably don't like Sasso as he didn't cost a seven figure fee and Alan Nixon never tweeted his name.

Forget that a second and watch his contribution and you will see a player that does a steady job that the head coach trusts. Good enough.

Whats that got to do with anything?

38 minutes ago, torryowl said:

why would lees be rusty after missing 4 games ?.....sasso had missed the previous 27 games when he came into the side and he's done ok .....if you think sasso is the better player fair enough we all have our own opinions but to try and justify it with lees will be rusty after being out for 2-3 weeks or bringing him back will upset the rhythm of the  side is very strange .carlos changes the side nearly every game without seemingly upsetting the rhythm .....

How on earth have you come up with " if you think Sasso is the better player fair enough ", when ive clearly said in the post you've replied to that i think Lees is the better defender !! I don't need to justify anything to anyone, least of all you, its just my opinion. Sasso hasn't been out injured has he. Hence despite a long run out of the side, he can come back in. Lees has been injured, so that makes a difference. You don't change a winning team and Carlos only changes a side if we play two games in four days to rest players or players that have injuries. Fox is an example of this, who was injured and perhaps Wallace who didn't start on Saturday because he will no doubt start on Tuesday evening.

Edited by Mick De Lyons