Reach our best left back?

Guest RocketOwl

Guest RocketOwl

Thought Reach was excellent when he went to left back last night as he was when he did the same at Brighton away. It appears for now, the way Reach and ourselves play, full back is best suited to him. When he plays from the wing to begin with he doesn't seem to make the same lung busting runs he does at full back - I guess this is because our wingers are expected to tuck in.

Reach is far more comfortable running in direct fast lines as opposed to a Wallace role where he has to tuck in and contribute to the playmaking. Fox also doesn't get forward as well and as much as a Reach.

I think Reach should be first choice left back until the end of season.

He did well last night in both positions. Would have scored in 2nd half too, if others had passed at the right time. He deserves a lot of credit. Has always said he doesn't mind where he plays, as long as he's picked. Good on him. I think him & Fox will work well when they get used to each other. Pudil needs to shape up, or he'll be getting splinters.

Yes I would agree wholeheartedly with that. I thought him and FF ahead of him worked superbly last night, both defensively and offensively.

If FF shows last night's passion and work ethic in the next 15 games our left hand side is well and truly sorted.

Edited by Holmowl

When Reach plays wide left, he is constrained by CC, wanting him to contribute too much to his defensive duties. He should be given a little more freedom when playing him out wide left. I must admit I like Fox. He is a good defender and has the advantage of his height, which we lack when playing the taller teams, when we defend from corners and free kicks, which we had to do a lot last night.

I've been saying this for months reach is a better left back than a winger. For me today's left backs to be much more athletic this is one of reach's key assests fitness, and pace the way we play our wide men always cut come inside leaving the space dowm

the flanks this is where reach can be most effective.

I also think in nando, macca, Buckley, Wallace, and even bannan we have better players who can play that wide man coming inside much better than reach as I believe they have more of an attacking mind and use the ball more effectively than reach. 

Edited by fpowl

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

prefer fox at left back because he is a natural left back

reach isn't a winger ,so its bench in my opinion

impact player like the Birmingham game

Flawed logic as Pudil is also a natural left back but I wouldn't want him stating at left back.

Fox looked very basic going forward in the last two games. The fans are complaining we are playing backwards and sideways too much. Reach at left back helps us play more direct. He made some fantastic runs forward from left back last night only to be ignored by Bannan. He is also a very good crosser of the ball.

He has been far better at left back for us then left midfield. It also then allows us to play a more tricky winger like FF or CM so in turn makes us more threatening.

Edited by RocketOwl