Poll: Man of the Match vs Blackburn...and your player ratings,

Man of the Match vs Blackburn  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Blackburn?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Sasso
    • Loovens
    • Fox
    • Hutchinson
    • Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Rhodes
    • Winnall
    • Reach
    • Forestieri
    • Fletcher
    • Jones

westwood .....8 faultless

hunt ..............5 

loovens .........6

sasso.............8 sound and 2 good goals

fox ................4

Wallace ....... 5

bannan .........5

hutch ............5

reach ............6

winnall...........5 for the service he got he may as well have stayed at home

Rhodes .........5 see above

forestieri........6

fletcher ........,5

jones ............4  to give away a needless foul in injury time cost him a point

carlos .........3......why we need hutch so deep against a side like Blackburn i'll never know ,we were so light in midfield and it was crying out to be changed with abdi and mcmanaman coming on but what does he do, takes off winnall .which doesn't make a scrap of difference and  is just a waste of a substitution ...why he did that is utterly bizarre did he really think the front two was the reason we played so badly coz i'm  sure  everyone else could see where the problem lay .

Well, a poor performance all in all. Carlos really has paid off the footballing Gods well this year!! We are the luckiest team alive. I thought that we were very poor first half in particular. I just don't understand the point of our CMs in this system- neither show for the ball or high press and we end up just sitting back and inviting pressure on. Nor do the CMs support our attacks - IMO one of the reasons why we don't create enough chances. 

Westwood 8 - Made a crucial save to keep us in front.

Hunt 7 - I thought he did well all in all. Seems to have taken confidence from his cross Vs. Brum. After Wigan, I didn't see a way back for him performance-wise but I am delighted to be proved wrong.

Sasso 8 MOM - I have slated this guy previously but I am pleased he proved me wrong last night (I want every Wednesday player to do well). Took his goals very well and was our best passer of the ball in the first half (and was given all of the responsibility to play these balls by our 'CMs'. I also thought he defended intelligently - he didn't dive in and was more measured in his approach.

Loovens 5 - I thought he was shaky last night after a good performance against Brum. 

Fox 5 - Pretty average and nearly cost us with a bizarre header. Reach played the position better.

Wallace 7 - I've given him a 7 for his assists but aside from that he went missing. 

Bannan 5 - First half he was awful. He didn't show for the ball and when he isn't on it he is completely ineffective (as he is clueless off of the ball). Second half we got on the ball more and tried to drive forward. I'd like to see Abdi.

Hutch 4 - Poor. Barely got on the ball. When he did, he just went backwards. I don't see why we need to play Hutch in the middle when we are playing the likes of Blackburn at home. 

Reach 7 - pretty anonymous at left wing but played well at left back. I think he'll make a great left back.

Winnall 6 - Effort was there but he is lacking quality when it does open up for him. Hopefully this will come.

Rhodes 6 - Again, worked hard all night but little to write home about. Our system makes it hard for our strikers as they just seem to feed off of scraps. 

Subs

Nando 8 - Carlos you never learn. DO NOT DROP NANDO. He is our best player.  Could have done better in a couple of situations but made things happen. Worked his testicles off and got back to support Reach most of the time.

Fletcher 6 - Worked hard but again I pose the question, what service do our strikers actually get currently?

Jones 5 - This guy just isn't the answer for me. He seems to be low on confidence.

All in all, we got away with it again. How long can we continue to ride our luck for?

Guest Copthorneowl
45 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

Well, a poor performance all in all. Carlos really has paid off the footballing Gods well this year!! We are the luckiest team alive. I thought that we were very poor first half in particular. I just don't understand the point of our CMs in this system- neither show for the ball or high press and we end up just sitting back and inviting pressure on. Nor do the CMs support our attacks - IMO one of the reasons why we don't create enough chances. 

Westwood 8 - Made a crucial save to keep us in front.

Hunt 7 - I thought he did well all in all. Seems to have taken confidence from his cross Vs. Brum. After Wigan, I didn't see a way back for him performance-wise but I am delighted to be proved wrong.

Sasso 8 MOM - I have slated this guy previously but I am pleased he proved me wrong last night (I want every Wednesday player to do well). Took his goals very well and was our best passer of the ball in the first half (and was given all of the responsibility to play these balls by our 'CMs'. I also thought he defended intelligently - he didn't dive in and was more measured in his approach.

Loovens 5 - I thought he was shaky last night after a good performance against Brum. 

Fox 5 - Pretty average and nearly cost us with a bizarre header. Reach played the position better.

Wallace 7 - I've given him a 7 for his assists but aside from that he went missing. 

Bannan 5 - First half he was awful. He didn't show for the ball and when he isn't on it he is completely ineffective (as he is clueless off of the ball). Second half we got on the ball more and tried to drive forward. I'd like to see Abdi.

Hutch 4 - Poor. Barely got on the ball. When he did, he just went backwards. I don't see why we need to play Hutch in the middle when we are playing the likes of Blackburn at home. 

Reach 7 - pretty anonymous at left wing but played well at left back. I think he'll make a great left back.

Winnall 6 - Effort was there but he is lacking quality when it does open up for him. Hopefully this will come.

Rhodes 6 - Again, worked hard all night but little to write home about. Our system makes it hard for our strikers as they just seem to feed off of scraps. 

Subs

Nando 8 - Carlos you never learn. DO NOT DROP NANDO. He is our best player.  Could have done better in a couple of situations but made things happen. Worked his testicles off and got back to support Reach most of the time.

Fletcher 6 - Worked hard but again I pose the question, what service do our strikers actually get currently?

Jones 5 - This guy just isn't the answer for me. He seems to be low on confidence.

All in all, we got away with it again. How long can we continue to ride our luck for?

Thanks for your fair detailed and well reasoned post mate very good read for one who couldn't make it.

Only Sasso, Westy and Fernando emerge with any credit.  Bannon, Hutch, Wallace, Rhodes and Winnall were very poor. Reach's poor second touch was embarrassing, and even Loovens looked out of sorts. We surrended midfield after Sasso scored his first; we didn't put together a decent move in the first half, and didn't make their goalie work in the second; and we were second to the ball throughout. No tempo at all, so it's hard as a crowd to get excited and vocal. Yet we got three points!

Westwood - Brilliant save and solid again. 

Hunt - Not awful, not good. Average

Sasso - MOM

Loovens - So laid back he looks horizontal. Doesn't dominate. Shaky 2nd half

Reach - Couldn't trap a medicine ball last night. He's lacking something, not sure what it is.

Hutch - Should have come off much earlier. Pedestrian for 30 minutes through injury. Plays too deep

Bannan - Waste of space last night. Needs a rest. There were gaping holes in our midfield

Wallace - Good delivery but poor otherwise. Where was he supposed to be playing? Macca needs to start

Rhodes/Winnall - Both did well with literally no support or service.

FF - OK, tried a bit too hard if anything.

Jones - Didn't really notice him

Fletcher - Did ok

Very poor performance but a win. Fair to say if we play like that against Newcastle/Norwich/Derby we'll get mullered

but we probably will step up. Boy do we miss Lee.

I can't make head nor tail of Carlos in his RS interviews. WTF is he talking about? I compare his interviews (if you can call it that)

to Hecky and toytowns manager and there's a world of difference.. maybe our players can't work out what he's saying either..

14 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

fletcher 6-won some good headers and worried their defence

You have got to be kidding me - I was half thinking about starting a thread about how useless he was when he came on. Didn't win 1 header until the very last minute of the game (that was an unopposed header as well)

Didn't offer us anything at all. He was brought on to do exactly what you said, but my word did he fail.

Back on topic, Sasso MOM by a mile. 

Bannan is becoming a bit of a liability for me. Analyse his performances closely and a strange pattern appears.

He invariably receives his first pass whilst facing his own goal, and invariably returns it to the player he received it from. He also picks up so many passes the same way, which means he's playing with his back to his own goal allowing his opponent to close him down.

He will make a run, but invariably it's cross field more than directly at he defence.

His reaction on getting into space, is to stop and think. This results in the attack breaking down. His link-up play appears so haphazard. Last night he made a splendid run forward. This was picked up immediately by FF, who went at speed for the through ball. Bannan's play resulted in him receiving the ball when he had run into an offside position (from which he scored the correctly disallowed ball)

He then had two attempts on goal, both well wide when he was in the centre.

This seems to me a total waste of a perfectly good attacking player. He needs extra tuition about wasting passes or getting into space, not being too selfish with the ball, and some shooting practice. His shooting is abysmal to say the least.

Complaints, yes, but I still love the little chap.

As for Fox, I see promise. His 'strangely headed' ball was in fact an excellent defensive move - a headed pass back to his GK, who unfortunately was stood on the six-yard line, and had to stretch to push the ball over for a corner, which we defended in our usual fashion - it lead to a goal.

31 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Bannan is becoming a bit of a liability for me. Analyse his performances closely and a strange pattern appears.

He invariably receives his first pass whilst facing his own goal, and invariably returns it to the player he received it from. He also picks up so many passes the same way, which means he's playing with his back to his own goal allowing his opponent to close him down.

He will make a run, but invariably it's cross field more than directly at he defence.

His reaction on getting into space, is to stop and think. This results in the attack breaking down. His link-up play appears so haphazard. Last night he made a splendid run forward. This was picked up immediately by FF, who went at speed for the through ball. Bannan's play resulted in him receiving the ball when he had run into an offside position (from which he scored the correctly disallowed ball)

This seems to me a total waste of a perfectly good attacking player. He needs extra tuition about wasting passes or getting into space, not being too selfish with the ball, and some shooting practice. His shooting is abysmal to say the least.

As for Fox, I see promise. His 'strangely headed' ball was in fact an excellent defensive move - a headed pass back to his GK, who unfortunately was stood on the six-yard line, and had to stretch to push the ball over for a corner, which we defended in our usual fashion - it lead to a goal.

Agree about Bannan. He plays too deep and when he does actually get on the ball in good areas, he generally wastes it. Time for Abdi to step up.

39 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

39 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

bannan is the 3 touch kid

needs 3 touches before deciding what to do

which is usually back to a defender

majorly overrated

16 hours ago, ItzzOwl said:

If Sasso doesn't walk this then it's time to close owlstalk. 

Westwood - two cracking saves towards end. Couldn't do much for there goal. - 8

fox - looked a little off today. Bit shaky at times. - 5

Loovens - steady game, did well, couple of iffy moments. - 7

Sasso - phenomenal at both ends. Every set piece he was up for caused threats. Deserves his shirt. - 10

hunt - not a big fan, and looked vulnerable tonight again. Does when good cross and some people forget he isn't actually that good - 5

reach - haf a few runs, and made a few overlaps. Nothing seriously bad / good - 6

bannan - needs a rest, thought again he wasn't poor. To complicated and does too much - 5

hutch - as usual a good game, does what he has too. - 8 

Wallace - Fitness seems to be better. Ran himself all over the pitch. Give it a good go - 7 

winnal / Rhodes - made best of the little chance they got. But no service really - 6

Subs

FF - wanted to move the ball along, wanted to attack - 7

Jones - he doesn't get any better. He made a clearance, but I still don't want him on the pitch. - 5

fletcher - took the attack out of it. Not sure why he came on, offered nothing to note - 5

Pretty much this.

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Good post. 

18 hours ago, bradowl said:

Reach for me, excellent throughout. 

Bannan was poor first half but improved massively during second when he start to make runs forward instead of passing side ways. 

Fox had a bit of a mare.

Forestieri was superb when he came on. 

Westwood made some vital saves towards end. 

Wallace was off pace most of game. 

Sasso and Loovens were rocks as always. 

Sasso

Reach excellent throughout ?

So it wasn't Reach controlling the ball like a brick wall on at least 3 occasions then ? His 2nd touch is usually a tackle i thought he was dreadful

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Why do people keep saying I've scored Wallace x amount because of his assist(S)?

There was only 1 assist, the other assist came from Bannan.

He was unlucky with the free-kick - but he was a virtual spectator for most of the game.

Yes but Bannan is boo boy of the moment so even though he was generally poor last night ( imo ) anything he does well is ignored